Universal Stellar Wanderer (by Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Feb 18, 2016.

1. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    I'm sorry to say this Josh, but it looks horrendous. It's the ugliest interface I've ever seen. :( I can't believe it, the graphics look way too dated, the map is ugly as... I was mortified when I saw it. It reminds me of Windows 95.

I can't believe it, but it's definitely not what I expected.

I cannot recommend this game.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    How many times does it need to be said that this game was made by a completely different developer? It's unfair to group all Crescent Moon games together because they aren't the ones actually making the game. They may provide some help, but their main job is promotion, getting it published on the App Store, etc.

Agreed. And glad to see some good reviews to counter the PG one.

3. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I actually redesigned the entire interface myself - you should have seen the before and after :p

4. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Because people have jobs, budgets, and other responsibilities that factor into not wanting to waste time playing a game that isn't worth their's. Many gamers on this forum already have huge backlogs of games which that alone factors into deciding if a game is worth it. Impressions and reviews are a big deal.

But it kind of looks like this review is flubbed. So far this is the best CM game that has been out in a while.

5. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    You need a whole lotta work on it still... The fact that I have it on my device should tell you something and you know I purchased Aralon 2 and criticized it Day 1... But I do hope it evolves, otherwise, well... I might stop having Day 1 CrescentMoon Games content on my device. :(

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Do you functionality or the style of it? Anything specifically that bugs you that we could work on?

7. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    The style of the map is dated. I look at other space games, PC and mobile, and this one has the poorest looking one. It doesn't have a basic background for starters, the menus in particular work, but they don't look very nice. That bland color that makes for background is not appealing on the eye at all.

The HUD itself is not particularly bad, is satisfactory.

I have to play to the game some more, but so far, the tutorial shocked me so much that I had to put it on hold.

8. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    I get that, my larger point being is that CM is one of the few devs that still makes premium games. We got the news of Rodeo having issues with their last release because of perception and sales. As much as people bitch on this forum about free to play, I hate apprehension about game of a 4.99 cost based off a review.

9. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    My inspiration was the interface from No Man's Sky - the minimalistic stylized look that they have.
    The old one seemed very dated back to 5 years ago or so when people did more realistic look interfaces that ended up looking low res.

10. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    To be fair PG is a complete joke these days

They give f2p nonsense stellar reviews while giving superb games like Space Grunts a mediocre score. They also employ a couple of 'journalists' (bloggers actually) who have a more than shady history regarding reviews. On top of that they seem to have embraced the whole 'oh it's artsy' school of thought where 10 minutes non-games can get 10/10

I wouldn't trust them to review anything

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  11. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    The HUD is fine, i like the simplistic style

Everyone's a critic lol

12. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    You're joking right?

[​IMG]

13. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #73 LordShad0wz, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    I could care less about what happened with exiles. Crescent Moon is a publisher, not the developers. They publish games that the developers give them. Different development studios. They've published so many great games. I give every game a full chance. If a game is terrible and then not supported I will simply never purchase another game from that developer. End of story. The fact that Josh is constantly here talking to us and handling issues and doing public relations even when people are complete a$$holes to him only shows how great a publisher Crescent Moon is. I respect that so very much.

With that said I have one question. I'm really not into trading. To me trading is tedious and just boring. I prefer to fight and be a bad guy. I guess that would make me a pirate lol. Are we forced to trade constantly in this game or can we gear it more towards fighting and looting?

Billy

14. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Played a little more and am liking what I've seen.

But I've encountered some pretty serious glitches. The main one was that my virtual stick got frozen and just had me spinning around in one direction. It finally got unstuck but then was frozen in the middle and I couldn't move at all.

The only way I could continue the mission was to switch to accelmeter controls, which aren't especially great and need a sensitivity slider.

The other, not as serious, bug I hit was the game telling me I hit rank 3 but when I went to upgrade my stats, I was still level 2.

When the game was working well, it seems like a step in the right direction after Strike Wing. But have to say the controls even when working don't feel as good as they did in Strike Wing.

The 2nd ship, the one you actually get right after the tutorial, is slow to turn so that may change my perspective as I get better ones.

Those bugs though - especially the virtual stick getting frozen - need to be addressed.

I'm on an iPad Mini 2 running iOS 9.2.1 for reference.

Hoping that was a rare glitch and will see if it reoccurs after playing some more.

15. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I can see how it could remind him of it!

16. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    One of the most active, nice publishers for iOS, and the amount of rudeness is amazing. CM has been here from the very beginning and has brought us some amazing games, memories.

Nobody in this world constantly produces at 120%... Everybody has a bad day.

Instead of offering constructive criticism and explains what you think might be able to make it better, contrasted to just dogging the game and threatening to never buy a game by CM.

It's so very rare you have somebody who is this active in a forum to such negative crit.

17. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Awesome! Great reference.

18. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree and disagree, I hate reading people moan about F2P and also moaning about premium quality/cost, but I think most of these people are pc gamers. who already have a wishlist with a game at £15 and spending £5 now mean you've spend £20 (obviously) so I think unfair quality comparisons are made.

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    And consistently asking for constructive feedback when responding to the negativity. I'm quite thankful for Josh too.
    Here's hoping he'll continue to be a light to these threads.

20. Maradin

Maradin Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Its better than window Vista by miles.