Still Can't Find A Good PDF Reader!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gekkota, Mar 9, 2009.

1. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I am trying to find a PDF reader that will show the bookmarks for the chapters, and also show the images within the document.

For example, I want to download a textbook with illustrations. One of the books is 900 pages long, and if there aren't any bookmarks it would be too hard to find the chapters. A lot of the PDF readers also seem to not be able to show the embedded illustrations within the documnet. Are there any PDF readers that can do this?
    I have tried Air Sharing, but the bookmarks aren't there to click on.
    Any suggestions? :confused:
    Thanks.

2. Scoobaru

Scoobaru Member

Mar 3, 2009
    I use Discover, and the bookmarks seem fine.

3. Can you email me a sample PDF with bookmarks and I'll test it out on annotater still only one to my knowledge that lets your search within the PDF text on iphone. my email is iphone@ (my website).

4. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008

I was going to send you a pdf, but annotator requires a Mac, and I only have (cough, cough) Windows. :rolleyes:
    Thanks anyway!

5. PDF+ this one does bookmarks

6. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks. I see they have a new update. If the reviews improve, this might just be the one! :)

7. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Maybe TextGuru is what you want. I really like it for viewing documents and typing things occasionally. I don't know how robust the PDF handling is though.

8. gekkota

Jul 17, 2008
    I finally found exactly what I was looking for--a stable PDF viewer--so I thought I'd share the info with others.

I tested GoodReader on a 980-page document, and it works great. You can add your own bookmarks. It renders pages quickly, and images look nice. The set-up is easy if you follow the detailed instructions. According to the dev, they will offer an option for a password-protected "private" folder in an upcoming update. It's $4.99, and worth it, since it works much better than the other PDF viewers I have tried...
    :)

[app]goodreader[/app]

9. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i was gonna say air sharing (thats what i have) but i guess that does not do bookmarks...lol

10. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I second Good Reader. It handles large documents with ease.

11. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    Annotater is by far the best PDF reader. It's the only app that allows to add comments and marks (which sync back to your computer!). They announced recently that the next version will support Windows, so I would wait for this.

12. shigzeo

shigzeo Well-Known Member

Seems like one of those eternal questions. As much as I try to coax my iPod Touch into becoming a computer, I still cannot do it. I have hopes to try out PDF+ soon though. Cheers.

13. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Buy a Kindle DX. Mine's in the post. :p