Universal Storm Casters Ultra (by Get Set Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nickfury, Sep 10, 2015.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    10,000 coins to "evolve", that must be really cool! ... Except it's just attack up, time up and hp+ 1. So that's just a grindwall that blocks you from gaining xp... ridiculous, and the reward for "evolving" is mundane too. Definitely not the game for me.

2. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    One thing everyone needs to accept: With digital distribution, your not buying anything, your buying a license (permission) to use it. Like it or not, that's the setup, and while it is definitely a return to a "buyer-beware" consumer model, it has allowed for a proliferation of gaming options. Unfortunately, the over-saturation has exceeded demand and placed a squeeze on every dev, to the point where (like GSG) they have to make a tough choice to transition their premium IP's to FTP, or abandon them. With the choice to remodel however, out of respect for the customers who got them to this point, GSG should really consider a restore/bonus option for those who purchased the premium version.

3. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    #103 sakara214ever, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Of course it is not free and from my aspect by the time there was no profit as a paid game they should go freemium. But that has nothing to do with the fact that they did not care about us. I do not say that the money i paid is much or something significant to argue about but it is the attitude of these "devs" that is totaly wrong and unacceptable for those who paid. Just think about it.

4. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    No, Sakara, you are the one with the wrong attitude.

If they did not care about us, they would have released this app as another paid game that we would have to buy again.

If they did not care about us, they would have pumped this updated free version with timers, slower currency acquisition, and maybe a 3rd currency.

As they did none of that, I'm pretty confident in saying they considered their consumers in the decisions they made.

5. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Maybe maybe not. But it is MY opinion and you should respect it as i respect yours.

6. VidGamrJ

VidGamrJ Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2015
    They should split the game forums into Gameplay and Politics. I'm tired of coming on here to see what people think of the game and instead there is page after page of Digital Crusaders waving pitchforks.

7. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Okay are the sh!tstorm over? Which should I focus on upgrading, attack or dungeon time?

8. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    #108 Zeillusion, Oct 1, 2015
    I feel you brother. But the first version had game breaking bugs that clearly couldn't be fixed because of financial issues. So instead they rebooted it and changed / upgraded code and content.

They could not leave a broken game up it was unethical. To be fair it took awhile for people to realize that after a certain point some people would loose progress or get frozen. So it wasn't broken right away. It took time and by that time they had no cash flow to fix it.

Bro read the comments. They didn't steal and turn this game into a free to play mess / screw you over. They poured blood and money into this game, it failed and they had to pull it. The game was 2$ getting two downloads a day. So they got about 50$ before having to pull it.

Don't act like this was a Kickstarter that promised things and sold a million copies and than the devs ran off.

This practice was not screwed up. Devs made a beautiful game as a small team. It failed and got no attention. Breaking bugs turned up and they had NO CHOICE but to pull it. They than got investors I assume to help them make a comeback and fix the bugs and go free.

Trust me check out my comments or if you've seen me here before I am anything but a free to play spokes person. I can't stand certain practices. I've written articles on mind altering tactics and strategies that abuse chemicals in users and create addiction.

But this version is simply not that.

It's the same damn game except a bit more content and like 4 cheat cards that are a buck or two if you'd like to donate.

No need for shots fired. Don't be blaming me for actions of developers when you don't understand the situation.

9. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I encourage everyone to ignore the pay nonsense and try this game out. The original was terrific, one of my most played iPad games ever.

10. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    The devs did care about us... They did everything we asked them to. I've even had email conversations with them and they are extremely nice. They created a non instructive version FOR us. They could have created a disaster that requires currency to revive, energy, low card drop rates, locked out legendaries ect.

Play the game before derping.

11. Shiatama_0

Shiatama_0 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    This game is the game I play the most of the new releases. Great fun!!!

12. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    How is this a "grindwall" if it takes barely more than 5 minutes to farm 10k coins?

13. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    The game plays well enough on my iPad2, freezes occasionally but no big deals. It's the video ads that tend to make the whole thing freeze, and upon restarting the game I get no prize for the vid I watched (predictable, but not very annoying). Dunno if it's just old device issue or optimization problem.

Ads rewards are reasonable, btw.

14. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    #114 Zeillusion, Oct 1, 2015
    Dude I get 30k coins per run now......you can't buy gold. It's earned. I get like 1000 per gold pile. A "grind wall"

More like play the game for 10 minutes and get a sweet new cosmetic look.

People who have only played the game for 5 minutes or only watched a video should stop commenting. Your opinions are totally welcome but your intentions of bashing a game with false acquisitions are not really needed.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #115 sapphire_neo, Oct 1, 2015
    Regardless of how trivial the amount is (and I doubt it will be this trivial for further "evolutions"), the grind put a negative spin on my experience, especially since during that grind you no longer gain XP. The result of the grind being just stat ups was also fairly dull, far less interesting than what I had hoped would be the outcome of an "evolution".

Anyway, that's my opinion, feel free to disagree.

I've played to floor 20... is my opinion invalid?

16. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    #116 Zeillusion, Oct 1, 2015
    But within that 10 minute grind you get beast new cards, gold, and a sweet new cosmetic look. Also the satisfaction of blowing baddies up.

Your opinion is valid by the way.

I wouldn't call a 3-6 minute play through a grindwall though.

17. NFCT

NFCT Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Graphic Designer
    Chernobyl
    #117 NFCT, Oct 1, 2015
    Okay a couple hours in and this game is awesome. I can play as much as I want with no pay to play walls.
    It feels, dare I say it "rouge like", I have that just one more run feeling after every round. Everytime I finish a dungeon I have something to upgrade or a new card. The cards as skills adds a fresh mechanic even though I have seen it done before, giving each run a unique feel.
    This is defiantly a f2p done right. Sorry to the people that bought the original and feel they got cheated. Hopefully they will give you guys some free gems for some cards.

Edit: Another option for this pay to free uproar could have been to create a unique epic card for all of the individuals who purchased it. "Resurrect: revive player to one heart upon death, once per run"
    Something like that would have been clever and given back to the early adopters. Just a thought.

18. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I'm sorry, but they had what, a year to fix the broken version? instead, they left us in the dark with no word or promise of a fix. Maybe you guys have a short memory, but it was really frustrating at the time. I wouldn't say they were really caring for us back then.

And the "they didn't have money to fix" argument doesn't really fly when they spent all this time making a "superior version". They had to shut down the paid version because it was broken? Oh please. They clearly know how to fix the issue since the new version doesn't have it, so they could easily just fix that.

It's not a huge issue, I won't keep bashing the dev here, but what they did wasn't very nice and wh won't compromise principles just because they released a nice free version with no timers.

19. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't recall anyone saying that

20. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Wel, go back a page and read again, then? Dunno what else to tell you.