Universal Stellar Horizon (by S.MARSAULT)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I thought a 2d side on version of no mans land would be good for mobile.... You could fly through space, approach and land on various planets and have space combat, also trade

2. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    #102 senkoujin, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    I'm buying your game right now!!!!

marsaults, I've constantly been watching this thread over the past weeks, and I am REALLY happy to see that you are continuously working hard to give us a great experience with Stellar Horizon! Thank you so much for constantly updating this game with new and improved additions! I will happily buy your game now at full price! Please keep up the excellent work! I really think that this game has the potential to be the first and only 'No Man's Land' in the history of mobile gaming! :)

EDIT: Hey marsaults, in the next update, can you allow screen rotation (Landscape-Left and Landscape-Right)? I'm playing on my iPad and it feels uncomfortable to play the game "upside-down", especially while wearing headphones.

3. marsaults

marsaults Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Thanks senkoujin!

Commentaries like yours are really motivating. Next update is in progress! Planet exploring may be a possibility soon.

4. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    #104 pauldavidmerritt, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Anyone wanting a (U.S. App Store) Redeem Code for this game, PM me and I'll give it to you.

**EDIT**
    It has now been taken. Enjoy it, WoyBoy15.

5. senkoujin

Aug 28, 2013
    Stellar Horizon - The Experience

It's my absolute pleasure, marsaults! I truly admire developers like you who take consideration into their customers! Also, you have created a type of game that many people here have been waiting for! Seriously, your game is starting to feel more and more like a true space exploration game with the galaxy at our fingertips. :)

Now, I have been playing Stellar Horizon, and here are my suggestions:

Suggestion #1 : Screen Orientation/Rotation
    -As I mentioned in my previous post, please allow screen rotation [Screen Orientation Landscape-Left and Landscape-Right] for the iPhone/iPad.

Suggestion #2 : Accepting and Aborting Missions
    -When accepting and aborting missions, please add a confirmation box (Y/N) because we can accidentally accept/abort missions. Also, please add confirmation sounds.

Suggestion #3 : Target Planet
    -Sometimes we want to go to a specific planet that we see (in space or on the navigation map screen), but sometimes we may get lost and lose our sense of direction, especially after a battle. Maybe you can give us the ability to create waypoints by allowing us to "tag" the planet(s) that we want to visit/revisit. Maybe it can be done on both the navigation map screen and while flying in space...maybe tap/hold to set waypoint.

Suggestion #4 : Interface and Menu Text
    -Please increase the size of menu text; I'm playing on my iPad and there is a lot of empty space in the menus due to the tiny text size. Along with the text size, please make some small changes to the button layout to make them all fit on the screen properly and neatly.

Suggestion #5 : GUIDE Information
    -Please explain some terms in the game like CASH and "U" (currency?). Are they the same thing? Maybe you would want to change CASH into "U" or "CURRENCY (U)" or whatever "U" stands for. This way, we won't be confused. Also, please explain "FINE" and the PAY button in your guide. Laser CADENCY? Laser-cutting power, right?

Suggestion #6 : Enter Planets without Space Station authorization
    -Sometimes, we just want to explore the planets directly, so perhaps you could allow us to explore planets directly without first visiting the space station. Maybe you can also make it to where some planets may not have a space station; in that case, we could try to salvage a random amount of fuel from the planet and make some minor repairs instead. Planets with space stations will continue to fully replenish your shields and fuel as usual. I personally think that this would add to the realism, but it's just a suggestion.

Suggestion #7 : Navigation Map Improvements
    -The navigation map looks pretty cool, but it is not easy to understand exactly what's going on. Please make the map more clear and concise so that it would be easier to understand and use. Giving us the ability to ZOOM IN/OUT and view 360 degrees would help greatly! We want to see where Point A and Point B is located on the map. The little red dot is our ship position, but you can make it clearer by labeling it "YOU", "PLAYER", or something that indicates "I AM HERE". We want to see more details and area/sector coverage on the map. Also, please explain Navigation Map line colors.

