Universal SteamWorld Heist (By Image & Form)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This is lovely, the more platforms I can buy Dig on, the better!

2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Started playing with two sharpshooters now I much prefer the accuracy and trick shots you can pull off. Others are better in certain situations but if you don't know what's coming I like my tank with two sharpshooters, I'm just glad I finally decided who to use more.

3. HotHamBoy

HotHamBoy Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2015
    I'm conflicted between buying this for my iPad at $7 or getting it cross-buy for PS4 and Vita when it gets a discount from the $20 price tag. The price disparity is massive. I'm sure the game is absolutely gorgeous on iPad but I kind of want buttons.

4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Buttons are overrated get the iPad version, touch controls work great for this game and give you more satisfaction when you pull off great shots. Even the review said this iOS version is the penultimate version, I'm pretty sure it did anyway.

5. LOVE

LOVE Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Cloud save?

6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    The queen battle is pretty hard, only tried once but failed quite miserably and I haven't really failed before.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yeah, that felt like a spike to me too. I found it worked best to focus on eliminating the lieutenants as they arrived before going back to the queen. They spawn when her health reaches certain levels, so hitting her too much too soon means you get swamped by powerful enemies.

8. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Well, I'm 8 hours in to this and only just started the second zone. I'm just having so much fun going back over previous levels replaying them. This game has got to be one of my favourite iOS games of all time. Not a huge file size....gorgeous graphics....replayability....incredibly intuitive controls and a wonderful save system...and it plays like a dream even on my four year old iPad mini. And it has steampunk cowboy robots in hats. If you're still on the fence about buying this game then all I can say is spend that money now and prepare for a treat.

9. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    For me this one of the best - if not the best - game I ever played on IOS! Honestly, it has it ALL!

Just imagine this game would have some sort of roguelike mode...

10. brjann

brjann Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Hi, just wanted to comment by way of anecdote - you seem quite happy, so this is just adding a bit of flavor. :) SteamWorld Heist was actually a roguelike (or roguelite, if there's any notable difference) game for the first year or so in development: whenever a character died, he/she/it would be gone for the rest of that "profile save". And failing a mission meant game over - you'd have to start all over again. It was, to all of us who are reckless (read: "not that great at playing this game"), horrendous. :) I had just fallen in love with some character and it was pure agony to see him/her/it go. Not to mention failing a mission...

We tried to make it work for the longest time, but we saw clearly that early external testers were extremely dejected. So we decided to make it "kinder". There is actually a bit of a logical error in the game today, I think. "Barely surviving" or aborting a mission is fine, because the survivors can bring the fallen comrades back in crates for reassembly back at the ship. But if no steambots survive, how do they possibly return to the Deja vu (the home ship)? Are there large quantities of spare parts lying around so they can be reassembled? Hmmm... if anyone can come up with a plausible explanation, I'd be thrilled!

Then again, it's a game about fairly intelligent steam-driven robots in space... perhaps logic has nothing to do with it! :D

11. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Possible they're equipped with a relocation chip that automatically transfers their parts back to the ship if the whole team gets defeated, though at a greater cost in gallons than if one of them is left to limp back to ship with the other's parts...I kind of assumed that was the case.

12. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    #212 Exuare, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Aaah I can really imagine that would be just cruel to start all over from scratch but... (that's the difference between a roguelike and a roguelite) what if their AI is transfered to another body with some stats they inheirted from their previous 'host'.

Maybe as an extra mode?

I'm hours in - still at just 23 stars - replaying the first missions leveling and simply for the replaying them because playing the game is so much fun! :)

13. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Along with pinch-to-zoom and the DLC, one thing I'd love to see is a horde mode where you try to survive as long as possible and kill as many enemies as you can for high scores.

Supremely fantastic game as it is, though.

14. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Does this game have any persisting stats that carry over to next level/new game? Or is it just different levels and/or rogue like where everything is reset when you die or whatever?

15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    #215 ColeDaddy, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    If this has been discussed, apologies in advance. TL:DR. "Dazed and Disconnected" has a bug that doesn't let two of the three team members evacuate after defeating the level. Also, since I'm forced to abort, I lose money. Double-whammy.

Edit: successfully replayed the level so all is good

16. Exuare

Exuare Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    It was in the first year of development but not anymore :)

Doing missions you earn water (currency) to buy weapons and upgrades but when you die you lose/pay water to rebuild your crew again. So you lose earned water from missons so doing some missions, don't die and presto! All good again :)

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    That's interesting! I actually like the idea of the bots having their data/memories storied on a backup on their own ship in case their body is lost (They retain all their data from before their last battle). Then simply if they are all destroyed, the water is used to procure new parts. I'm going to just assume since it's all about pirates and spare parts everywhere, it wouldn't be too hard to remake a robot as long as you know which parts you're looking for. And since you pay quite a high fee the richer you are, it still makes sense that they're paying large amounts of money to reassemble your crew.

Then they probably retain all their skills because it's learned in their memories after they "level up" so that's covered. Whew :)

18. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    This reminds me of the Infinity Blade books linking all the "infinite" games together in a "finite" novel ;)

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Oh gosh I loved those novels! I still have them on my phone. The author is a master of writing, they made a bunch of wtf stuff that totally made sense. And it was like medieval / sci-fi. Good stuff :cool:

20. cowtruck123

cowtruck123 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    @brjann

Fantastic game! I own it on 3DS, and iPad! (I had it on my PS4 when I owned one as well). I think it works the best on iPad and I would love to see the DLC come over.

Any chance you guys could add the ability to pinch to zoom in and out. On iPad I would love to zoom out to see more of the map at one time.