Steve Jobs is full of it

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    What they fail to mention is 99.99% of iPhone games suck and most only sell for 59p.

The DS has tons of great games which sell at £30.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Wait are you trying to suggest that graphs presented during an Apple Keynote, which is little more than a gigantic marketing stunt, might be biased towards making Apple look awesome?

WHY I NEVER!!!

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    WTF did you expect him to say, "Look everyone, Nintendo and Sony are killing us out there! Meeting adjourned . . . "

Quit being so sensitive.

4. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    It is a good gaming device, however just not enough good games on there.
    Apple is already dominating the market for trendy technology, not sure why now they're putting down other businesses who only dominate a portion of the market (gaming). That's just a really low thing to do.

5. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Probably to encourage more people to invest in Apple, and more people to buy an iPod Touch for gaming?

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I wouldn't consider it a put down, more like a nod to the competition, and a company moral boost. Those numbers could've been taken from 1 quarter/ 1 month of sales.

Nintendo/ Sony/ MS/ made similar claims at E3, not about Apple but about each other, it's just lame marketing towards the average consumer who will listen to stats being spouted and think, "Ooooooo"

Thank god it's not as bad as it was in the 90's with the console war nonsense. Or is it worse now?

7. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    ^Exactly what I was going to say.

Nintendo, Sony, and MS, spout the same BS during their E3 press conferences. I usually just roll my eyes and go on with my day. Don't feel the need to make a thread about it.

Same thing with Apple.

I love watching these conferences(from all the companies) though, even when I have no interest in the products. I'm not sure why.

8. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I know why I do, you gotta admire proper public speaking. It's a definite art above whatever is being said.

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Yeah, I do like that as well. Doesn't apply to all of the press conferences though, Sony and MS sometimes have really awful speakers at their conferences. At least to me it seems that way.

Some of them seem nervous, unprepared, unnatural, or just outright boring.

I like Steve Jobs(Apple) and Reggies(Nintendo) presentations though.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Haha yah definitely, that's what I meant. You get to see how different people prepare their presentations. It's close to standup comedy for me, as in like how delivery, transitions, ect. are setup. The heartwrencher this E3 was watching the playback of Konami's event. Man that was painful.

Also IMHO, Reggies is a class act. I may not always agree with what he says, but I respect his time on the mic.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Steve Jobs is good. I like how his presentations are simple and to the point (much like Apple products).

And I don't know why Microsoft ever allowed the lunatic, Steve Balmer to go on stage.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That's definitely the mature attitude towards these events. They're basically performances, and their purpose is to build hype for new produces, stoke morale, etc. Only an utter fanboy of the competition would expect a company to present the data in a way that doesn't favor them. In my view, the only reason those numbers came up in Apple's event is that both Nintendo and Sony had recently taken very public swipes at the iDevices and Apple in general.

BTW, in business, only the previous quarter's numbers matter. Investors don't care that Nintendo and Sony have sold a boatload of devices in the past. To them, the fact that Apple outsold them in this most recent quarter is a much bigger deal than people here realize.

I missed the Konami presentation at E3; I'll have to look it up. With all the focus on Kinect and Move, I though that MS and Sony's were pretty lame, while Nintendo towered. Sony in particular seemed pretty clueless. Kevin Butler was funny, but after Nintendo's incredibly coup with the 3DS, Sony's "we will market the PSP agressively" response was pathetic. Even without a new device, they could have easily announced a price drop, PSP Go bundle, what have you.

13. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    #33 Eduku, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
    Sure they probably sold more in the most recent quarter, but that doesn't matter when the products he's addressing are in a different position in their cycles (both are probably nearing the end of their cycles) than his own. iDevices probably sold more than PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, SNES and Dreamcast combined in the last quarter, but that doesn't mean anything.

So yeah, sure he skewed some statistics and whatever, but that's marketing for you. It's not like everyone else doesn't do it either.

Oh, and Konami's presentation was awesome, if only to laugh at :p.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    MS and Sony need to cut the improv feel to their events. You are running a huge corp. and you have people on stage saying 'um' and 'uh' every other point? Take a cue from Kevin Butler for crying out loud, rehearse!

Also Steve Balmer in that video looks like he's on speed. It reminded me of those cult-like Walmart company events where they sing songs and other off the wall things together. Does his approach say anything about how they view their customers?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As I wrote elsewhere, iDevices can compete only with existing products; the PSP and DS are Sony's and Nintendo's current (and recently updated) offerings in the portable market. Both products have been marketed against iPods at one time or another, and the PSP-Go was aimed directly at iDevices. The fact that iDevices are selling better is significant, if, obviously, not conclusive. We'll see what happens with the 3DS, and the PSP2 hasn't even been announced yet.

I'm gonna have to check out that Konami presentation stat.

16. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Sorry if my posts hurt your feelings. What are you, a 10 years old kid in tight jeans who´s into Justin Bieber?

Grow up and add something to discussion. ;)

17. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    here we go! ~

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As usual, you respond only to the least trenchant comment. How about engaging in a discussion, rather than hurling insults back and forth?

19. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    That´s because I´m afraid of getting pwned by kids :(

The OP has my opinion, and it didn´t change in the least from what I´ve read so far from the posts of others.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That's fine. But when you start a thread on a forum, the expectation is that it lead to a discussion. It's not about changing your mind; it's about reading other people's posts and responding to the relevant points, sharpening your arguments, conceding points if you're proven wrong, etc. That's how grownups talk to each other ;).