Suggestion #8 : Battles
    -Although the lasers are nice weapons, please consider adding missiles. Next, while in battle (on iPad), I always accidentally hit the SYST. button, which takes me to the menu and disrupts the battle pace; please consider moving that button to the upper left hand corner of the screen next to the (V) view button or somewhere where it won't be easily accidentally touched during battles.

Suggestion #9 : The "SKIP" button placement and Saving
    -May I suggest that while entering and landing on planets, you could move the SKIP button to one of the corners of the screen instead of it being in the center? It's just my personal opinion, but during these sequences, I prefer to have a "clean view". Now, about saving, please allow us to save in space stations as well as after leaving planets.

Suggestion #10 : SPACE FAN-SERVICE
    -We are all excited about your announcement of possible planet exploration! Thank you so much for that! We understand that these additions take time (and we will wait!), but we want you to take the true space experience even further! We want to be able to see from the cockpit view (front view) the dramatic entry phase into the planets that we visit. We want to have an arial view of the surface as we are entering and preparing for landing; if the planet has an atmosphere, then we want to see all of the atmospheric activity as we descend onto the surface. Take-off from the planet should also be as dramatic and realistic. These additions alone would make Stellar Horizon the first game to attempt this in mobile history.

Those are my suggestions from my experience playing Stellar Horizon thus far.
    My previous suggestions from my previous posts still stand, heheh!

EXTRA:
    There are a few minor spelling errors like 'RESSOURCES' (should be "RESOURCES"), but those could be easily fixed.

BUG REPORT:
    It just happened to me once. After I arrived at a space station, I immediately pressed the LAUNCH button to leave, but the button froze and stopped functioning (my Super Drive was also still on inside the station! I turned it off shortly after), so I couldn't leave the station to go to the nearby planet to save my progress...I was stuck and had to close the app. I'll try it again to see if I can reproduce this bug...maybe I just was unlucky and suffered a glitch that time.

In any case, thank you very much for creating this game, and I, as well as MANY others are looking forward to future updates! So far, this game is going in the right direction! I wish you the best of luck, and you have my support, marsaults! ;)

6. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Hi Senkoujin,

thanks for your suggestions. I'll do my best for the next update!

7. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    Senkoujin's got some great insight on the game. And I agree--If you keep working on it, we've got some very exciting things to look forward to in Stellar Horizon.

8. pauldavidmerritt

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    East Rutherford NJ
    When able to, give us an update on what we might expect for a future update. Thanks Marsaults.

9. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    #109 marsaults, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    No problem Paul. Thanks for your interest. Update is in development, but i'm not sure of what its content will be. Probably planet exploration. For the moment it is a kind of "street view" moves (i.e : go ahead, turn left, turn right...), and it runs ok. But i need ideas to give a motivation to explore surfaces of planets (why? to find what? ...) I'm open to suggestions!

10. senkoujin

Aug 28, 2013
    #110 senkoujin, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Planetary Exploration + Suggestions

Hi again marsaults, it's great to hear that you're making progress with the update! :)

As for planetary exploration suggestions:

-You can add various random rock and lake (if planet has water/liquid) formations on the planet surface so that we could have some kind of landscape to explore.

-Allow us to scan more areas on the planet for resources, not just one single scan.
    *Also, you could create rare~extremely rare resources that can only be found on planets.

-We would like to encounter alien life of some sort. Maybe some planets may contain alien life that are either:

-FRIENDLY (They might give you something [Repairs, Resource(s), Fuel, etc.])
    -NEUTRAL (They will probably do nothing but exist on the planet)
    -HOSTILE (They will threaten you and want you to leave the planet, and it could be possible that they will engage in a battle with you when you leave the planet AND/OR damage your ship immediately after contact)

MORE ABOUT ALIENS:
    ***To make the game even more realistic, you could make several species of aliens ranging from plant life to extraterrestrial beings with full bodies. [Of course, you can use whatever graphics you want to depict them].

