Universal Stellar Wanderer (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Feb 18, 2016.

1. graison

graison Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Why isn't the planet background black with, you know, stars in it?

2. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Who needs stars when you got such a solid monochrome bg? xD

3. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Watching this closely. Anything CM used to be instabuy, but then they went down the freemium/pay to play hole. Learned my lesson about buying blindly then. Hope this one pans out.

4. roy2x

roy2x Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Only issues I have with the game:
    -Cannot do barrel rolls.
    -Mission that cannot be interrupted once started. Yeah I know you can do you own stuff before heading to the guy/area who starts the next main mission but it is still annoying.
    -Bland voice acting.

Otherwise a good game.

5. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Are you targeting the stargate? The "jump" button doesn't appear if you are not targeting the gate. You have to manually target the gate by touching it so that the targeting reticle becomes the large "< >"

6. c0mas

c0mas Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Hey, that was my mistake, we had to upgrade the minimum iOS version for a 3rd party library and I forgot about it.

7. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Well, if you think about it, the "standard" in open world games is quite silly: people give you missions and other things to do and you can take whatever long you want to complete their requests. In a realistic world, nobody will wait indefinitely for you to complete their tasks.
    In a game, a certain balance between realism and playability must be found.
    I think we just need to learn what the game is expecting form us and which are the boundaries we have to play within when we have a main mission going on.
    Different downs automatically mean wrong or bad, we just have to adjust to a different way of thinking.
    It doesn't sound this bad...

8. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Which could result in failed missions, if you're dogfighting near a station or jump gate and accidentally hit the "dock" button instead of firing :/

9. c0mas

c0mas Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Yes, that might be one of the downsides.

10. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I don't know.
    I've just finished the first few "tutorial" missions. The game looks promising but there are many details that just make it feel deeply unpolished.
    The map could be stylish, I understand it was inspired by No Man's Sky, but the map in that game is awesome. I don't pretend to have the same quality on a mobile device, but the map in here feels so dull. Being able to rotate and zoom it is great, but at the cost of visual presentation heavily under par with respect to the rest of the game I'd probably have chosen a 2D map with more interesting graphics.
    And the always on legend panel is useless: it shows the meaning of the colored rings around planets but the meaning of different color planet names is nowhere to be found.
    There are also typos and repeated text in some contextual help panels (like in the hangar: "P": is displayed next to the explanation of what is actually "S:"; the explanation of rightmost panel is repeated; the BL7 Comet in Dysons station shows the description of the BL5 Dolphin)
    This game doesn't look so complex that these little errors couldn't be ironed out before release.
    It just seems a little bland and rushed, which is a pity because it could really be a great open-space game.
    For now, I feel just "meh..." about it :(

11. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    #111 Tuzzo, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    That would be wonderful.
    Unfortunately there are only THREE more, besides TRADER: FIGHTER, ENGINEER and TANK
    Besides, these classes only give you bonuses to certain attributes and different class skills (special actions), but have nothing to do with how you play the game or missions you can accept.
    You can do whatever you want in the game: choose TRADER to have discounts in stations and spend your time fighting pirates or be a TANK and travel back and forth between stations exchanging goods and minerals.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Ah, okay, no prob then. Well, just one problem: I can't play it, but I'm used to this :p

13. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Ok, 3 then, but my point still stands namely that you're not forced into trading which is what he was asking about:)

14. ZorakZoran

ZorakZoran Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Yeah, I was utterly destroyed a few times before learning to run around at the time of contact. Nevertheless I find quite surprising how strong their weapons are for a tutorial mission.
    Anyway great game for now, even if it lacks polish.

15. Vaipa

Vaipa Well-Known Member

May 19, 2013
    Game designer - Dream Builder Studios
    Do remember that most of the time you are on almost equal footing in weaponry with hostile ships. They use the same weapons that you have access to. This means you need to be extra careful :)

16. ZorakZoran

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Will be. I have a question, is it possible to stop the ship completely ? When mining, I'd like to be able to stop without keeping the finger on the button, a double click on the stop button would be nice for example.

17. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    #117 shadowgamerr, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Sorry little diva, but that pic doesn't help your case. Thanks for supporting my argument!

Since it's heavily inspired by other games, why not just make a popup when you are close to the station to make sure no such accidents happen. "Warning! Docking will result in failing the mission. Are you sure you want to continue? <YES> <NO>".

PS: The icon looks sexy on my black homescreen.

18. ZorakZoran

Apr 30, 2010
    France
    Oh, another thing, no way of tracking merchandise values ? That's a big letdown if there's no other possibility than writing on a piece of paper...

19. c0mas

c0mas Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2016
    That popup might be a good idea :)

20. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I don't know. I take on multiple video producing/editing gigs at the same time and still make sure to take a day or two off every week to relax and do things that I want to. Sometimes the projects have deadlines and sometimes they are more vague. But I can definitely equate it to taking on many missions in a game like KOTOR and then going off looking for something instead of completing that mission. Since that has been utilized more and more in RPGs since then, we're used to that freedom and it adds to the overall enjoyment. Personally, I haven't gotten the time to dive into this one, but when I do, I'd rather choose what mission or side mission or personal challenge I finish and when. But I'm sure it's not necessarily something that can be expected to be changed easily. So, I'm prepared for the choice to not be there when I get to it.