Universal Steelbound Sky - SHMUP x Wind Control Mechanics | OUT NOW!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by witherwood, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Was about to hit the buy button, but i got a bit shocked seeing no Gamecenter in a highscore game...and with an endless mode.
    Since i have no GC problems but love a global challenge (doesn't matter if 100 or 100k players), sorry, only wish-listed for the moment.

2. pixeldunce

pixeldunce Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Is this game level based or is it high score based? Also are there any huge bosses? Game looks awesome

3. witherwood

witherwood Well-Known Member

Feb 29, 2016
    I am looking into GC with World Leader Boards for a future update. The game will always follow the model "Pay Once and Play" . However I'm glad that the game did interest you :)

4. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    The game has levels which will record your score. It also has 2 additional unlock-able modes which have high scores.

There may be a somewhat large boss at the end ...however the emphasis in this game are the several unique bosses which you will need to solve (mainly using your wind power) on how to beat.

I dont think anyone has beaten the game yet. I would be very impressed. Thankyou for liking the game.

5. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    #25 Qwertz555, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    While i'm writing this, your game is downloading...

It's a too intriguing shmup with this swipe mechanic in one of my prefered genres, and it's a premium game.
    I just wrote in the Lost Socks thread about my faint (not really, lol) it to be featured as the only paid out of 15 games. The already present f2p future hits hard, and it looks like i can throw my two-premium-games-a-week rule overboard, sigh.

I vote with my wallet.

Since i'm a legit owner now and being a burnt child concerning these phrases, maybe add something like "if the game sells well..." along the line. Keep it vague, don't make a promise.
    Most of the time it won't happen, imho.
    Only my two cents.

Edit: the important gameplay with the swipe mechanic seems to hold up nicely, at least in the first stage. Gets quite hectic and i would say, play it on ipad mini and up, if you have the choice. Some shots/enemies are small on my 5s.

No music/sfx controls, shocking unfortunately. While most Devs seem not to be able to think about or code volume sliders for both, please have an option to mute the (actually good) music, at least. Too loud for me. I love and grow with the atmospherical sfx sounds in a game. Please.

6. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    The game gets (beautifully) hard as nails, and probably not only in the beginning where everything is so strange and new. The learning curve seems a bit steep somehow, but with every next swipe you might feel more and more convinced and comfortable.
    I do.

If it doesn't grab you due to the unusual swipe mechanic and the pure hectic, i could understand why you don't stick with it, really.
    I'm also hoping (having a moody day) i don't hurt the Dev by saying:
    Somebody should have given this talented Dev more money and time to polish up this brilliant unique shmup in almost all departments.
    Or i simply could say: what a charming indie game with great unique gameplay.

Well, i've just unlocked the next branching path with the stages 4+5, and i have tons of fun it.

PS: As a beta tester, i would have tried to convince you to spare a bit more room on top of those enemies to widen/easier the chance of a backstab kill. It's difficult enough, just saying.

7. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    Aha... Nice vote :)

I want to be a committed game dev and I have care about people's opinions. So I do take people's input seriously and want to improve my game if possible. But you are correct.. I should not make promises as there are no concrete plans.

Yes the game was built for the iPad. Though I've found some people prefer the smaller iPhones/iPods because it is less work/distance to travel when swiping. Perhaps the mini as you said is the perfect middle ground.

I was considering adding something like that... not sure if the current structure of how the game plays music would allow this to be done easily. But at least I know it can be an issue.

8. David1886

David1886 Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    I see that you are looking into Game Center Leader Boards for a future, but do you have any plans about Game Center achievements?

9. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    #29 Gamer1st, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Is this how they fight off waves of enemies in the Lost Winds games?
    Hat's off for a very unique take on shootem ups.
    Nowhere near the time I'm sure.

10. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    think I will get this, lots of buzz around it.

11. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    How much space does this use when installed?
    I play on an iPad and use a stylus so this looks to be right up my alley.
    You're bound to be coded-out by now but I figured it was worth a shot.
    The Eastern Standard time thing on a site that uses something else is tricky.

12. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    Well I'm glad you understand the beauty of a challenging game. I was really aiming to get that feeling
    a hard shmup.

Most of this work has been my own work. What you see in terms of putting the game together especially is my work for the past year. I also wish I had more time or money at all for that reason. (this has been worked on my own time with no income) I was going for a unique type of game, so it means alot that you see that.

I'll consider changing it in the next update.

13. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    I am literally working on Game Center achievements as we speak. I cannot promise it will go in because it may not work but know that I am looking into it and I want it to to be in. It will only be basic achievements, maybe a dozen max but I am excited with getting it to work.

14. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    I think Lost Winds is more of a puzzle game, though I have not played Lost Winds but I can see the similarities.
    I do think the Shmup is quite unique! I am currently working to make it better!

15. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Wanted to stop by and say I haven't had a lot of time to put into this game but what I have played I've enjoyed.

The wind swipe mechanic really does make this one of the most unique shmups on iOS. The difficulty ramps up a little too quickly and I do wish you could have more than one swipe at a time.

As others have noted, it could use some more polish, but overall, it's an interesting take on he genre.

16. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    How to kill that boss on the 4th/pharao stage, please?
    I could defy him forever (but goes hard on my eyes on my little 5s after 30 min), and once in a while, after i hit him with enough of his own bullets (right?), there's a glowing circle around him but no bullets around and enough time to shot him. A tornado doesn't work and the cannon neither, since he was always off the middle. Or do i have "to circle" him a certain amount?
    Most games have a boss life-counter to know where you're standing. Do i miss an indicator on him/screen?

I'm a bit torn on how to rate this game. Concerning the really good working controls, this very unique take on a shmup and coming from a solo Dev working free/night-time, i clearly think of 5/5 stars.
    If you read my posts about GC/music/polish*, a 4/5 would actually be honest. But i decided to give that last star in advance as a little starting help in my swiss app store** and maybe for the one or the other update.

* You're screenshot (ipad?) shows a much better looking tornado than the simple white spot on my 5s.

** Stated in my review as well

17. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    I have sent you a PM with regards to that boss.

I am happy with 4/5. That is a good rating for me. Though you thinking of a 5/5 is very humbling.

Yes, the iPad version will probably tend to look better than the iPhone versions because of the resolution cap. Because of this the game is able to keep a better framerate across all devices.

18. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    It should take about 140 MB.

A stylus for an iPad should work perfect for this game. I'm actually interested to see how that works, so I am tempted to get a stylus and try it.

I have sadly given all the codes away. But The contest was pretty successful so I am looking into adding more promo codes for the contest.

19. witherwood

Feb 29, 2016
    Im glad you think it's unique! And TBH... if you think that the game is too hard...well in a way that was intentional. You see a lot of traditional shmups are very hard and take time and practice to perfect. I hope people see the value in that. The game originally didn't even have that 1st level or a tutorial. It was added as feedback from my beta testers. Though I can understand peoples frustrations. Perhaps I could add a second section to the 1st level to have a better increase in difficulty.

20. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Thanks for your *cough* not really helpful PM, very much appreciated though.

Obviously (well, now that i know) i already pointet out the big problem i have to beat him - No projectile(s) around and not enough time to shot him.

(Always easier for gamers to talk about stages/levels if they have names/numbers)

Just a minute ago i had the boss circled/dizzy and he seemed to be attached to my lightning by constantly pushing him (no damage). There was even one bullet left on screen this time, but as soon as i let him go to catch that bullet first, then to blow it in his direction, he already recovered and killed me (was low on health).
    No time, too quick, too difficult.
    To encounter this boss fight alone takes a little while with some intense concentration needed...sigh.

My last ace up my sleeve, if i can manage to save...
    Can i kill him with my activated combo powerup?

If not, than this could be my game over, unless you tweak the boss' difficulty/dizzy time.
    It's a great challenging fun to swipe the hell out of me to reach the boss, but all this can get very tedious, knowing i hardly ever will beat him. Remember, you control everything by swipes. The nature of swipes in this game leads to imprecision. Therefor, death by design fits a bit more rather than it was my fault, imho of course.

Other opinions, help and tips, please?