iPad still waiting for dream game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by redgaz26, Sep 29, 2008.

1. redgaz26

redgaz26 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    ok I'm not a big gamer but have tried a few on my iphone and there's just nothing that really has made a big impression on me yet, i really want something like super mario 64 now i know that will never happen but something like that where you jump around collect stuff, kill loads of enemies move on to different levels, you get the idea, something to match a ds game. ok rant over

2. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Most iphone games are cell phone games, or at best they fall into a sort of console-phone-hybrid grey area.

I think a few select titles are real quality productions with great value, but we're still missing that particular game that will be able to compete with the DS or PSP.

3. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Devs are treading on new grounds. DS and PSP quality games will cost more than the normal 9.99 ceiling price now on iPhone games. I hope we'll see games in 6 mos that will be close to those, provided the big companies take the lead and stop re-hashing simple casual games that indies can easily make.

4. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I have to agree. Most of the games have been developed from a cell phone perspective in mind. Having said that, the only game that I can think of that has some console quality length to it, that I've played, is SMB. The only problem is, it's so challenging that I haven't gotten too far yet. Anyways, I believe Rolando will be the first true DS / PSP type game available to us. I'm crossing my fingers. I realize that many developers are operating from a "quick/pick-up and play, then put away" mindset, but as the months pass, I'm sure we're going to see some hardcore games. Games that we can play for more than a couple of weeks or longer and still not be finished. I also can't wait for Need for Speed - Should be out in a couple of weeks, hopefully. That'll be top-notch too.

5. ticookie

ticookie Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    What the iPhone needs is a true, 3D platformer. Kroll is a quick fix, but we need the 40 hour stuff. Maybe if SquareEnix got on it...

But what I wanna see is maybe a 3D FPS, with optional movement controls (lean slightly forward to walk, push one side forward to turn a certain direction, tap to fire, etc). That would take the cake.

6. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    #6 dudehuge, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
    40 hour fixes or DS and PSP quality games will cost 30-40 bucks. You can argue that the big companies don't have to worry about the packaging, disc, etc. so it should be cheaper but you're wrong. Overall packaging and shipping costs only account for around 1-2%, plus retail stores only take 20%; Apple takes 30%. So big publishers are actually at a loss by about 8% when they sell to the Appstore, on the other hand indies without a distribution system in place benefits more.

I know I'm willing to pay that much if it's good; but I think casuals that haven't really touched a hardcore game before would be shocked at that price. So unless the AppStore market evolves, it'll be a while before we see these types of games.

7. redgaz26

redgaz26 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    the only 2 games I really like are real football which I think is quite good and super monkey ball which drives me crazy!!!

8. troile00

troile00 Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I think we have a problem here

I personally don't forsee any "quality" games the likes of anything Square-Enix would put out for the ds, being released in the near future. I feel that as long as the price appears capped (by the consumer) at $10, we will only see 10 dollar games.

I do not see why developers who can create games for the DS/PSP like Crisis core ($39.99) or even the Final Fantasy tactics A2 ($34.99), would intentionally create the same level of game but sell it for $10, when they have those choices open. Not to mention the surge of people "waiting for the price to drop".

I completely understand not wanting to pay $10 for games like frogger, but I hear that kind of talk about applications and games that are completely worth the money the developer is asking.

We may know that we would pay $30 for a game like crisis core if it was released, but that may not be the impression big developers are getting.

All they see is:

"I spent countless money hiring programmers and artists, who in turn spent countless hours creating and refining a role playing masterpiece. I released it into the app store for $30, only to be forced to reduce it to $15, then $10, then $5. Not worth it. Let us focus on the PSP and DS"

I feel the consumer culture is stifling this gaming medium, at least for the present.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Think about this, though...

It's very cheap to put a game in the app store. I'm not talking about development costs, but to actually get it into the store.

If someone makes a game that's going to sell for $35 on multiple portable platforms, they might as well release it for the iPhone too. They really have nothing to lose. If people don't buy it on the iPhone, but they do on the DS and PSP, then the dev lost nothing.

Think about it. Money isn't the reason they're not releasing those games. One thing you have to understand about business people is they generally don't like trying anything new. If they can't prove it will make them money, they won't do it.

(BTW, I work in the film industry. That's practically every producers motto).

10. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Amen to that. I'm actually in film as well, and i can attest that many of the same rules seem to apply

11. ticookie

ticookie Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Yeah, I guess you're right about the losses. However, establish a base to start with, and you've got a gold mine started. Comparing apples to oranges, PapiJump devs will probably make a killing off of PapiJump+. Get some smaller games out to start with, and eventually some major company can start to raise that pricing barrier...assuming the people in the AppStore grow up and quit complaining about pricing. Hopefully Apple's new AppStore policy will help the devs gain the confidence to build bigger games at higher prices, without worry of being blasted for a justified price.

12. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    #12 dudehuge, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    Money is the reason then.

