Starfront Collision Online Strategies and Meet-Ups

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Epox, Feb 17, 2011.

1. hobbez

hobbez Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2009
    happened twice to me. Says waiting for player, then says i lost internet...bah!

I'm sure it's happening every now and then to everyone.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Surprisingly, I've had no disconnects to date. That's definitely a first, but I don't recall having any similar problems with DH2, MC2, or Nova 2 either. Gameloft has their multiplayer system down.

3. phillipsteak

phillipsteak Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I really need a crash course in rts'. the two games i played, i ended up sucking so much. when i'm playing campaign i just build units as they come up. anybody nice enough to write a crash course for me? :eek:

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'll definitely help you out. I'm not sure what you're looking for though. Do you have anything a little more specific?

5. phillipsteak

phillipsteak Member

Oct 4, 2010
    lol well i need to first start on basics. so maybe like how to manage resources? how to react to different situations, what units/resources i need etc.

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Try this out for now. Ask if you have questions :].

7. phillipsteak

phillipsteak Member

Oct 4, 2010
    thanks saw this a couple pages back and decided to try it. it worked in a skirmish match on expert :D. now my question is how do i manage everything without rushing?

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'll definitely post on this topic later when I'm don't worry. Give me some time heheh.

9. con4224

con4224 New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ok, someone with a different suggestion on a strategy, one that actually works? ;)

While you use 250 minerals on building up your economy and a scout, the enemy will either a) have an assembly and a guardian that will kill any miner that you might wanna build from now on, or even worse b) built a Safeguard next to your base with one of his first miners which kills all miners you might wanna build.

The only way I see is to never waste any time. --> 3 miners to minerals, 1 miner creates your race's infantry building, pump your mineral-only infantry unit without end. If you do that you will never have resources to even build your second mine and migrate into a different strategy. If you don't do that, you end up with the inferior army and are overrun.

Maybe there are ways to overcome that. Maybe building your race's defense structure, I don't know yet against how much infantry that could hold. If someone has found something to work I'd be very grateful, because otherwise it's really boring.

10. Naorioto

Naorioto Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    With a good micro,a tower and a peon,you can kill a lot of infantry :p
    Backtothis,message me when you can play

11. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #111 backtothis, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    LOL, that makes me laugh. You're telling me that my strategy doesn't work when I've beat everyone on the top 20 and am at the top of boards.

Well first off, I clearly stated that this was a novice start for absolute beginners. I'm giving you one of my starts so that you'll stand a chance in multiplayer in case you run into a pro. I'm pretty sure that I stated that you would have to expound on my rush tactic once you figure out how to play. This is only meant to be a baseline.

On large 2vs2 maps, you have plenty of time to throw three miners into your mine and make a new mining building. Make an assembly with the first miner you make and forget scouting for a bit if you're on a 2vs2 map. Concentrate on having no downtime in producing a guardian to defend against any turret or normal that rush that may come your way. You can take it from there. On a small map, you're probably best off doing what you suggested. Make an assembly as soon as the game starts and give it your best shot.
    Yes, if you know how to run around without dying and how to repair, a tower and a worker can get you pretty far in the early game. Sorry I don't turn on push notifications for GL Live haha. I'm on now.

12. dinoeggs777

dinoeggs777 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011

Actually, im # 10 rite now, or i was an hour ago anyway, but i basically only get along with the rush that backtothis made
    it works rly well, especially when ur fast enough to plant that miner the second u get him, and then don't waste any time
    if that doesnt work, and they manage to defend, i usually end up either losing or building up enough guardians to force my way through
    i almost never upgrade anything and only use the base guardians
    if i don't win with that, im screwed
    but i havent lost other than against hungryapp1 today
    and i beat him the 3rd time i played him
    so basically, backtothis strategy works rly well, even against stronger players

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #113 backtothis, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
    Well, haha I don't use it like that. If I can get through the first five minutes without dying to a rush, the enemy is done. The only times I've lost were by completely failing at rushing or getting rushed unexpectedly, but that's only happened 9 times in total :]. In the long game, no one honestly even stands half a chance since it appears like no one knows how to do anything besides mass guardians, even in longer games. By the tenth minute on a 2vs2 map, I'll have pop cap with deviants if the game somehow lasts that long. The opponent is still trying to mass guardians..it's pretty hilarious actually. But yeah, people need to understand that SF is more than just about rushing, and that a guardian rush from the Warden isn't the win all end all. Too bad no one seems to knows that..not even the supposed "pros" in the top 10.

14. phillipsteak

phillipsteak Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I do pretty well rushing while online, but I can't help but feel its cheap

15. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lol..the entire point of my last post was to say that blocking a rush isn't hard as long as you know how to play. Try it on me and we'll see how cheap you still think it is afterwards :].

16. Artunit

Artunit New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    ROfl pls don't compare this game to Starcraft.

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Who is? You don't compare iOS games to consoles or the pc.

18. con4224

con4224 New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Good :)

Something like four out of five games I faced opponents that just pumped out guardians now. Maybe it's a phenomenom of the mid and lower ranks that will disappear over time, as strategies settle. Without getting defense up right away my experience is that you have a real hard time fighting back. I suppose with good micro and knowing what you do you can still succeed. Novices won't.

To nitpick, you were explicitly suggesting that for the small 1vs1 maps (because you know where to rush to).

Anyhow, I see that towers can save your neck quite a bit, so I have regained some hope that the "pump infantry" as the only strategy will disappear over time :)

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Good luck in the future :].

20. Mmauser

Mmauser New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    #120 Mmauser, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
    Balance and curiosities

Hey folks just wanted to pop in and echo that just as backtothis mentions, stopping a rush is not impossible, this game is entirely about macro and situational response. I'm a top-end player (1800+ ATM 62-22) I play myriad and warden, their both really good and all 3 races are pretty well balanced (can't speak much on consortium only played like 7 games with them) I'm not gonna post some swath of strategical insight other than if your unable to acknowledge the flaws of your gameplay and apply forethought from that to your next game you'll never make it out of the 1500 bracket. Warden isn't "really" over powered they are just the most forgiving-to-mistakes and are very easy to learn. With out-a-doubt warden currently own the early game but they are not invincible, especially if you play myriad -- I've never lost a game to warden as myriad after the rush-phase. It can be a daunting task but if your xenodium/energy ever get above the cost of what your planning on building next; your doing it wrong. If your sick of warden rushing you then prepare for it (myriads' listen up, manglers < guardians ergo tower into venom spitters) if they go deviant that means you go venom/flame aphid - and from there I usually go into air -- the unit counters in this game are simple you just have to wrap your head around who can get what and how quickly. Now all that being said, I'm curious-who of you play on the iPad vs the iPhone? (I know primary devices are listed)