Universal Steam Link (by Valve)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 16, 2019.

1. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Touch controls work amazingly well for mouse based games like Slay the Spire for instance.

Though I haven’t tried anything more sophisticated than card games.

2. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Decent-ish wifi finally working upstairs. Finding a fair few screen artefacts, and tbf attempting this on my mini clearly is not a sensible strategy. Will re-attempt with a full-size Air later.

I am currently left thinking that attempting tomb raider by streaming is *very bold* or rests on a truly phenomenal router #rofl

Oh, and I can't get sounds. Any sounds. At all. At the mo. Will, again, have a batter at that later.

3. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Yes, i have a crazy router.

4. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Just as a note, you really do need a 5ghz wifi band to get any of these streaming methods to work properly.

5. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah, that’s what I’m running. I was notionally pushing 100mbps earlier today, but taht seems to’ve fizzled when working in another room. And even with ‘good’ connections, I’ve got a fair few screen artefacts and wobbles.

I continue to have no audio at all (now on my iPad Air), and controls on the things I’ve tried controlling have been variable!

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Don’t think it’s been mentioned here, but the latest beta version of steam allows remote internet play. Woop woop!
    But I think there’s a caveat that the internet connection must be fast enough, ie 4G

Anyway, I tried out to over the recently more popular games over 4G last night. And gotta day, while I already use Splashtop, this isn’t a bad alternative.

I tried it out without controller. The steam link app doesn’t exactly use touch gestures, rather uses an onscreen controller or an on screen mouse which moves the pointer directly under your finger and tapping will simulate a left click at that exact point.
    So for simple interface games like Slay the Spire, the mouse pointer control actually worked half decent. It’s a little awkward reading cards in your hand, but manageable.

But anything other than a simple left click requirement in a game is a joke. I tried Into The Breach with both the mouse interface and the controller and basically lost the run I had in progress within 3 turns due a series of unavoidable miss clicks and just plain awkwardness. I’m not sure this is the fault of steam link so much as maybe these controls haven’t been implemented right in ITB?

The thing is, Splashtop and many other remote applications actually do the mouse pointer differently, which makes playing ITB actually work. They simulate the mouse by having you press on the side of your screen at an offset to the pointer, such that you can see and move the pointer around. And then they have the actual right and left mouse buttons as actual buttons on the screen for you to press. This makes for no mistakes and makes ITB and StS playable. But I think I prefer the steam control for StS so I will use it for that at least.