Universal Stormblades (by Kiloo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Kiloo_Jeppe

Kiloo_Jeppe Well-Known Member

2. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    So no ads, no no internet connection and no IAP? Great! Wonder how they even make money...

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There are IAPs, but till now they seem completely unnecessary. As for ads...still nothing, but I dunno if it's just me. I think if there were ads, the inclusion of a permanent IAP to remove them and double your Essence (say, for $4.99) would be a brilliant idea.

Oh, and...gah...unless I'm mistaken, everything (cloud saving, high score chasing, etc.) is Facebook based.

4. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Infinity Blade genre with improved/simplified combat controls. Stage based, no downtime/exploration inbetween fights. Purchase/upgrade system present but you will only be working with your weapons.

Fantastic graphics and controls are very forgiving. I LOVE the way enemy armor chips away as you hit it making opponents more susceptible to your hits. Online optional, your trophy count counts towards a world wide ranking system if you do have Internet.

5. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    There are other weapons. There's a 2nd sword you can get as well 3 other swords you can buy on an online shop.

I suspect there's more swords then the sword you are using is displayed by your name on the leader board .... and there's different swords there from what you can get in game or buy at the store. I see about 6 other swords there that have either a slightly different blade design or different pomel details.

So maybe 11 other swords maybe ?

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Later on, Swords have passive skills attached to them that you can upgrade. Even later sword can have 2 passive skills which is awesome. I havent gotten to a point to see if there are ones with 3 passives. The passives it seems, are at random, so tis cool to see variants of different weapons with different passive skills.

7. bluspacecow

May 3, 2012
    For those wondering about the combat system :

Slash on screen to attack

Double tap screen to block / dodge / sidestep (game chooses which one depending on the situation

You can parry someones attack by hitting the pommel of their sword in the same direction as their swing. So they swing from the right you attack to the right it parries.

Every now and then you'll have an opportunity for a special attack if you swipe in a certain direction.

You will also be hitting their armor and occasionally it'll break. Sometimes it breaks so bad they kneel down and that's your opportunity to be all Zorro like and give them 30 - 40 slashes in 1/2 a second :p

You have heal stones that work off the hits you gain on the enemy - so make sure to only use when you can get a ton of hits off in one game - like all their armor breaking XD

8. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    How fac*ing cool does this game look! Really a nice and HIGHLY polished game.

Attached Files:

9. bluspacecow

May 3, 2012
    I'm a little worried this guy is so freakishly strong that he can use a huge two handed sword one handed.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I guess they mean the essence pots which are introduced in Level 3.

The game is awesome, and I knew that Kiloo won't disappoint. This game will stay for a long time on my device.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cloud Strife says hi. ;)

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

These swords are made of Featherium, which weights basically nearly nothing.
    Big weapons are simply cool *cough*DarkSouls2*cough*.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Monsta Hunta is justa round the corna! :D

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #54 Vovin, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015

Or this one, lol. I am always under the impression that I can feel the weight of the weapons in MH.

Back to topic: I first tought the Summoner is difficult, but that guy with the battle staff who summons a force shield is a real bugger. Quite fast and his "electric" balls come nearly instantly. I make it by hopping away all the time he moves (at the moment) but it is quite challenging to find the right tactic for every opponent. I wish there was a way to deflect those charged attacks.

15. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Dude, just play it for a bit. In one setting I got to level 8 and had already unlocked the 2nd sword. There's a new sword for every level up of your character, so there's some good replayability here.

16. Game Impressions

Am I the only one who thinks the double-tap to dodge is the most annoying thing ever? It's a crapshoot whether I'll actually get it at the right time. And this is coming from a big IB fan, so I'm not *that* incompetent. :p

Also, it seems my swipes don't register occasionally. Died bc I was trying to swipe up to block a sword from coming down on me (twice) and instead my guy just stood there and took the damage.

Other than that, it feels like they plopped Infinity Blade into Temple Run. :p

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

I'll lazy out a bit and repost my impressions from the beta thread:

Stormblades is finely polished to a sharp sheen, very well thought-out and put together (and a rather hollistic gaming experience), balanced and smooth and easily accessible, and really ####ing purdy.

It is also very limited in depth and width, and not for me at all. It is probably the most casual take on the swipe-fighting format so far, and I check out mentally after one or two fights, and start wondering what Sirius is up to among the distant and lonely shrubberies of the Koroth Plains.

But for anyone who found Infinity Blade's grinding and rapidly climbing difficulty (and the intricacies in mechanics that revealed themselves and were necessary at higher bloodlinerebirthawakenings) too involved, or who is looking for a more polished take on the IB-influenced titles that have followed, or who just wants a very polished and continuous but definitively not skill-less casual gaming experience, Stormblades is probably among the absolute best.

18. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Kiloo games continue to amaze me

19. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I love the game! I was in the beta and as I said this game is nicely done. No crashes or lag. The controls are great. The IAP isn't too bad. I do not like having to pay for health stones. That's pretty much my only complaint. I made a purchase to show my support.

Billy

20. bluspacecow

May 3, 2012
    I was the same way.

Until I learnt that you can double click anywhere on screen to dodge.

So now I use my right hand to slash/swipe and my left hand thumb to dodge. And I lift my right hand momentarily when I go to dodge. iPad is set up on the desk with my arms flat on the desk.

This has made a HUGE difference in my blocking/dodging ability :)