Universal Stellar Horizon (by S.MARSAULT)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 19, 2016.

1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Here's the photo of the text anomaly.

Attached Files:

2. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    That was the question for me too! But after reading and watching gameplay, this looked like it was more my type of game.

Now onto my gameplay impressions. I've never played an Elite game, but others say this is quite similar. You start off in space, piloting a ship. Your main view is a cockpit type view, with the ability to look at each side and behind as well. You can travel to new star systems and planets or space stations at your own pace. When you land in a space station, you auto refuel and can take on travel missions or buy/sell goods. From there, you can do whatever you want. If you wanted to just travel around and find new planets, you could do that! There is some combat involved, but it is not extensive.

I recommend reading the guide, found in the menu, once you begin. It will let you know what the buttons do, and what there is to do in the game. This is very much a low-fi space exploration/trading game. So, there isn't really a story line or flashy graphics. It looks more like real space, but the ships are very simple looking. There are a lot of ships you can upgrade to, but they cost differing amounts and you'll need to complete missions and sell goods to make enough for them.

This is the type of space sim I've wanted on iOS. It's not like Stellar Wanderer because you have freedom to do what you want like visit another system to refuel on your way to your mission objective, and this doesn't have voice acting telling you what to do, nor does it portray space as a rainbow covered nebula. I only wish we could listen to music while playing and save anywhere instead of only after leaving a planet.

It may not be flashy like most space sim games, but this is sort of what I've been looking for. Hope that helps others know if it is what they're looking for too.

3. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I have taken this title for a test flight, but was a little disappointed, to be honest. It seems like the dev has taken ideas from a lot of space sims out there and come up with a minimalistic iOS space sandbox game. It achieves what it sets out to do, but it's not very "approachable". There is a Guide there in the interface, and a lot of info and detail in the commodity market and other parts of the game, but it tends to be a wall of text that is hard to ingest. Some people will like this, but will need to persevere and bring a lot to it from their own imagination to get enjoyment from the game. Guess I've become too much of a casual gamer...

4. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    Marsaults is certainly going to get my money and my support. This is the type of space trading/exploration sim I enjoy. Marsaults -- tell us about future improvements and changes we can expect. I'm certainly looking forward to see some updates!

One question: Any chance this will ever be iOS 7 compatible? I recently searched for and found an iPhone 5s running 7 so that all my classic game favorites are all working. I'd like to put Stellar Horizon on my gaming device, not my iPhone phone :)

5. marsaults

marsaults Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Thanks PaulDavid. I don't see any inconvenient for an iOS 7 compatibility. I'll try that in the next update.

6. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    #46 senkoujin, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Interesting!

Hello developer marsaults, I saw the YouTube video of your game, and to tell you the truth, I like the direction it's going in! This is probably the closest thing to No Man's Sky (working PS4 title) that I've seen done on mobile by ANYONE; you're the first!!

I love the ability to truly be able to explore the galaxy freely and also being able to actually visit planets; from the video I saw, this game is one of these types of games! There are quite a few interface, spelling, and overall design improvements that could be made; also, as someone said earlier, entering a planet while the HUD is facing the planet would be a more invigorating experience, but I'm sure the work required to pull this off would be much.

The battles seem very...strange, and I'm not sure if there are any yields for blasting away ships, and I don't even know if the player's ship can be destroyed. Another thing, I would really like for you to make the game even more realistic....get some pressure gauges and add in some other statistical stats for the player's ship(s)....eg. Hull integrity, Weapons capacity, Overheating, Oxygen supply, Warp engine limits/enhancements, Travel speed based on engine (MPH/KPH), Engine blowouts, Damage/Repairs, Food/Water (unless player is immortal?) usage for player, some kind of default space music (I heard the classical music on the YouTube video, but I don't know if that's officially in the game), etc.

For even later updates, I'd also personally like to see the warp drive effects and sounds looking and sounding more vibrant and live as well as the ability to actually do more things on planets like moving around to different locations, gathering rare/special resources, being able to grow or produce fuel in case my ship is too low....or maybe you can even make some unexpected anomalies occur while on certain random planets.......maybe you must wait for a storm to pass in order to leave safely (with the risky 50/50 option of trying to escape DURING the storm), and just for the hell of it, if a storm is too strong, the player's hull integrity (shields first) will begin to drop; stay too long, and the ship gets destroyed. Don't forget that we may want to encounter alien life on those planets, hehe.

Yes, I'm a space fanatic, and I see ALOT of potential in this game!! I implore you not to waste it, dev....your game is our best shot at experiencing true space exploration! I know improvements/implementations like these may take ALOT of time, but I assure you it'll be worth it! I'm guessing the file size could quadruple if not more after such additions, but that's not a bad thing; I'd gladly and immediately pay quadruple your current asking price if you can manage to give us the depth that we space fanatics YEARN DEEPLY for!! dev, I'm on my knees begging...!

7. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Many good ideas here. Thanks for your advice Senkoujin.

8. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    My absolute pleasure, marsaults. ;)

9. JourneymanWelder

Jan 30, 2016
    sounds fishy if you ask me. ill wait for a video.

10. Nekko

Nekko Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Tokyo-3
    No offense, but did you not look at the thread before posting? There's like 2 videos posted plus the multiple impressions people have posted as well.

11. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I can vouch for the game, a bit rough around the edges but nothing fishy here! :)

I'm liking it and can't wait to see where the development will be going

12. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Looks like minus the ability to explore planets this is right up my alley. I love space exploration games but sometimes they are too combat heavy or strategic and confusing. Definitely going to give this a try.

13. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'm really liking it. Got $3 of entertainment in my first play session (1.5hrs) lots of fun for me. I really hope the developer continues to refine. This could be a real gem. Edges are rough but love the concept and ambition. Enjoying. Rate later

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Rather deceptive screenshots IMO.

15. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Interesting space trader, and definitely not a hoax app or anything like that. Small size definitely because of the algorithm that creates new world and the lack of bling bling graphics.

I found the menus a bit difficult to navigate as I am not the most patient gamer if it feels too much like a work screen for me.

If you want a take on Elite with a touch of Eve and old school visuals this seems like a solid pick. :)

And yes planets are pretty much static pics that gets zoomed in, while trading etc is a bunch of menus. Again less bling bling, but the space trading aspect seems solid enough with several pages of items to trade.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    If the developer adds back Newtonian physics (as an option) I am buying. BTW, is there any combat involved?

17. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    You have to "fight" ships if you run out of fuel during jumps, but they offer no resistance. The trading and exploration aspects are great for me but I wouldn't mind a little real combat challenge.

18. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I wish I could jump out of the encounters altogether. I bought this one because it wasn't based around combat like almost every other space sim out there. And I'd love to avoid having to shoot anything except maybe asteroids. But I haven't seen any of those.

19. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    I feel ya. They don't add anything to the game. Perhaps having to navigate/ shoot your way through asteroid belt would be more fun when you get low on fuel. Haven't seen any either

20. marsaults

May 4, 2011
    Hi ashmike3,

First of all, sorry for my english (i'm french).
    Fights are easy at the start of the game, as player begins in a low difficulty system (level 5), without dangerous outlaws or rebels.
    As the game progresses, the player may want (but it is not mandatory) to visit wealthier systems to make better trades. In such systems, opponents are numerous and dangerous, and upgrades of weapon/ship may be necessary. You will find real combat challenge there!