Read troile and my comments. Big publishers only give up 21-22% of their revenue when they go the traditional route for DS and PSP compared to 30% for Apple. Those discs, those cases, they only drop to abosolutely nothing when mass produced. Keep in mind I'm talking about big publishers (EA, Atari, etc.) with infrastructures already in place.

13. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    Good thing Apple finally improved the dreadful review system so that people will now buy the app first. For some reason morons on the Appstore bitch and whine if there's an app over 10 bucks even if it is worth it.

14. mek

mek Well-Known Member

"40 hour game" for a 4 hour battery

i suppose you could play it whilst next to an outlet or computer that you could charge, or luckily if it saves your gameplay so you can pick it up and put it down, but takes a solid week of gameplay to finish

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I just worded that wrong. I meant that their first concern isn't the expense to develop a game for the iPhone as well as DS or PSP. If they have the game already developed, then making it for the iPhone isn't going to cost them much more. At least not in the long run.

Profit is everything to those companies. I'm not saying that in a negative way; business is business. Even at a small expense, those companies won't develop for the iPhone until they KNOW they can get a turnaround.

I was serious about the film industry thing. They generally want something to seem new enough to draw an audience, but something that has made money before. (Sounds like a paradox, right? That why we've had nothing but remakes and sequels for the last eight years). I imagine the gaming industry works the same way.

16. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    #16 davidmdowning42, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    I think Bugdom 2 dits the bill for a real game. You need to be able to save WAY more often, but other than that- it is a fully 3D game with lots of levels, objects, characters, story, etc. I even think the controls are great. (See my post on the "Help with Bugdom thread.) Well worth it's $3 price tag. I thought Kroll would be the first real game, but Bugdom beat them to the punch.

As far as the battery, for me personally it's a non-issue. If you are in a stituation where you have hours to play a game, chances are you you have access to a wall outlet. When you don't have access to an outlet, you don't usually have time to play that long. I guess the exception would be living in a major metro area like NY where you'd spend hours commuting on mass transit. Even then I can't imagine it taking more than 2 hrs, and then you get to work where you can plug in. I'd like it to go forever and ever too, but plugging it in isn't that big a deal.

Then again, it IS frustrating to know that the battery could last a LOT longer if Apple wasn't so obsessed with making everything so thin. It sould be a lot thicker and still be plenty small enough for my pocket.

Then there's the annoying short game = casual game thing. This is one of those issues that just astound me with the lack of insight necesarry to make this an issue. Games can be casual and ALSO be as long as they want provided you can save it anywhere/any time! I wouldn't even call that a compromise between the 2 polarities, since neither side has to sacrifice anything. Every game is quick-in/quick-out if it just saves automatically whenever you quit! The people who write these games are WAY smarter than me, but for some reason they can't figure this out?!?!?!?

17. ibwb

ibwb Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I don't think it's quite as simple as prices being too low. It has a lot to do with the way Apple has gone about building the platform.

The typical way for a game company to launch a game console is to bet the company on its success (or at least pretend to) and work with numerous partners (along with internal development teams) to make sure there are multiple flagship games upon release, or at least close to it. That makes sure that people have a reason to want your system right away, which helps you have long lines at launch, nice headline sales numbers, etc.

Apple did not play this way; they only developed a handful of things internally and did not work with external partners very much beyond Sega. This fits in with a strategy of building iPhone gaming slowly, and makes sense because Apple did not need help at launch with sales or generating long lines.

Given Apple's somewhat lackadaisical approach it is not surprising that publishers have been cautious with their flagship titles. There is no urgency now given that the App Store has already been released. Major publishers are quite happy to sit back and watch smallish games like Dizzy Bee make a few hundred grand, or dip their toes in the pool with things like Spore Origins, while gauging the demand for a full-production project.

18. dudehuge

Sep 7, 2008
    I guess we can all agree now that there are a multitude of reasons why the appstore games scene is somewhat lacking even if the unit is as powerful as a Sega Dreamcast sans gamerpad and has an amazing software distribution system. Now just type in your "Dream Game" :p

19. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Another downside about Apple wanting everything to be so damn thin is that the 2G iPod touch only is supposed to play on the speakers for games (and maybe some other stuff), and that's pretty much it. It's not supposed to play audio files since it's so thin (I think I heard this somewhere else on the forums), and they really shouldn't have done that. I wouldn't mind my touch being thick because to me, the speakers being able to play ANYTHING on the device would be more important. I guess this is another way for them to say, "Hey, get an iPhone, not an iPod touch. The speakers on the iphone can play anything, unlike the touch. We finally put speakers on the touch, but we decided to make them completely useless." I mean seriously, who cares about how thin it is? If they hadn't made this decision, I would've already upgraded to the new touch.

Anyway, sorry, I know this doesn't have anything to do with the forum topic.

20. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Steve Jobs said the iPod touch speaker "wasn't for audiophiles" - it is for casual listening only. Why wouldn't it be able to play audio files?

Of course, it won't be a high quality speaker anyway, but he was just saying that so people didn't complain about the lower quality of the speaker compared to the headphone jack. ;)