Universal Storm Casters (by Get Set Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Is there a timeframe for the update that improves control and reduces lag? The sooner, the better. :eek:)

Also, will there be an Android release?

Hooked big time on this. Very cool game!

2. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    I did not do this either. :( My attack is at 47 and it costs 15,252 coins per upgrade.

Make sure you max your stats before evolving!

3. Machiknight

Machiknight Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Game Impressions

SO after hitting max level I have some new thoughts.

It really does kinda suck having 1 heart, I have had numerous runs wherein I spend a ton of money getting the cards I want, only to die from something stupid within seconds of entering the first room. I think a good compromise might be starting with an additional heart once you hit max level. Nothing too crazy, but will certainly help with making 1 simple mistake. Especially when to ME the endgame is spending gold to get a really fun/interesting card setup. I lost 3 times in a row yesterday this way, and was flat broke in the gold department. It was VERY frustrating to say the least.

Another thing is the fact that if you don't max out your stats each evolution the cost to do so goes up. This annoys me more then I can say. I'm not sure how much it adjusts things but it is SO expensive now to raise my stats that it has practically removed the fun for me. I have really loved this game, but am playing it less and less because of these issues.

I also think that an infinite mode with no timer but ever increasing difficulty would be really fun.

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I agree with everyone else about the insane price of upgrading if you leveled too quickly. I had no idea that would happen and now I'm in for a ridiculously long grind if I ever want to max my attack.

Can this be changed? I really like everything else about this game and want to keep progressing...

5. bigghurt

bigghurt Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2012
    If anyone is wondering the infinite bug never ends I got too room 71 before I gave up seeing how far it would go. To people stuck on later levels overflowing barrel cards are your best friend. It keeps away the hardest trap levels gives you a massive boost in weapons and bombs and hearts and you can push the barrels around sometimes as shields. The lagging also helps you out sometimes when you have so many objects on screen

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Okay, all my cards have just disappeared.

I only have 2 cards now. I didn't do anything to the app, just opened it up after a few days of not playing and all my cards have disappeared

7. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #327 Intendro, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    I can pretty much confirm that the game failing to start up happens from filling your device to the point of the low space message popping up.

I accidentally filled my space to near full. The game now does not go past the "get set" screen. Just like with me using the junk cleanup app to temporarily fill the space to trigger iOS's cleanup.

I reinstalled the game after each test of the cleanup thing. Which, you know, erases save data and makes it default.
    So the space filling up is likely the cause here. Unless some other thing happened.

Has this problem been found and fixed? And maybe can you tell us roughly how long until the update is done? :)
    I would like to play. :p

(Plus the lag is being fixed, so I might as well just wait anyway.)

Cards vanishing might be related to this glitch. It's something to do with the save data.

8. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Ipad mini here, still having trouble with the app crashing as you try to collect chests by hitting the pause button and answering do you want to quit. You quit alright as you are booted out and lose all chests money and lives you had accrued. Also it crashes when you try to look at your cards to merge them quite often too. The lag in game is much much better and has not caused any deaths recently and the control stick is much improved as well. Thanks for your efforts to improve on a fantastic game. Can we expect more updates soon? Also anyone else experiencing the same?

9. nickfury

nickfury Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Founder and Creative Director at Get Set Games
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a great idea - I'll see about creating a post on the Get Set blog giving a list of all the cards. There are a lot! And thanks for the great card ideas!

Thanks for the great card suggestions - we actually had a card that doubled your size, but it was taken it because it ended up not working so well in playtesting, and it was in many ways the effects were similar to the Shrunken Head card that makes all the enemies smaller:

[​IMG]

We're hard at work on update 1.1 which will add a huge number of fixes and a lot of new content, cards and features. Lag and responsiveness are getting a lot of attention and we're hoping to resolve most of the major issues that have been highlighted so far.

Thanks for your comments about hearts and evo-based cost increases. We're looking into those issues now and trying to work out a balanced solution. An infinite or challenge mode would be very cool. It's outside the scope of this update, but we may see something like that in future!

We believe we have found and fixed the infinite rooms bug, and there is also now a fallback if we ever detect it happening again; you'll always get a boss room in your next room if you exceed the number of rooms you SHOULD have gone through to get there.

