Universal Station Manager (by Kairosoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 10, 2016.

1. mmohunt

mmohunt Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Engineer
    Berlin Friedenau
    Really addictive! It's in my must-play games list

2. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Have spent more time with this, and there are no real surprises so far. It follows the Kairosoft "operating system" for management sims, which is a good one, so there is plenty to do: some highlights as follows:-

Extend/build extra platforms
    Install/level-up/match facilities
    (also match facilities to seasons)
    Build/schedule trains
    Research facilities/trains/areas
    Increase town population
    Attract specific customer types
    Manage other stations
    Daily Missions
    Seasonal events
    Frenzy mode
    Collect income and make a profit

As already pointed out, it all looks better than earlier sims, especially with regard to menus and textures, and has the usual detailed tutorial.
    Progression is easy and, if run sensibly, it seems virtually impossible for the business to fail.

3. cameron331

cameron331 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Has anyone started a second floor? I'm not understanding how to connect stairs to my third line, the one in the top part of the photo. Apparently they can't walk across on the second floor, but stairs won't fit over there either.

Attached Files:

4. Lokai

Lokai Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    After playing the recently released F2P Kairosoft game, the plane one, I was badly looking for something real and more substantial. Based on this thread here it sounded like a good one and with F2P aspects that are very minor, but if you go to the Google Play store for this game there are a ton of very recent reviews (all in the last couple of days) specifically citing that the F2P system is problematic and more like their normal F2P games. That's pretty worrisome. If anyone gets to try it for a few hours please leave some feedback about all of that.

5. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    #26 Stronsay, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    Maybe the game on Google Play is different. On iOS it is not F2P and there are no IAP's. The items in the shop can only be bought with in-game points and in-game money earned through playing, not with real money. At least that's how it is at present.

6. cameron331

Nov 22, 2010
    #27 cameron331, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    It's not f2p. While there is a coin currency that can be used to progress faster, it does not feel necessary at all. You earn coins in-game, and I actually haven't even spent any yet. The game feels just as balanced as their other premium games, and I have been progressing at a very fair rate. I've played probably 8-10 hours with no pay walls, progress issues, or anything like that.

Most of the currency you earn in the game (cash and coins) comes from consumable items, and the game gives you these items like crazy. An item with every newsletter, an item everytime you build something new, an item most of the time when you complete research, etc. Later you will start earning lots of cash through facility rent and usage fees. Station expansions feel a bit too expensive and can take a while to save up for, but I think that's better than being able to buy everything too quickly. There have been a few times when I needed to just sit back and watch for 5-10 minutes or so before I could afford something new, but overall I think it scales well and progress for me has felt fair and constant.

You won't be able to build a huge station very quickly, but the trade off is that progress feels earned. It took a while for me to be able to build a second floor, but it felt like an accomplishment.

There are no in-app purchases. There is an option to buy coins with in-game cash, an option to turn on advertising for 24 hours for coins and a coin reward for following Kairobot on Twitter, but that's it.

7. Lokai

Lokai Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the comments about that aspect of it. I think I'll give it a try. It's been a while since I've played a premium Kairosoft game and all of the F2P ones left a bad taste in my mouth.

8. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    I just got to a new town, but I don't find any way to go back to the old one. Help

9. cameron331

Nov 22, 2010
    You might have to wait until the end of the next year before you can choose which town to play again. I haven't found another way to change towns.

10. Thomadaneau

Thomadaneau Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Digital marketing consultant
    Thanks for the answer.

I am now at the third town. It's me or this game is slow as hell compared to other Kairosoft game. I let it go all day and it gets me like... 500 cash per hour.

11. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    So I'm a huge fan of trains and Kairosoft games. But the reviews and general impressions seem to make this out to be a premium game, with very slow progression designed to force you to buy IAPs.

Is that true? Or have players/reviewers been missing something?

12. Stronsay

Aug 6, 2015
    The station manager's task is a pro-active one, so you need to keep busy. Keep an eye on stock/quality/usage levels in stores; equip them accordingly with more storage space, cleaning equipment etc - e.g. a vacuum cleaner will increase quality by 100% - check for any better matches available and relocate as necessary. Higher level/quality stores bring higher rental income/more visitors. Research as much as possible to earn additional prizes and bonuses, which are important early on when rents are low. Monitor all the stats for facility usage, customer happiness etc. See who's using trains and edit them to attract a wider variety of passnegers. Reassign customer targeting to fulfil missions, and be sure to take advantage of seasonal sales and special events. There are a few other things to do as well while waiting for your station to develop!

Building facilities and sitting back without monitoring activity and responding to changes will not achieve much. Progress will consequently be slow.

As mentioned in previous posts there are no IAP's in the iOS version, though apparently there are with Google Play.

13. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    That actually sounds very fun! I guess I'll pick it up then. Was afraid it was some f2p nightmare masquerading as a premium game.

Thanks for the lengthy post mate!

14. Dag2PT

Dag2PT New Member

Mar 29, 2016
    This is awesome game, there's a slight improvement from other kairosoft games, the way how the interface menu works. I like that.
    The graphics now have a high/medium/low suppport which is a good step for the current hardwares.

I've Ipad Air 2 and have some minor graphics problem with this game. the numbers in yellow when the window appears with the improvements statistics appear blurred and texts on some windows are not adjusted.

Anyone have the same problem?

I hope Kairosoft fix some bugs with updates.

15. ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    Played for 2 weeks

I have played the game for 2 weeks, on the first trial run i met some error since it's just trial run to see how far can i go with the game and to smash those comments on google play saying that the game is rigged.
    After the 2nd gameplay(resetting the game from zero again) armed with the knowledge but not mucb, it took me 12 years in-game to gain 1st place on yearly ranks.
    The startegy is just like few comment i've seen but most importantly is get your facilities to get a 3☆ tenant which gives quality 35% and rent 40%.
    And then researcher, i use researchers that gives bonus on stock and fee increased by 100% to all facilities(need to be maxed), faster gate use, discounted expansion and extension, cheaper item and coin (50% disc + seasonal sales make it 100%).
    With this strategy 1st town took 11 years and get 2k-3k gold income and 500-700 research points and took 1st place. 2nd town took me 2 years and get to 9th place with 700-900 gold and 100-200 research points. Not to mention when it's on frenzy mode it could get 50% more.
    The IAP? No problem, never use it never will. Got the coins for cheap on winter and now i can freely use the fast mode (1000 coins here).
    All in all, it's worth to try the game and need constant watch for changes.

16. ChronoXIII

ChronoXIII New Member

Jun 23, 2016
    On 2nd floor you should make it rear-facing not front, if you do that you basically kills the way to reach the other platform in a roundabout way, and this is the error i made on my first trial run :/

17. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone know how to install second floor on the first town??

18. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    If you fill all platforms at some point you'll get the option. I do not know the exact trigger.

19. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks! Btw do you happen to know the benefits of having a long train? Is it more advantageous if you deploy longer trains in a populated town?