Universal SteamWorld Quest (by Image & Form International AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Dec 10, 2020.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Wait, so this one’s a true story? OMG. Now I have to play it! ;)

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  2. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    #22 aconfusedkender, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020

Yes sir this is a 30+ hours story driven card based amazesauce with New Game Plus and terrific character design and usage

Edit: I just looked, sorry my beat time was 24:27. By no means was I speedrunning the game. I played to enjoy it and tried to get all the hidden stuff. My characters were between 40-44 on first play through. I’m sure it can be beaten and enjoy with probably 20 hours. Either way if you base your money VS playtime like I do, you’re getting in essence about $1 for every 90 minutes of play which is amazing imo shhh were all weird somehow

To compare Hero Emblems (hands down FOR ME best game I’ve ever played on mobile) took me a little over 35 hours to beat at a $5 price tag. Talk about value!?! Also I’m still sad there’s no HE2. I check on the devs every few months to no avail. I emailed them a couple years ago and they actually responded but silence since then.

Attached Files:

3. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, I know it’s got a story mode. I was just joking about it being “true”.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #24 L.Lawliet, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    What's the joke exactly?

If you need further explanation, this game has a story driven campaign and is an RPG using card battle mechanics. STS has some overarching story and lore but it's incredibly minimal - that game is focused mostly on the gameplay variety. Night of the Full Moon has a pretty major story but you only get chunks of it when you beat all the different bosses and then when new updates are added, they add more to the story and new lore. However, I wouldn't consider it a story driven campaign because there's only minimal story dialogue during the actual course of the game.

The use of the word true is because technically tons of games can have a story but it doesn't really mean that the story is a significant or major part of the game. Often it's used as some background to why the game exists.

Does that make sense to you now or do you still have trouble understanding it?

5. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh boy, that joke flew over everyone's heads and I kinda don't blame y'all. He was just referring to that whole "Based on a True Story" thing.

6. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Sorry. Bad joke.

7. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    i got it after you said that and I reread it WITH the emoji. Good joke but was too excited to see it lol

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Playing on iPad Pro.
    Not sure if this is what you are referring to but to return cards back to your deck after viewing their description I twin tap.
    And I don’t drag cards to enemies/characters to carry out the actions, I just tap on them. :)

9. zenmode

zenmode Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    T R U E.

I loved StS and got a lot of playtime out of it, but the port itself was very disappointing.

Anyway, this was an instabuy, the Steamworld games are awesome. Anyone know if this has cloud saves?

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It doesn't unfortunately. :(

11. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I loved Steamworld Heist and always wished I could get more of it, so loving RPG games this game is a no brainier. Although I do have a lot of games to play and they only ever really did 1 update for Heist which does concern me when devs don’t seem to keep supporting the game but maybe it’s perfect and doesn’t need any changes or fixes?

12. metalwastebasket

metalwastebasket Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Well, a fundamental thing about Heist on iOS is not only did it not get any further updates, it also never got the DLC other versions got. That was a point of contention for me when deciding to pick this up, but since Quest doesn't have DLC, I was willing to give Image & Form benefit of the doubt. Will iCloud support ever come to this? I don't know. Does it support controllers? I too don't know (but I couldn't possibly imagine why anyone would want to play this with a controller), but yeah, time will tell.

13. 2hrs and 38mins into the game and here’s my impression:
    - It’s not roguelike.
    - It’s an rpg with a heavier focus on tactical turn-based battles
    - A solid port. Nth to complain about so far. So you dont have to worry about it being broken unplayable
    - No iCloud save and controller support (correct me if im wrong). It would be great if we could backup game progress. However, controller support is totally unnecessary

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    BTW controller support is good for those that like to stream a game to their Tv to play it on the big screen. It makes the iPhone function a bit like a switch.

15. Agreed! The controller support would be a plus side just like you said. But im saying the game is still good to go without it as the game doesn’t require precision like platforming and the tap control is really responsive and solid

16. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    If there's a dev reading the thread, please add cloud save!

metalcasket likes this.
  17. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    What about performance? I have an iPad Pro (2016) and I don't know if this game will run smoothly. For example "Star Realms" which is a card based game is choppy. iPad does not have the latest CPU and some games don't run well but on the other hand some other games like "Shards of Infinity" is great.

18. It works great on my ipad pro 2017. I think yours should be okay too. But I cant say for sure, tho

nkarafo likes this.
  19. Someon

Someon Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    How did it turned out for you? Is it worth buying? I was a fan of Heist but I’m not sure I’m a fan of a card games. Still undecided if it’s worth of buying.

20. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I’ve played about 6 hours of the game and I can safely say that it’s absolutely brilliant. Especially on mobile.

It’s basically a CCG, turned-based RPG with a moderately interesting story, charming characters and quite funny writing. The game perfectly suits mobile as it basically saves your game after every transition of zone-to-zone, the deck building never overwhelms you with a plethora of cards and the RPG elements are quite light.

The only downside I can see is that it might be a bit slowed-paced for some. Especially people who are not used to turn-based games.

Finally, coming to performance. It runs like a dream on my iPhone X (FW 14.3). Barely any battery drain and no heating whatsoever. And trust me, if you let it, you will lose hours into this game. Just goes to show that games can still be optimised to run well, if the team behind it decides to do so.

Overall, mobile GotY 2020 for me. A must-buy. You’ll never feel that this game wasn’t originally made for mobile.

Gwarmaxx and metalcasket like this.