Universal Stellar Horizon (by S.MARSAULT)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Wish they could just remake it for iOS... Or make something very similar. Can have standard control instead of Newtonian physics, and maybe less complex controls and few thousand less planets... But it would still be great

2. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    If the developer stops by to read this, is there any chance you could post a short gameplay video?

3. thestapler

thestapler New Member

May 20, 2015
    I'm really curious about this lo-fi No Man's Sky. Almost enough to just buy it because its 3 bucks. I feel like curious purchases from unknown stuff leads me astray though. The similarity in name to Stellar Wanderer makes me worry its a scam. Has anyone played it? I hope the dev responds to some of these queries.

4. pauldavidmerritt

pauldavidmerritt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Ultrasound reporting systems
    East Rutherford NJ
    Have to wait for a gameplay vid before I buy this.

5. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    The fact that someone said the planet scene is just a static picture ,pretty much puts to rest that this is not going to have a planet surface
    to explore like in No Man' Sky. Too bad ,as I was hoping to see someone develope a game where you can travel in space and fly to the planet
    and land and explore.

Oh well!

6. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    To be fair, though, I haven't seen any footage of even Stellar Wanderer being able to explore once landed. It's just a static screen in that game too. I really want No Man's Sky on mobile too, but I know it's got to be hard getting that into such a small package for a small device.

7. adamlax

adamlax Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Male
    I'm getting a refund. Don't buy. It's crashes on iPad 4 every time you try to open it.

8. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    I posted early impressions in this very thread;)

9. marsaults

marsaults Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Hi Guys. I'm the developer of Stellar Horizon. If some of you want to test Stellar Horizon and give their impressions to others, some promo codes may be available.
    Feel free to mail (marsaults(at)yahoo.fr) or PM me if you have any questions. Hope this will help!

10. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Short gameplay video

https://vid.me/e/svzs

Excuse the poor quality but you know, you get what you pay for;)

11. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Thank you so much for the vid! The mechanics look a little rough around the edges, and it is definitely not a huge story-driven campaign. But it looks quite relaxing and peaceful to play. I'm sick of seeing all of these space combat mission games. I just want to fly around and discover stuff, and enjoy the view the whole while. And to be frank, this game looks way more realistic than all of the other space exploration/flight games. It doesn't have a ton of colorful nebulae all over the place, which is refreshing and realistic looking. Most of space is dark and empty. So, thanks to your vid and the simple look of this one, I'm probably going to pick it up. I'd rather support than ask for a code! Thanks again for taking the time to upload that.

12. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    My pleasure:)

13. marsaults

marsaults Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
  14. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Sorry but I still don't have any idea what kind of game is this?

15. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    I've played it for a bit and although there's a lot to change and/or fix it can really be a good Elite for IOS game.

You can accept missions (which at the moment mainly consist out of fly to X and Y), attack enemies, upgrade your ship etc

16. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    This, stellar wanderer or rogue star?

17. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Shouldn't be that hard to do, elite frontiers was huge, planets to land on, stations to dock with, thousands of planets, Newtonian physics, lots of space craft.... And it was only 1.4mb.
    So surely they could just copy it but remove the Newtonian physics and put in easier controls

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

you made me try if Elite 2 works on iDOS... and there it is

Attached Files:

19. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    No. From the description, I'd say it uses an algorithm to generate the data, and since all players use that same algorithm with the same 32 bit seed, everyone would generate the same "universe". Procedurally generated games often have a small footprint too - take a look at classic roguelikes. Whether this game is good or not depends on the gameplay - anyone able to share impressions on that?

20. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Hi marsaults! Firstly, thanks for making this game. From what I've read of old Elite games, this is quite similar. Personally, I have found many space games like Elite to be fun and more appealing than just space shooters. So, this is exactly what I've been looking for on iOS in a space game.

I have a few questions/suggestions. I'd love to listen to my own music while playing the app, since it doesn't have any. Would that be possible in an update? Also, I notice we save after leaving a planet. I'd love to be able to save at any moment, much like an emulator's Save State. Is there any chance of that? Speaking of planets, when we begin to land, it seems our ship turns and starts descending bottom-first. I'd love it if the ship descended front first so we could actually see when we enter the atmosphere, but I do realize that it makes it easier to cut to the planet screen. I just wonder why we land bottom first. Is it like that in the old Elite games? And finally, I noticed in the navigation menu that some of the text next to systems was either overlapping each other or there were literally two pieces of text occupying the same area for one system. I moved the camera around, but it wasn't one text behind the other, it was like a system had too much text on top of each other. I'll post a screen shot below.