Have you restarted the game? Are you still having this problem? Did you by any chance switch from one device to another? We have put in a fix for transferring progress from one device to another - not sure if that's what happened to you in this case.

Yes, we're making the Storm Casters data more secure so it won't be cleaned up as garbage files by memory cleaners, which should help with this problem.

We're working hard to improve performance across the board, from lag to memory usage, so performance on iPad Mini non-retina, iPad 2 and similar devices should be much improved in the next update.

By the way, has anyone picked up this card yet?

[​IMG]

It's probably my favourite card in the game - just so fun to call lightning bolts from the sky onto a boss's head :)

10. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Whoa, for sure will pick up the game again once the update is out, storm bomb is just awesome with nice effect and hopefully will see some great content update in the future, maybe more various enemies?
    Great game again, thanks get set games:)

11. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I ran into an odd bug last night. I finished a room, and had one heart. While the screen was showing the stone wall as the next room was loading, I heard a sound like a shot being fired, and when the room loaded, my character had already been shot and killed right in the doorway.

A lot of times when I'm waiting for the next room to load, I hear a noise like crates breaking or something before the room is displayed, but I assumed it was just sound effects and had no effect on the game. Now I wonder if that's also the same bug, where the next room becomes active before the room is actually displayed, and I've just been lucky it didn't happen to damage me before.

12. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Still no enemies in any room. I hope the devs fix this.

13. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Same here. Even after deleting and reinstalling: no enemies.

14. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Aaand Storm Casters has flopped, apparently. Will not make its development costs back any time soon and Get Set are looking at turning it F2P (EDIT: sorry, it does say "releasing a F2P version", they're not looking at changing the existing one according to the article). They're not ruling out another premium title - they specifically say they want to support premium gaming, they say most people who bought the game like it and they like the number of forum discussions the game's received - but they're understandably wary.

A crying shame, basically - while it was maybe a little too obvious Get Set were hoping the IAPs would get them a bit more money/a financial safety net, they still didn't seem that much of a pain to me. Not even close to Glu/Korean grindathons etc. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess - the idiots who believe IAPs are evil full stop are hurting perfectly good games with this kind of knee-jerk response, and here's your proof.

(Not trying to one-up the developers from Get Set who've been posting in this thread, this just basically caught my eye/had me face-palming and I thought it might be relevant to the TA community...)

15. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    That's disappointing. Hopefully things will get better.

...We are still getting those bugs fixed, right? :eek:

16. derekvanvliet

derekvanvliet Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Programmer
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, we're still working on an update to fix the bugs mentioned earlier.

And yes, we're working on a F2P version of the game. People who bought the premium version shouldn't be affected much, but I'm interested to hear anyone's feedback on this.

17. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    An unfinished game that has bugs and glitches en masse flopped? How very odd!

18. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I don't see anything wrong with adding a F2P release, myself - if the game didn't perform like you hoped or expected I don't think you ought to be under any obligation to just soldier on regardless. Particularly if you're still planning on maintaining the original premium version.

For what little it's worth (especially at this point) I do think it always felt like something of an odd gamble, coming from you guys. I liked Mega Jump and I have no cast-iron prejudice against any developer - I've defended Zynga's games (specifically Horn and Solstice Arena) to "core" gamers before. I don't think you have any obligation to do cheerful casual F2P games forever!

But at the same time realising you were going for something so core in many respects (fast, surprisingly tough play sessions, potential instant deaths) did have me raising an eyebrow. It felt as if the regular multi-format sites ought to be reviewing it... though with the attitude to IAPs some of their reviewers have (and mobile gaming in general) that might not have helped. :(

Anyway, again, I don't know if it counts as feedback, exactly? But I'd say go for it, get a F2P version out there. You plainly have some idea how to hook people with that stuff, after all, and the game really doesn't deserve to die off. If you're still running the premium version for the early adopters, so much the better. :)

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Overall, I have enjoyed the game. F2P will hopefully get some earnings. I think that some devs in the past have essentially forgot the premium version because the revenues are not on par with the freemium. Sort of makes sense, put money into the product generating money. However, the small but vocal group at TA anyways will never let you forget it.
    Fix the bugs, keep the premium on par with the freemium and see what the future holds.

I certainly hope you succeed. I enjoy storm casters.

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Will it have Game Center achievements and such?