Starfront Collision Online Strategies and Meet-Ups

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Epox, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    nvmbacktothis i read up a little and i see ur strat

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I really am not sure. You gotta find someone here on TA that uses them. I'd say mass infantry for defense early on. Make strikers as fast as you can and upgrade them to max. Attack when you feel like you have enough. A bit of micro might also help. I have no clue what to do late game with them. Mixing vehicles from the factory or aircraft are probably the way to go though.

3. Loganaustin

Dec 12, 2010
    im going to try the wardens out and use ur strategy

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, alright man. It's definitely a good start to learning how to use the Wardens.

5. Loganaustin

Dec 12, 2010
    wardens wreck just saying

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Consortium is also very good. I'd say the Myriad are at the biggest disadvantage in this game unless you really know how to use them.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Really get to know each map; you need to make different decisions based on which maps are being used. For example, this what I generally do for each map while using Wardens:

-Frozen Wasteland: it's a 2vs2 map, so I generally do an eco start and make an assembly at the chokepoint leading to your base. It's pretty small compared to some 2vs2 maps so I'd make guardians early just in case. Turrets might be good too if that's how you play.

-Rumble in the Jungle: one of the smallest maps; get a good rush going by making an assembly right next to their base as fast as possible and maybe throw in another miner to make a turret right by his mining facility.

-Swift Resolution: the smallest 2v2 map; I'd either perform a rush and put everything into it so you can get the most amount of guardians into his base as fast as possible, or you can turret up the chokepoint ramp leading to your base and make an assembly to produce guardians. Add more turrets as needed if you're playing Wardens. If you're playing the other to races, just attack when you feel like you have enough guardians

-Downtown: the smallest map; either put everything into your rush, or put up defenses very quickly if you see that you're playing Wardens. You'll have 2-3 guardians attacking you in no time so be ready.

-Wasteland: one of the bigger 2vs2 maps; I'd say get an eco start going and make an assembly early. You're not going to get rushed too fast because there's a pretty good chance your enemy isn't going to find you in his first attempt so you have some time. Just don't wait too long before pumping out guardians.

-Underground Reactor: an interesting 2v2 map that I guess we can say is pretty big; go for a rush if you want, but build your eco a bit first. If you don't want to do that, just defend and be ready for an attack.

-Highlands: you can feel pretty safe here since it's the biggest 2vs2 map, and there's only one way to reach your base. I generally haven't seen anyone try a rush here. I'd make some defenses and try to go for air power here. Don't forget to expand your eco to 4 mines and 3 power plants if the game lasts over 10 minutes.

Of course, these are just some starts to the map. You're not going to win everytime by just rushing so prepare to switch methods in case your doesn't go well. If you're playing defense, I'd go for airpower if I was playing against the Wardens. Against the cons/myr, guardians will usually suffice in mass when upgraded to max armor/atk power/range ability. In the late game against them, I'd pull out mass deviants, or put in some air power (hover drones). Don't forget to make the mega unit in the late game and upgrade its deadly special ability.

8. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Ummm....if I'm exsuasted from xenonium and I don't have enough to build a new plant, am I screwed?

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Beyond words.

10. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Yep, that was a good game. I ended up being annihilated when the other guy discovered I had no units left lol. It was pretty fun, it was a 1v1v1 match, and I was kind of lucky because at the start the other two guys focused on each other while I patiently built up my factories ;)

11. Fritsc

Fritsc Member

Feb 14, 2011
    #91 Fritsc, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    So I've been playing this game for quite a while now.

I feel that this game could be so much better if there's no rush. In all the games I've played seems like Warden is the race that tend to rush the most. And unlike in SC2, there's not that many thing to scout and often time when you reach the enemy base to scout there's already a chance that an army is in your base already. I'd really love this game if only we start off with 3 workers, and 0 xenodium instead of 200 which promote all this rushing.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I guess in a way you're right. Rushing shouldn't be made completely impossible, but there should be some way to dumb the Warden rush a little. They could make the assembly cost 150 like the other two races and possibly raise the cost of guardians as well.

13. Fritsc

Fritsc Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Rushing will and never be impossible. If we were to all start with 50 Xenodium, like in 50 Minerals in Starcraft, we will have to make decisions to either rush or just play normally. Starting with low Xenodium will also promote a smarter play, scouting the enemies and reacting to what they are making or if they are rushing. I haven't played the Warden race, but how much does an Assembly cost?

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well, you kind of already have to choose. If you put everything into getting the fastest rush possible, you've lost if your rush fails since it'll take quite a while to recover from the lost resources. The assembly costs 100. The guardian costs 120.

15. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I support to start with lower minerals

16. Fritsc

Fritsc Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Well, of course you have to choose everything. But right now it's a bit of a no-brainer on what to choose, especially on a 1v1 map. I mean, starting with a lower Xenodium will not change the game at all. It just slows the game overall. Right now I'm in the 1600 bracket, and have learn that just to make the cannon thing whenever I'm against a Warden and won the game when they try to rush me and realize that they can't.

EDIT: Is there anyway I can see the balance patch changelog?

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Alright, that makes sense. I agree then. The 1v1 maps definitely encourage rushing. The best games for me have taken place on the Highlands map (biggest) and Wasteland map. Besides those, most games end within the first 5 minutes. The other 2vs2 maps yield decent games sometimes, but generally not.

18. Fritsc

Fritsc Member

Feb 14, 2011
    God..
    I hate it when I'm winning, and destroying the enemy base, and then suddenly Gameloft decide to disconnect me.. FUUUUUUUUUUU

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Funny enough, I've never been disconnected even once. Wow, Hociles has played 80 games today now..he's at 97/112 currently with 1979 points. What the hell lol..he has more games played than me now damnit. He's 27 points ahead!

20. con4224

con4224 New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    after playing a few matches, here is my one and most important strategy advice:
    The very first thing you want to build is your race's infantry building and a first infantry unit. Before even building your second mineral mine. Otherwise chances are that you are dead meat during the first minute, when a worker rushes you and build a "defense" structure next to your base. You can't defend against that except by killing either the worker or the structure before it's ready. The ugly thing is that you can't scout that kind of strategy.
    This game is really rush centric.