Universal SteamWorld Heist (By Image & Form)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Er, I quite like steampunk, as a concept, though it is very rarely executed well. The Chaos Engine, a Nineties shooter, managed it pretty competently, but I can't think of many other good examples. Philip Pullman and China MiƩville in literature, Full Metal Alchemist in manga/anime. Bruce Sterling and William Gibson - not really.

Beside the point. This game looks awesome. Instabuy for me!

2. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    This or Demon rise ?? Someone help me =] I tend to like difficult games, that may appear simple on the surface but have deep mechanics. Thanks =]

3. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    This.

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Demons Rise.
    #

5. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Both. Although I have a feeling DR might be "deeper". Not played much of either though.

6. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks!

7. afyzendo

afyzendo Member

Mar 18, 2009
    No, there is not. I've played the game on PC, iPad and iPhone and each platform has their own three save slots. I would recommend the iPad as well. Playing on an iPhone 6 is possible but if you have the choice, the game looks better on a bigger screen.

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Really enjoying this so far. The missions are short, tight experiences. Playing on experienced, and it isn't hard, but you will get punished for making mistakes, which I think is just great.

9. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    If it helps, Demons Rise 2 is on launch sale. And yeah I want both.

10. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Honestly, I have replayed levels over and over on the 3DS version because the gameplay is so entertaining. It's a clever, unique and extremely fun game.

It's also set in a shared universe. The first game was Steamworld Dig, which was a Metroidvania/ Mining mashup and equally charming: http://imageform.se/game/steamworld-dig/

It's not on mobile but just about every other platform. These developers absolutely deserve your money.

11. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    So the description says suitable for iPad 2. Does that mean this game will run on my 1st gen iPad mini?

12. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yes, as long as you are using iOS 8.0 or above.

13. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Thanks. Just downloaded it and it plays like a dream. An amazing game, can't believe I've not heard of it before.

14. alexilalas

alexilalas Member

Nov 10, 2016
    God
    Across the universe
    Does anyone know if it is better to play on the iPad or on the Nintendo 3DS?

15. sgtspyder

sgtspyder New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    No iCloud savegames between devices.... perfect game, but this !

16. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I have both and personally I prefer to play on my iPad.

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I loved the art work right away when i read about this game last year...but nooo, it's a strategy game. Uff!

I knew it would be Shaun doing the quick review. And i scrolled right to the end in hope to read something along these lines...

"SteamWorld Heist is an excellent version of a superb, extremely creative strategy game. It's approachable enough that I would even recommend it to those who aren't necessarily followers of the strategy genre..."

Exactly what i was hoping for. Thanks Shaun for pushing me over the fence. Bought.

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Great game we have here. It's also very replayable, since ship layouts seem randomized. At least I played the same level twice because I had only achieved 2 stars the first time, and the layout was different every time.

19. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    SteamWorld Dig is an awesome game, but it's actually not the first SteamWorld game! That would be SteamWorld Tower Defense, a DSiWare game. You can still get it on the 3DS, and of course if you still have a DSi, you can grab it there, too. Not quite as brilliant as the second and third games in the series, but still pretty good if you like TD games.

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Do you like playing this on 3ds or iOS? I was going to get it on iOS just couldn't pass this up with an impulse buy! $6.99 is a steal.

I was thinking of getting the original steam world dig. Is it similar to jump jack x?