Universal Stealth Inc (By Curve Digital Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. onebitbeyond

onebitbeyond Active Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Sorry, I did mean to reply to that.

The game is largely similar to the Android release, with bug and stability fixes being the main improvements. There have been some interface changes too, but the game is largely the same.

I'm unfortunately unable to optimise the Android version any further at this time. Android being what it is, and Game Maker being what it is, the various combinations of Android device and GM's interpreted code, lack of multi-core support and the shadow/lighting system mean that it's hit and miss as to what kind of speed I can promise.

It's easier on iOS since the platform is fixed. I know which devices will and will not run the game well, and I can focus on getting the devices which are powerful enough (e.g. 4S +, 2/Mini +) to run it well, and let people know which devices we're not supporting. It just plain runs better on iOS too for some reason.

When the Android version was developed, it was an unexpected request from the Humble Bundle team. I was only expecting to support the Win/Mac/Linux platforms, and the Android version request came as a shock. While I had time to port the game fully, it ended up needing high system requirements. I'd actually never planned to do an Android version because of the device fragmentation and widespread availability of low speed devices. Even the PC requirements were reasonably high for a game of its type. If this were our own codebase it would be easier, but I'm at the mercy of GameMaker and so performance is largely out of my hands.

Because I can't promise decent performance, we've not released the Android version commercially outside the bundle. Game Maker also doesn't support package downloads for APKs larger than 50MB, so it was impossible to release the 60MB APK on (say) Google Play.

However, YoYo's new compiler (YYC) for GameMaker is a lot faster and support for package downloads is on the way. Converting the game to run on YYC is unfortunately not a simple process, but there would be big speed savings there on all platforms. If I get time outside of my other commitments, it would certainly be nice to do a full Android release and to update the Humble version, and to also support iPhone 4. I'll have to see how my time goes.

Bidds

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    ^^ Thanks for the reply. Kind of sucks for us who have it on Android then to not get any bug fixes. I'll keep this on my wish list for iOS as I do like the game, but can't spend another $5 for this version.

3. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm really digging this game! That Community Access IAP is looking mighty temping as it would make this game a permanent fixture on my device with the amount of content it provides... I may have to bite! In any case I am enjoying this game thoroughly!

4. onebitbeyond

Nov 13, 2013
    I am planning on doing a bug fix update for Win/Mac/Linux/Android via the Humble store version once this iOS launch is out of the way, so other users won't miss out! :)

A full-on Android release and optimisation pass is a more complicated problem though.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Community menu? is that coming to the Vita too because I have it on there (and loved it)? Would love some community built levels in that version. Any chance of that?

6. onebitbeyond

Nov 13, 2013
    That's being worked on right now. :)

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks. It works pretty well on my Nexus 7. But was hoping it would still be supported and am curious to know if the iOS version runs better. This game was one of the reasons I got the bundle. Didn't know at the time that it wouldn't be released on Google Play and didn't know an iOS version was coming.

8. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Just one little thing: If iPad's clock alarm rings while I'm playing the game freezes and I have to restart it.

9. Damjancd

Damjancd Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Game Impressions

I had a chance to play Stealth Inc after waiting till 5 in the morning because I mixed up the NZ time zones. I have to say, excellent controls. There were some people doubting that the controls would be well implemented, but alas, great controls are certainly possible for hardcore games on mobile.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I love the game too. Well worth my money. As soon as v1.0.1 goes live, I'll purchase the user-level pack.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #91 awp69, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    I need to get back to this on Android. Even though there are bug fixes coming, I think because I'm playing one of the more high end devices, it plays really well overall. And I noticed that the Community Levels are part of the package (downloading them as we speak!).

This really is a fantastic game.

Edit: Get this guys - there are over 1900 community levels on Android (which I think uses the same server as the PC version. It will be impossible to play through all of those. If the iOS version is as vibrant or also includes the PC community, it'll be well worth the IAP.

12. Yeah, looks like I am oh so much closer to getting a note 3 over an iphone 5s for the nice screen size and sd card. Will be great comparing some of these games between ios and android for sure.

13. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I didn't like the controls that much, but it is surely good enough. Overall it is a great game indeed.

14. onebitbeyond

Nov 13, 2013
    Thanks for that, I'll tell YoYo to see if they fix that in the Game Maker code.

15. onebitbeyond

Nov 13, 2013
    I think it gets easier with practice. Try not to move your thumb too much. You don't have to drag very far for it to work. In practice it works pretty similarly to a proper gamepad analogue stick.

Do let me know how you get on with it. :)

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Is there different speeds according to the distance you move your thumb from the origin? I think I've gotten to walk instead of run, but there's a very small margin and I usually always end up running.

17. Pipipitchu

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    To move slower it's better to move while ducking.

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    onebitbeyond, is there any chance you'll put Stealth Bastard on sale (availability I mean, not a price drop) for Android again? I really, really want to pick it up and I just got an Android device recently. If not with another bundle, why not just have it available on Humble Bundle like Savant - Ascent is?

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Normally not a platformers player, the "Portal" vibes piqued my interest.

So, bought and found out it's sooooooo good! Damn, like in: really really good!

After the fix/update, I'll get that IAP for another 1900 levels for sure.

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Wait, Stealth Inc. was made with a Game Maker? Awesome, I just downloaded GM yesterday and am blown away by the number of quality games made with the program. Stealth Inc., Valdis Story, Gunpoint, Frog Sord, etc.