Universal Starsceptre (by Richard Morgan)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
    very hard to play

need better controls

2. 8bitmagicgames

8bitmagicgames Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Hey Bumpygames, thanks that's really interesting as it ranges between people finding it super easy (asking for a hard mode) through to your feedback.

So I can work on specifics, what do you find most hard about the controls?
    • Is it sensitivity - to easily
    • is it triggering the loop mechanism too much or not being away of that to get out of danger
    • or something else?

Are you finding certain enemy ships a challenge?
    • for example I know people who get stuck on the first two mid-ship bosses in level one and so might need to adjust that

May I ask how far you've got already?

Excellent, thanks for the heads up!!!

Best
    Rich
    Solo Indiedev 8Bit Magic Games ltd

3. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    I've got the button code working for the bombs now and the joystick dead zone for loop the loop is working well

Question, the double button (bomb and shoot) presents a challenge in tilt. I'm thinking tap anywhere to shoot, but tap the ship to release the bomb. What do you guys think?

Thanks

4. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    I'm sorry i can't play now because i don't want to loose my progress. i'm still waiting 4 the update to play.
    Untill then...
    No tap ship! Then it depends on which control set up. Too much effort when concentrating on everything that'z going on the screen. It may seem like the Starsceptre can take a que 4rm
    Sky Force Reload to add the rewind function to have everything tied into the control of the ship. I think it would benefit fans to have all three control settings to our likeing.

Control Options

1. Tilt'n'Shmup

2. Joystick

3. Relative Touch - GUNBIRD2 i noticed with Valpiro you can frantically tap to shoot more bullets at a faster rate. as well as CAVE's
    Dodonpachi-Ichimen-Bancho before the bullet output upgrades.

On the power ups weapons you can look at Icarus & Lightning Fighter 2 to have them bounce around the screen to see which one you want when they change. You could even have them change in one succession or have them drop slower. Like with the laser It'z nearly impossible to choose which one you want. It'z like the power ups will be one less thing to work against Onalee & Ensign Rook

5. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    I think that sounds like a good call. I'll look into the weapons again and see what I can do. I might drop the Bells n Whistles/ Detana Twinbee approach to weapons.

The laser I need to fix so it doesn't make changing weapons a pain.

Yeah I'm wondering how to trigger the bomb in Tilt Mode if we don't touch the ship, but I know what you mean that can be a pain.

I think it will be three buttons:
    • fire
    • loop
    • bomb

Thanks!

6. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Relative touch would mean re doing the entire game engine. I'll see if there is a fix to implement it, but not sure right now.
    I'll look into it.

I'll get the fix out tonight, ran into issues last night so you can carry on !

7. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #107 7lilwhitewolf7, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Thank You. As soon as it hits i'm on it! Yeah i see what you mean to take what you mainly created Starceptre on iz like to take the main element out. Tilt'n'Shmup should soon be a household term for the genre.

I am not on the Boss that i'm on with the last piece because i'm not having fun. Take for example your hints & tips you posted for the 1zt behemoth i had trouble with like " ? am i doing wrong!" It took me almost a month to destroy it right b4 your guidance! I'm still Amazed at how that came out! I don't think i have ever been on a rollercoaster # of emotions and that determined to get thru a Shmup and then it'z has been very fun to communicate with other TouchArcadians and You as a great Developer. Maaaaaaaaaan stop it!
    History and Blueprints are being made from you in this Awesome genre, look at your reviews Yo!

WOW BumpyGames, i saw that
    # Keep Going Yo!

8. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Thanks mate!!!!! I'll get it out asap!

To all what's your favourite game's weapon system?

9. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    So the bomb triggers are coming along nicely. In the released game the bomb triggers the minute you collect it so it becomes about timing and skill.

Now in the version I'm working on you have two buttons in the joystick mode, the bottom one for shooting and the top for bomb.

For tilt mode you hold down one finger or thumb to shoot and tapping two fingers or thumbs triggers a bomb release.

You can now collect more than one bomb up to 6 bombs for collecting massive destruction.

I'll post footage once I have it all tweaked!

Remember the special price option will be going soon, so you can still get Starsceptre half price for a couple more days.

Thanks
    Rich
    Solo indiedev 8Bit Magic Games

10. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    https://instagram.com/p/BZCOU68H-2O/

Quick video of the new buttons and two-finger bomb trigger in the new version. Just tweaking the code now. Note the game runs faster than the video, this was video recorded by my iPad as it was playing.

11. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    I'm extending the sale price for another 5 days. Half price on the App Store. Until the 20th September!

12. ra51

ra51 Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Just got this game and been playing it for the last 30 minutes or so and wow on this for these reasons :

- it's a shmup, nuff said
    - glorious pixel art
    - those cutscenes, holy shit! Reminds me of those weird Saturday morning cartoons from the 80s/90s
    - voice acting a bit corny at times but that's what makes it even better!
    - got that old skool arcade shooter feel
    - everything feels high quality
    - wait...this was built on codea??? ####in a...that is impressive.

Now what I'm wondering if there will be MFI support cause I been finding myself enjoying playing games with an actual controller lately.

Nonetheless, superb work on this. Now you got me motivated to try something with Codea.

13. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Thanks @ra51 - glad you like it.

Yeah that dialogue is intended to be 80s over the top cartoon dialogue referencing some classic 80s films and cartoons too!

For the new version I'm almost finished putting in a button for the Bomb so you can collect them, as well as changing the bonus scoring - the 'no weapon' bonus is too confusing so I'm switching that with a crystals collection bonus instead!

Also finished taking out some tiny bugs too

I'll let you know once it's out!

I'll be looking into MFI controller support, it's a bit more intensive as it involves Xcode and my game is mainly coded in Codea's Lua. I'll let you know when I have cracked it.

Lastly, who's managed to find the secret KonamiCode screen? Look for something flashing on the main menu!

Thanks again
    Rich

14. 人参人間

Nov 11, 2015
    Tokyo, Japan
    Love this game for the reasons that have been already stated, but especially because of the cutscenes. Love 'em.

And found the Konamin Code screen now that you mentioned yet! Yeehaw!

15. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Awesome!!!

In the new version I'm using new konami codes to unlock real players in the game. So if you ever wanted to be in a game, check out the Instagram page and look for the post about #putmeinstarsceptre !!

16. ra51

ra51 Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Oh cool I want to be in Starsceptre!!! Not much of an instagram user though :(.

Btw, it would also be cool if we can pause the game and put in the konami code like we used to back in the day too :). Just like Gradius....ah the memories...

17. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Hi all the new version is out for Starsceptre with the new bomb button so you can collect and use bombs when you like. Unlike other weapons when you time rewind you get to keep any unused bombs!

Also I've baked in some surprises for LordShadows and 7LilWhitewolf7 - check your emails or twitter for details

Thanks
    Richard
    Solo dev on Starsceptrr

18. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Ha hah lol, maybe I'll do that on the next version.

Are you on twitter? Just DM me a photo and I'll build your avatar for the next release!

Rich
    Twitter: @8bitmagicgames
    Instagram: @richardamorgan

19. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701

hey Richard, congrats for this great game, also reminds me old saturday cartoon mornings...

how the Konami code and twitter/instagram things work? can't understand it.

20. 8bitmagicgames

Jun 23, 2017
    Me too! Loved those old cartoons!

No problem. Look for the flashing star on the main menu. That takes you to a hidden Konami Code screen - if you know the Konami Code enter it here using the virtual NES controller.

If you DM me a photo I’ll make your avatar for the menu screen for the next release and will give you a unique Konami Code that only you can use to unlock your menu sceeen avatar (unless you share your code that is)

Make sense?