Universal Storm Casters (by Get Set Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    #281 fatkit, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    I bought the game today, was at lvl2 with 3 cards some while ago (suppose cards are keep permanently?) and now try to play the game again but all my cards were gone? And keep crashing when i get into the first dungeon:( fun and nice game but upset with all the bugs.

2. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I had originally given this game 5* but as I get into the higher levels and there are more creatures/explosions on the screen the game is simply unplayable on an iPad 2 due to the stuttering. In any other game I would just play more slowly, but obviously the mechanics here prevent that technique.

3. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Anybody playing this on and iPad Mini 1st gen? It lags so much on mine. No crashes but lags bigtime.

4. nickfury

nickfury Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Founder and Creative Director at Get Set Games
    Toronto, Canada
    We've tracked down the main source of the lag issues and those will be fixed in the next update, along with improvements to touch response, crash fixes and other improvements. We're keeping tabs on what people are reporting and we're working hard to get the big issues solved as soon as we can.

5. rockhount

rockhount Active Member

Jun 27, 2013
    What about the bug with 'no enemies'?
    This doesnt only make the game unplayable or hard to play...there actually isnt any game at all

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hot damn this is fun. Kicking myself for not buying it sooner.

7. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Yep he is right. Please look into that bug devs.

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Me too!!! Bought it the first day it came out. I really do not care. But i can not play it right now no enemies and the game stole 40 gems from
    me :(

9. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Thats great news....thanks for keeping it at. I really want to finish this game!

10. Shwqa

Shwqa Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I bought this game from the sale and just beat chapter 2. It is pretty fun, but that starting with 1 health is annoying and bad design.

The timer implies you should be moving fast especially during bigger floors, but the single health says otherwise. And honestly there are some first rooms that are near impossible (blue skeleton with traps) so you just waste a bunch of time dying and watching a loading screen. If you don't get a weapon and some health the first 2 rooms you likely to die by the boss, it is not impossible to survive but it just not no where near as much fun as when you get a weapon and a second heart. The game is strongest when your mowing down tons of enemies with the game decently large selection of weapons. Starting with 1 health is simply not as much fun as having a little buffer. I just raged quit because I got 4 bad starts in a row (first two rooms with no health or weapons). And this hasn't be the first time I got a string of no health or weapon. So I think I'm done with the game until you start with more hearts.

11. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    If you read through this thread you'll see a number of people have made this same complaint about starting with one heart, including me. I can say that with some practice I now feel more OK with starting with one heart. I can reliably start on lower level zones with one heart and not get killed, and even in higher level zones I can often survive several rooms in a row on one heart. With some more practice you might find it less frustrating.

That said, I don't think it would significantly change the game balance to start runs with more hearts, if everything else stayed the same. You can already get the same effect by just starting your runs with a zone 1 run to build up some hearts, or whatever the highest level zone that's easy of you, and then starting the higher level zones with some hearts and maybe a power up already equipped.

12. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Starting with one heart is fine. I'm an old guy, and my reflexes do just fine with one heart.

The killer is the lag. You think you are safe, but no, you didn't move as far as you thought you did, so you are dead. Playing on an iPad 3. Gotta fix the lag.

Overall though, really fun game. Picked it up last night, been playing it for 5-6 hours.

13. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    This is obviously a game that there is a certain amount of grinding necessary. This is also NOT a game where you can charge like the Light Brigade into a bunch of enemies and come out unscathed. I think your problem is a lack of ability and leveling, and has little to nothing to do with having lots of health.

@nickfury - please don't ruin the game by making it pathetically easy for the whiners. Or have an easy and normal mode.

14. fatkit

fatkit Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I guess I might have found the problem why cards are gone and crashes at dungeon loading screen. I first install the game, play for an hour, no problem at all, then I use phoneclean to clean up my iphone storage and that happens again, I'm assuming the caches/saves where this game locates might mess up with some junk files locate cause I have no problem with all other games. I'm using iphone 5 with ios 7.1.2

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I'm fine with starting out with one heart at the start of each level. The game forces you to make better choices by choosing what cards to use for each section. While the cards don't add hearts, there are strategic choices one can make to help you complete each level faster by increasing your chances of getting certain weapons, evolving faster or withstanding more punishment.

