Universal Steredenn (by Pixelnest Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 11, 2017.

1. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I fully agree ! and for the future there will be more people who won't upgrade to IOS 11 (because of the 32 bits apocalypse). experienced IOS gamers know very well that each IOS updates breaks a bunch of apps.

2. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I see no point in the daily run if there is no leaderboard. No offense but the game is a bit bare bones as it is, and not having a leaderboard for the daily run seems a bit ridiculous, and sort of makes the game feel unfinished in a sense. Having said that I still like the game and don't regret buying it. I hope the updates come sooner than later.

3. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Many typographical errors contained in the German translation. The charging status of some weapons is extremely difficult to detect on smaller iPhones.

Greetz Chris

4. Valryon

Valryon Member

May 12, 2017
    Pixelnest Studio dev
    Sorry about that. We didn't had any feedback on the translation and it's a bit hard to check for us. It seems that the pro translaters we hired did a poor job in several languages... :/

@all : thanks for your feedbacks and we're glad you like the controls. We spent a lot of time on that part so it doesn't feel like a quick & dirty port.

For the daily run: we encounter serious technical issues with Unity/Gamecenter that are out of our control but, again, we're on it!

Finally, for the iOS limitation, I'll see with my partners if we can reduce it to an older iOS version as I'm not the iOS expert of the team.

Cheers.

Damien

5. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Was it a quick and dirty port? #

Greetz Chris

6. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia

since there is no Gameplay video
    i add this one

nice game as well

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Any plans to add some unlockable ship variants?

8. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    This seems like a perfect game for the switch. I'm buying it now and will keep my fingers crossed for a port. I usually don't like touch controls for shooters.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    I tried this with my MadCatz C.T.R.LI and get the same problem others have reported. Controller works fine in menus, but when playing, movement works fine, but the buttons only work intermittently. When it works, X/B switch weapons and A fires. However often firing sticks on or off and the buttons don't do anything. The controller works fine in other games.

With touch controls the game works great. The crosshairs trick solves the problem of my finger obscuring my ship, but doesn't solve the problem of fingers obscuring enemies. So I'd still rather play with a controller.

10. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

No. Many games have larger issues than typographical errors in specific languages and this game doesn't even show any kind of relevant text (as far as I've played it) except for some boss bottom lines.

The MFi issue with some models should be blamed on manufacturers (and Apple, perhaps? You know they're famous for breaking stuff with their iOS updates) since every MFi controller "should be able" to work with every game that's been coded with the corresponding API. If it were due to a development mistake, probably no one would have been able to play it using MFi. It's not like they were too lazy to check every controller model.

11. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Actually the MFi specs don't require every controller model to be identical, they just require them to conform to some specifications. It's then up to app developers to make sure their apps support controllers that work within those specifications. It's entirely possible for a developer to make assumptions beyond what the specs say, such that their app ends up only working properly with the one controller they tested with.

One analogous situation is the way some apps only work with iOS devices with a particular screen resolution, even though the iOS specs allow for different screen resolutions. Another example would be the way some developers would tie their game's animation speed to the CPU speed of the device they developed on, and then their game would run too fast when run on a faster device. In both of these examples, the problem is the developer not taking into account the range of behaviors allowed by the specs.

Back to this game, I have probably a couple dozen games now with MFi support, and this is the only one where the buttons don't work correctly. What's more, several people have posted to this thread about having a similar problem with different controller models than mine. This all points to the conclusion that this game is making some mistake in how it interprets the button state, which happens to work with the particular controller/iOS device combination they tested with, but does not conform to the MFi spec.

12. Valryon

Valryon Member

May 12, 2017
    Pixelnest Studio dev
    I wish we had simple way to test a wide range of Mfi controllers other than buying them all, so of course we just tried a few set.

Now, from a technical point, here are the issues:
    - Unity3D's controller management is awful. One of the worst possible. Especially when going multiplatform.
    - So we use a plugin (InControl) on top of it to reduce the troubles
    - But this plugin cannot do magic and it fails for some controllers (arcade fightstick on PC, some Mfi controllers on iOS, etc)

We have some ideas to fix those issues, we'll see if they works for everyone in the patch we'll push asap.

Damien

13. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    How about the issue with the iPad Pro? The Nimbus works fine on my iPhone 6+ but not the iPad.

14. Valryon

Valryon Member

May 12, 2017
    Pixelnest Studio dev
    That's interesting! Is it not working at all or just the left stick is responding?

Anyone else has issues with Mfi controllers in steredenn on iPad only?

15. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes, my stratus xl is working on my iphone 6s but not my ipad air 2. Looks like an ipad problem

16. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Only the left joystick works. I wrote about it in an earlier post.

17. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Thank you

Thanks for clarifying on that. Still I found it easier playing with relative touch, since the ship can move faster.

The only problem with touch input is that sometimes your right finger might cover enemies' position when holding the screen for continuous shooting. Maybe some kind of auto-fire setting would work perfect for bullet modules like the blaster, shotgun, megasomethingIforgotwhatyoucallit, rockets, guided missiles, etc.

For other weapons with short range like the chainsaw, jaw, drill and beam sword, or the reflector module, the current setting works perfect, since all you have to do is position your ship in front of the enemy and release your attack/defend. And something like making the shockwave attack auto-charge and then tap to attack.

As for MFi settings, I'd like they added some movement speed settings (thought of MUL.MASH.TAB.BA.GAL.GAL, since sometimes my ship gets trapped in situations I could have easily evaded if played with touch, and also custom mapping (in case anyone needs it... Not for me, I'm fine with the current mapping).

For the record: I'm not using an officially supported MFi controller, I use an iPega-9025. That fact made me thank you, Bilboa.

Dev: Thank you. I still love this game as it is. ♡
    ★★★★★

18. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Hi Damien,

Thanks for the response. You probably already know this, but one difference between MFi controllers and some others is that the buttons on MFi controllers are required to be pressure sensitive. This means when your app gets a button press event, it also gets a value indicating how hard the button is being pressed. For apps where you just want to treat the buttons as binary on/off switches, you need to choose a pressure threshold where you consider the button to be pressed. Choose too low a threshold and you'll end up registering spurious button presses; choose too high a threshold and the user will need to press really hard to register a press. If you're using a generic plugin that's supposed to work for lots of controllers, some of which don't support pressure-sensitive buttons, it's possible it's using a bad threshold, or maybe the plugin has some settings to tune the pressure threshold before a press is registered.

19. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Same here. Nimbus works with iPhone 6s Plus but only movement works when playing on iPad Pro 9'7 (buttons other then left stick don't register)

20. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Game crashes sometimes (iPhone5s).

Greetz Chris