Stick Sports Ltd. suing app developers! (for using the word stick)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Heavystar, Feb 3, 2011.

1. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well yes and no.. its not only dependant on similar trademarks but also bound to the respective trademark rules in the country.. trademark applications can be granted in one country and not in another because rules are stricter.

if someone claims a trademark he has to proove thats its valid.. and the madrid protocol/agreement does not automaticaly extends it to all member countries of the protocol.. its not black and white.. it meant to make it easier but its no automated international trademark.

there is a reason lawyers earn tons of cash for this kind of work..

at the end you are working with humans.. talk to them.. talk to the lawyers.. ask explicit what they want to be changed in what region on what legal ground..

take it easy as long as you let apple know you are working out the kinks between each involved party, they won't remove your app..

2. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    Here we go again...

I knew I was in the wrong busines... I should just go buy a dictionnary, hire a lawyer and then star to (tm) all word from the dictionary. I wonder if I can (tm) the letters of alphabet and numbers...

Then I can 0wn you all :D:p

3. iGotIt

iGotIt Well-Known Member

Well, legally, if you own a trademark you are obligated to fight for it if you see it infringed upon, otherwise you will lose it.

Now... I'm not quite sure why it matters. I really don't like how we can trademark single words, especially when they're not unique.

Sigh. Oh well.