There are distinct advantages to making smart three card choices at the opportunity cost of the rising coin count for every switch. This is a very clever and effective tool that I've used to optimize my completing the levels and finishing the game. In fact, I'm replaying the later levels over and over because I can't get enough of this game and hope for more levels in future updates.

To the dev, keep the gameplay the way it is, but stamp out the bugs, lags and add more levels soon ;)

16. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Disagreeing with your opinion =/= whining.

I do not like dying in one hit, one mistake and game over.

You can go grab some hearts from early levels, which would be annoying to have to do before actually starting the level you want to...

So how about an option to start with more hearts so everyone is happy?
    But only make it do that... It'd be pointless to use such an option if it caused a disadvantage. Because you would instead want to go do the disadvantage of grabbing more hearts from an early level. :eek:

17. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    You can make your point without calling people who disagree with you names.

In any case, simply starting with more hearts won't dramatically change the difficulty of the game. In fact you can already get the same effect by just starting your run by running an easy zone to build up some hearts before taking on a harder zone. I don't think doing so makes the game "pathetically easy", it just means you have a little extra buffer when you start a zone. One reason I would like this is that the game occasionally throws a completely unfair start at you, for example by having 3 or 4 of the large sword wielders gang up on you as soon as you walk in a door, with no room to dodge them or kill them all before one of them hits you. Ideally the game would be designed to be difficult without throwing you into impossible situations, but I understand that's hard to do, so one way to compensate is by giving a little buffer to the player.

At this point my feeling is that I would enjoy the game more if runs started with more than one heart, but keeping it the way it is doesn't ruin the game for me either.

18. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Downloaded this yesterday because it was on sale, made my way to chapter 5 and now there are no enemies anymore!

From what I can read here I am not the only one with this problem but nobody seems to know a fix. I hope the devs patch this ASAP because the game is unplayable for me right now.

I am sick and tired of broken and unplayble games released on the App Store, does nobody playtest anymore?

I wish I could rate 0 stars.

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Yeah, sorry for that. I don't ever really do that.
    I almost never play these types of games anymore because I literally can't usually keep up with everything and just die. However, I have had no difficulties advancing in this game. Sometimes I die early, other times I get several floors or even through more than one boss, but that seems to be random, and would not change because I started with more hearts. I think as ColeDaddy notes, one has to take the cards into account at the beginning, and depending on play style, having those heart drops may be important. For me, starting with only one defense makes me a bit more cautious until I get some good material and can be more aggressive. Starting stronger every time would change the game experience for me and I think would lessen the experience.
    In the end it is all about sales and if enough people complain, or say they want a stronger character it will happen.
    For me the issues with dying are almost all due to lags. Lots of characters on screen, lots of "bullets" going off, and I don't know where my character really is because it jumps. So, I get hit and die sometimes.

20. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I do agree that dying isn't a big deal in this game, so even in the cases where I die right at the beginning of a run, it's not hugely annoying. I think this is because

1) Rooms are randomly generated so each run is different. I like games to be difficult, but I really dislike when games make me repeat large sections of identical gameplay to retry some difficult part. This game doesn't have that problem.

2) It's fun to see what cards I'll get next time, which also adds to the feeling of each run being different.

3) You get to open any chests you found when you die.

3) You don't lose anything when you die.

I also agree that it's fun having to be extra cautious at the start of a run. So all in all, I'm mostly fine with the game as it is. I think the only place I disagree is I don't think that starting with more hearts would change the game experience as much as you think. Changing the rate at which you earn hearts would make a big difference, but not simply starting with more than one heart.

I have only seen the lag a few times, but the biggest problem for me is the virtual control sticks. I've gotten better at using them, but it's still pretty common for me to get hit because my character didn't move when I meant them to because my finger strayed a little too far from the center of the sticks. To some extent this is just part of using virtual joysticks, but I play other games with better virtual sticks than this game.