Steve Jobs is full of it

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    #1 Omega-F, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Probably already discussed, but what the hell is this lol:

¨Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said that the iPod touch alone outsells Nintendo and Sony’s respective handheld consoles combined, claiming 50% of the portable gaming market¨

Huh? Nintendo DS alone has sold more than the entire line of iDevices combined (iPhone, Touch, iPod). Let´s not even bring the PSP, which has sold more than 50 million systems.

I also find laughable that Jobs assumes that all those people with iDevices actually consider the iDevice a legit video game system. I´d dare to say that only a small fraction of people use the gadget as a gaming machine.

Steve Jobs sure knows how to spin numbers. I´d like to see what he has to say once 3DS hits the market.

Saying that during a press conference was almost as dumb as this:

[​IMG]

C´mon Apple, if you are so confident about your products, why do you have to use pathetic attempts to downplay the competition?

This is as bad as the Marcus PSP ad campaign. LMAO

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #2 Zincous, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    "Apple’s comparison may have been drawn from last quarter’s sales. Nintendo sold 3.15 million DS units and Sony 1.2 million PSP units, for a combined total of 4.35 million. Apple meanwhile, sold 9.4 million iPods, including models besides touch like Nano and Shuffle. It’s conceivable that 4.35 million of those sales were iPod touch. But even then, not all iPod touch users necessarily use the multi-purpose device to play games."

3. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Still, that´s really dumb. I´m sure the dude includes all the garbage, Lite and free apps. Does that make any sense?

Exactly my point.

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah Idk. I edited my post, found a quote that might have explained it also. But I don't know exactly :p

5. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, they're definitely dominating the competition considering that they also sell the device for several purposes aside from gaming, but that seems a bit overkill...

And as for that chart they show, it's definitely believeable. The PSP has a pretty small library (although when there's a good game, it's insane), and the DS has a decent sized one, but the iPhone has TONS of apps. They're most likely counting all of the crappy, worthless apps that some devs make for a quick buck as well as the well made games that are actually worth picking up. It's a bit skewed, but then again, what ad campaign isn't?

6. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Looks like you share Jobs mindset :rolleyes:

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Full of money? Yeah.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Heh my exact thought.

9. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    What's that saying Derek, about great minds? ;D

10. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Yeah like this is new. Every company does this :rolleyes:.

11. romeodelta

romeodelta Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Has a lot more credibility than that lame Sony ad trying to attack the iPhone and failing miserably....

12. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I'm sure a lot of iPhone owners don't play games, but surely the vast majority of iPod Touch users play games. I mean not many people would buy an iPod Touch just to use it as a PDA.

I appreciate the point that Jobs has no doubt exaggerated his claims.

13. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I like the 21,000 entertainment titles figure. See, what people fail to realize is that 19,999 are from one person.... :)

14. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    No, obviously, but it also has movies, pictures and music, and music is probably the main thing for a lot of iPod owners, kinda was the original idea

15. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Semi off topic but didn't Steve Jobs say that there was new designs for ALL iPods? I didn't see any new design for the iPod Classic.

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Here we go again, Omega-Fail, the one who claimed SF4 on iPhone will never work months before it was released, then mysteriously disappeared from the thread once it's released.

Omega-Fail is full of it.

17. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Then it wouldn't be a Classic now, would it? ;). That also contradicts the iPod point, but whatever.

18. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Fatty acids are good!

19. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    well i say leave the classic alone.. do not mess with perfection!!

heh.

chris.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    yeah, I'm happy they leave the classic alone. Afterall it's named classic for a reason.