Universal Stellar Wanderer (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    I don't think you understand that word

I don't need to make a case. You made a claim which was quite frankly completely ridiculous to anyone who has ever actually used Win 95 or anyone who knows the tiniest bit about design

I mean, you're allowed to have a terrible sense of style but when you make claims like that your credibility approaches zero fast

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Had the virtual stick freeze again, Is anyone else experiencing this?

3. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    Listen up boy, take a look at the game's interface and tell me it looks beautiful. You seem to think you are the only one who can be right, instead of accepting there are other people out there who think differently. If my sense of style is bad because I don't like an ugly interface, so be it. Go enjoy it! But for me in particular it looks unfinished, ugly and bland.

Also: I understood that word just fine, as proven by the later comment by you. Let me help: "diva attitude implies someone who is self-important or hard to work with". In your case it's the latter for not wanting to accept what I said above (let me help: the part where I said you have to accept other's opinion).

4. Glenn42

Glenn42 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Hey guys.

As much as I like supporting every game maker I can, I am a gamer on a TIGHT budget and I need some serious feedback.

What does this game give me that GoF 2 doesn't, other than the in cockpit view?

Thanks in advance.

5. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Boy? oh dear me

That says it all. You've completely lost the plot and frankly i'd be surprised if you were a day past 15

Have fun having bad taste and using words you don't understand:)

6. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Devs?

7. c0mas

c0mas Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Of course :)

8. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Have you received any other complaints about the virtual stick getting stuck? I've had it happen enough times that I'm going to have to put this aside until the issue is resolved.

9. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    We have managed to reliably reproduce the issue. We're getting a fix asap. Meanwhile try to avoid exiting the screen with the finger through the corner :)

10. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Great. Thanks!

adin likes this.
  11. scottsoapbox

scottsoapbox Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I am not having freezes, but I have an iPad Air 2. It could be an older hardware issue.

12. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    I'm using an iPad Mini 2. Apparently has something to do with sliding your finger too far into the corner?

13. scottsoapbox

scottsoapbox Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#133 scottsoapbox, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    There seem to be a lot of negative Nancys on this game. I personally think the graphics are good. Certainly not Win 95 level. OK the map isn't amazing but its the map - lets put making the map pretty low on the priorities list. The actual game graphics are good.

The voice acting isn't going to win academy awards but it is not bad. It is perfectly fine for a video game and adds to the immersion of game.

I think doing barrel rolls would be cool but I can see how they could be difficult to implement and not actually make you any less of a target.

I have had the issue where I couldn't dock at the end of a mission (since I didn't yet know the tap the station trick), but was able to fix it by travelling to another sector and back again.

I agree that active missions shouldn't allow you to wander off for as long you want and then return to them. However, it would be good if you had the option of starting them later when you first hear about them (button at the end of the dialog would work). The early missions kind of keep you going to the next one and the next one and you aren't really sure when you are done with the tutorial and free to roam. I can also see the point that docking at a station is not the same thing as running off to other sectors on other missions. Perhaps at least a warning dialog - "do you want to abandon your current mission and dock?"

My one problem with the game is the level of random pirates (at least in the early missions so far). When I'm level 2 and going to kill 2 ships and return as a mission, I shouldn't have to fight off 6 more random pirates just to make it back to the jump gate. Later in the game this will be fine, but I've had to redo many missions where I completed the actual mission with little or no damage and then die trying to make it back to the station. Even trying to out run and go around all the random pirates, too many just appear in my rearview mirror. I usually can fight off 3 or 4 and out run another 2 (even without barrel rolls ;) but ultimately getting gunned down because they just keep coming. It really throws off the difficultly curve when the same mission could have 1-2 or 12 extra random bad guys.

All in all this is a GOOD GAME. No major flaws but a bit more polish could really take it to the "I play this all the time!" level.

14. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    #134 gmattergames, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Gave it a go. To clarify, the UI in the hanger is a bit plain, the inflight UI is what you'd expect, either way, the issue is no deal-breaker. The gameplay is decent, with the ship handling more like a plane than a spaceship, with no apparent yaw or roll controls. This leaves the experience feeling more arcade than simulation, and definitely more approachable if your not used to full Newtonian control/physics. No issues with floating stick (iPad 3), prefer it over the tilt controls. Little or no evasion tactics possible without independent yaw/roll; no way to spin and counter-attack pursuing enemies, it's always pitch around untill enemy is in scope. Again, it's lightweight arcade action dogfighting. The graphics are decent but not exceptional. If there is anything exceptional to mention, it's the audio. Music is better than most, but the real star is the voice acting, it's AAA. Not sure it remains as good beyond the primary missions, but so far it's great.

Bottom line: so far, enjoyable action-arcade space combat with some decent RPG character/ship customization/development. While it appears you can forgo missions all together and play as a freelancer, it seems like the best experience will be sticking to the primary missions, at least until you've advanced a bit.

You can split hairs on what this game is or isn't, but in the end, for all but the diehard, this should be an enjoyable experience, and certainly worth $5.

15. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Ok, I'm pissed. I killed some pirates, and went through some drugs they left, so I picked it up. Went through a portal, got killed by police. Loaded the game, which saved just after the portal, got killed again. Loaded again, managed to flee through the portal, got chased by the local police, got killed. What do I do ?

16. Swallow the drugs?

(Sorrynotsorry)

17. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    You dump the drugs from the menu :)

18. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Lol ! And thanks Vaipa, I'll do it. I'll ask again, any way of tracking prices for trading from station to station ?

19. c0mas

c0mas Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2016
    No price tracking so far, the only thing it shows the average price for cargo items while checking the cargo in flight.

20. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    Have fun trolling, you seem to be doing a fine job.

I hope to never see your kind, it's a rotten type.