***Each alien species could have their own language, but you will not be able to understand what they say unless you have the proper translator installed on your ship's computer. Your ship can pick up the audio/frequency/communication waves coming from the aliens, and will display their message on the screen.....if you don't have the proper translator installed, then the message will look like alien/encoded text; if you have the proper translator, the message will display in English (readable). [Translators could possibly be purchased in some space stations].

MORE ABOUT FRIENDLY ALIENS:
    -If you decide to add the suggestion above, you can allow friendly aliens to tell you useful information!
    Example: The friendly aliens might tell you the location of an area on the planet to scan for resources by giving you the coordinates (directions). Since you're using a "street view" type of setup, the aliens could tell you to "Go straight, turn left, turn left again, turn right, go straight, etc., then SCAN", which would lead you to a rare resource, which would normally be nearly impossible to find anywhere else on the planet.

NOTE: Some planets may or may not have alien life, also, aliens must first be found by exploring the planet. Maybe you can create an upgrade for your ship's computer to scan planets for alien life before you attempt to land. [Could be a purchasable item in some space stations].

NOTE2: If you decide to do these things, please give us 'YES/NO' prompts for interacting with the aliens. Sometimes we want to communicate with them, and sometimes we may just want to pass them by and continue exploring the planet on our own. Also, we don't know if the aliens are FRIENDLY, NEUTRAL, or HOSTILE....it would make things very very interesting!! :)

EXTRA SUGGESTION:
    -Create gas planets; apparently these planets are likely uninhabited by alien life (but you could add them if you wish, haha). These planets' atmospheres are usually dangerous. Maybe you can create GAS RESOURCES that could be extracted from the gas planets. [You can create an item that can be purchased in the space station that allows you to scan and extract gas on gaseous planets].

***Gas planets could have "GAS ZONES" which contains a specific type of rare gas that could be extracted, but the player must explore (fly around in) the gas planet to find them. While on these gas planets, your ship will slowly receive damage...if you stay too long, your ship may be destroyed. Gas should take more time than other resources to extract; extremely rare gas should take even longer. To make it even more realistic, if your ship is at 1 HP (1 life/1 hull integrity/1 shields), and you try to leave, it is possible that your ship won't escape the atmosphere because it takes time to reach space after liftoff.....your ship's HP would be ZERO before you escape the planet's atmosphere, so you'd be dead unless you somehow escaped the atmosphere BEFORE your ship's HP dropped to ZERO (lucky timing)! Now you should know that gas could be extremely valuable in the markets because it's dangerous and risky to obtain. ;)

I wish you the best! I know it's a lot of suggestions, but I want this game to become one of the best space games to ever hit mobile and tablets!!! Aside from the graphics, I think, maybe if enough effort and polishing is put into this game, it just may rival No Man's Sky in some aspects. I don't even think No Man's Sky has the gas planet ideas that I just suggested to you; you'd probably be the first developer to implement this feature if you decide to. I've never seen any developer allow entry into gas planets...it's a fantasy that space fans would probably love to experience! :)

My goodness, this game has so much potential! I, as well as many others here can see it too!!

We will wait for you, marsaults! ;)

11. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    marsaults, man, you must hire this guy over here.

12. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Stellar Horizon update has been submitted. Hopefully, it will be available in 4-5 days!

13. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Excellent. What's in the update?

14. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Planet exploration and other improvements.

15. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    You da man...or women..., you da person. Thanks.

16. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Stellar Horizon update is available.

17. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Can you post video of the planet exploration gameplay? This is what has me on the fence

18. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Yeah vid of it plz

19. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Exploration is grid-based movement, so no dramatic 3D animation.

20. Tommet

Tommet Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Lemme just point something out.

It's a two dollar game for a multi-hundred dollar device.