Universal [STO] Special Tactics Online (by Beast Mode Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 22, 2015.

1. GameHopper

GameHopper Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    you need to have a score posted the rank to the leaderboards. It'll take a while for Game Center to get the boards up :).

2. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    Hey!

No plan yet but something that has been requested before so we'll experiment. The bomb objective really helps focus the game especially on multiplayer to avoid the other player camping and extending the wait time :).

We are experimenting with other modes too. Priority for the next update is new custom weapons followed by new campaign missions which are in the works. They will be added to Pro Pack #1.

3. Dongmaster

Dongmaster Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I love these squad games but I was wonder if there are any RPG elements in it?

4. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    to keep the game fair, your progression will be in # of trophies you earn for each win and what pin you get based on number of trophies. In the next update, you can get custom weapons with different rarities.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmm.. I can definitely understand that though the survival scores like best score or defuses won't show up either. Is that part of it?

And may I recommend in the future, when you're done with the main stuff, add skins to units or different portraits? Those would be nice. I always liked how Breach and Clear had different outfits for your characters.

6. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    hmm, did you play till you lost a round? I just tested on production servers and it looks to be working. PM me if it continues and I can look further.

Yup, lots of people asking for character customizations. Those will be coming as well as other specials. As the game picks up we will continue to support and add new packs and content :). This initial version is to lay the groundwork for the core gameplay and make sure it's working fine before adding more features.

thanks for your feedback and suggestions! :)

7. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    well I was going to come back to say I wish i could take just a team of assault guys in to a mission but it seems I can. after unlocking the full game I started playing survival mode against the AI and was happily surprised to see I could choose who I take into a mission :D
    -one thing I would like would be able to zoom out a bit more so I can actually see where the guys I'm shooting at are.

haven't played any other mode yet (probably won't play the multiplayer) but I'll be starting the campaign later today and so far I'm loving the survival mode.
    I do like the new warhammer game and door kickers but can't take them out with me as there iPad only so it's really good to have a game like this for my phone and it's pretty fast to play which suits my style of fitting in a quick game of something when I have time.
    can't wait to play some more (if it's quiet at work ;) ) and see what the future updates bring.
    any chance of sneaking in some unofficial 2d maps of counter strike maps :D

8. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I enjoyed Door Kickers, and Frozen Synapse before it, so will definitely give this a shot later today

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh man, I really like this game. It's like Frozen Synapse Lite, still tactical but not as complicated. Been destroying in PvP, only lost one game and only on a technicality.

If you're issuing orders and the timer ends, does it cancel ALL orders? That seems a little unfortunate, because even a partial execution of my commands would've granted me victory.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    While the action plays out in real time, this is a turn-based strategy game still, right?

If so, no optional async for online play?

11. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    maybe can create a map inspired by CS :). STO_DUST2?

12. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    glad you're having fun owning :). It cancels them just in case you didn't really want to submit those orders.

13. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    haha go for it :D counter strike has that old school nostalgia for me, I used to play it for hours online on pc.

how about a more zoomed out option? I still find lots of instances when I'm shooting at guys off the screen that I can't see.
    really enjoying the campaign mode so far. although it's slowing things down when you press retry and have to wait again for the text pop up to appear and click next before starting the match again.

14. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    we have zooming disabled after some testing and sometimes you might accidentally zoom in or out. I can probably add an option to enable/disable.

Also, ill see if I can skip out the text on a retry :).

I too love CS and was obviously a HUGE inspiration for STO. Really wanted to capture the tactical side of CS but keep the arcady action of the game. You should play online later as it really brings out the same feelings as CS in me when you pull of a sick play.

enjoy!

15. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    There's nothing like hitting two targets with one sniper shoot ��

16. NTea121

NTea121 Member

May 19, 2015
  17. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    sweet! just to add, the AI in Survival DOES NOT CHEAT . They don't know where you are and are given the same info as you. They only know your location if they see your or you shoot an unsilenced weapon.

happy fragging :)

18. GameHopper

Apr 16, 2015
    yup, still turned based. You have 50 seconds per turn max. Kinda like playing Hearthstone :p.

there's no async. The game is designed to keep the intensity full-tilt and has super streamlined controls to allow you to submit your turn easily within the 50 sec. We wanted to avoid a match that takes a month and people not completing the match when they are put in a bad situation. This design is our new formula to tactical-action multiplayer. Keeping things fast, smooth and easy to control.

19. Sexy Pirate

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I will probably try the online mode when I get some free time to play it on my iPad. maybe tomorrow night if not it'll be Monday when I'm off work.
    but for now I'm loving playing on my 5s.
    it's brilliant how simple the controls are and yet still feel like a tactical game but can be played in short sessions. total thumbs up from me as I have plenty of five minute slots during the day to fit in a game but don't have the time to sit down and play other stuff that takes longer like warhammer (as much as I love it)

not sure how you can fit the zoom in. either just a button to zoom out x2 or pinch to zoom? either should work I guess. I'd just like to see more of the map.

20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hence "optional". Let realtime remain the default, but add an option for asynchronous play, and add in the optional turn timers* most polished and/or competitive async games now make use of to prevent the problems you describe.

* Look at Starbase Orion, Ascension (or any Playdek product) or a chess timer for a solution to a problem that should not exits in the first place.