Starting out question

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jr95, Sep 18, 2010.

1. jr95

jr95 New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Evening all!

Make things short here I'm really interested in developing iPhone games I've got a couple ideas, and experience with some programming. I was just wondering do I need an iPhone to develop / test my apps or could I purchase an ipod touch? In terms of cost the ipod touch would be cheaper.

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

An iPod touch will work just fine.

3. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    Indeed, an iPod Touch will be probably enough for the startup. However there are a few differences - here is a short list of iPhone-only features:
    - GPS (except the 1st gen iPhone), though this might not be vital for most games
    - vibration
    - better sound quality when using the built-in speakers
    - camera (older iPod Touches do not have a camera)
    - phone functions (probably irrelevant for games)

Besides these there is a more important aspect which might make you consider buying an iPhone too: performance. The iPhone models used to have an underclocked CPU compared to their breathren iPod Touch models. The cause: preserving battery life is more important for an iPhone than for the iPod Touch.

The best would be to have the whole arsenal of iDevices and test your apps on each and every model. I personally managed to detect performance bottlenecks an weird issues, which would be still hidden if I tested exclusivly on a single device type and/or model. Of course you can also hire beta testers, which is probably cheaper than buying all iPod Touch and iPhone models.

One more hint: if you consider buying a 3rd gen iPod Touch, be aware that the *8GB* models have actually the same hardware specs as the 2nd gen.

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well if you want to go "cheap" and have a nearly complete testbase

get 3 ipod touches, 3rg gen 8gb ipod (=iphone 3g), 3rdgen 32gb ipod (=iphone 3gs) and a 4rg gen 8gb ipod(=iphone4)

if support for older devices is not youre top priority for get the iphone3g/3rd gen 8gb touch

but you should have at least latest 2 generations of touches to support 3gs and iphone4 with retina &co

5. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I test with a second generation iPod Touch. It's the lowest hardware supported for Game Center, ensuring that I reach the largest possible audience.

6. jr95

jr95 New Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the input I really appreciate it!

7. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    I co-developed iFist without having an iPhone of my own (though my girlfriend was kind enough to let me test on hers). I'm not the programmer mind you :) As 180 got underway, a friend was kind enough to donate his older iPhone to me (yeah, I will actually buy a device someday if my sales take off..)