iPad STEINS;GATE EN (by 5pb.Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 8, 2016.

1. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Does this have the option to play in vertical as well? I've just started it but it is only in landscape. Thought I saw a tip about portrait orientation but with the "Phone" thing, I didn't get how to actually switch to portrait if it's possible.

2. Robbie1350

Robbie1350 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Yes it does

3. tekchic

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Stupid question, but how do you enable it?

4. Robbie1350

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    At certain times during the game you would be able to check out your phone and it's already enabled for you

5. tekchic

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks. Weird. Maybe I'm just too early into the game (I've only played about 30 minutes so far). I'll keep plugging away at it and see if things change :)

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    You can't actually play the game in vertical unless it's a hidden feature I don't know about.

The only thing is when you see the phone icon in the top right corner you can turn your device vertically and the phone in the game will automatically open (you use the phone in game to text people or read messages). The main storyline itself is in horizontal. However my phone is always in locked orientation so I don't use this feature, even though it's pretty cool.

7. tekchic

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Aaah got it, thanks. Yeah, mine's always in locked orientation as well (drives me nuts when it unintentionally rotates or doesn't, hehe).

Only 45 minutes in but I'm enjoying it so far -- this one's been on my list for ages and I'm looking forward to having this one on my phone vs Vita (which I don't carry with me often).

8. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Has anyone been brave enough to double dip and compare the phone and iPad versions? I'm still on the fence as to which version to get.

9. Robbie1350

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I have

10. Duranki

Duranki Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2011
    And what is your verdict? Would you recommend the game on a 6S Plus or an iPad?

11. Robbie1350

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    I would say iPhone

12. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    On the one hand while I've never played the actual game I thought the anime was mediocre at best, so I wouldn't touch this with a ten-foot pole.

On the other hand, I'm genuinely pleased to see another premium visual novel make it onto iOS, even if it's not something I personally wanted. And full price, too, not some weird pay-as-you-go model. I honestly hope it sells enough other developers take notice.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm going to have to disagree. I've been playing the visual novel and the story is deep and intriguing. The characters are fun and have their own personalities. Voice acting is top notch as expected from the veteran cast.

Whether you liked the anime or not I would give this game a shot. I've actually laughed out loud many times and that's rare for me on anything. Usually if I find something amusing I may chuckle in my head but this game actually has quirky / funny moments that make me laugh and face palm. The story gets better and better as you progress.

If you like well written stories / mysteries / science / anime this is highly recommended.

14. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Agree with you on disagreeing with the above
    It's the anime series that got me into the games actually
    I love the science aspect of it and ever since I was little time travel has fascinated me to no end and I even love reading books on theories of it even though in principle it's a crazy idea
    This game and the series are top notch

15. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Stop making me want to cheat my backlog of games... :mad:

16. BTNLegend

BTNLegend Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Canada
    Wow...I thought they'd never release Steins;Gate in English. I bought the Japanese version years ago and used a fan English patch on it to play it, but hated the fact that I had to be jailbroken to do so. The Steins;Gate anime is one of my favourite series. I thought it was fantastic with a great cast of memorable characters, great story with stuff based on real scientific theories, and great overall feel with lots of twists. I don't know if I want to buy the same game again...even if this time around I'll be able to play it in its official English translation. The price is a bit up there for me considering I paid the same price years ago. I totally recommend it to anyone that likes visual novels though. This is one of the best. Tuturu!

17. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I appreciate the positivity, honest, but I find the majority of visual novels very poorly written, so I think I'll pass. And it isn't that I don't like them - for example Cross Channel or Yu-No tell far better time travel stories than Steins;Gate, IMO. Or better stories in general - better than the anime, at least. (I haven't even finished Yu-No and I'd still say that.) Probably not an argument I should get into here, though.

18. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Iphone 6 or Ipad air? Can't make up my mind yet.

19. tekchic

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went for it on my iPhone 6+ because it's the device I have with me nearly 100% of the time. :) Especially since this is a really long visual novel.

20. Robbie1350

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Dude shut up he's not making you cheat your backlog of games