Starfront Collision Online Strategies and Meet-Ups

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Epox, Feb 17, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, I've played every online game so far with the Wardens :].

2. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ah damn, it's late again since I didn't want to stop playing..I'll definitely be making a very long post here tomorrow though! It's Saturdayyy.

3. Ezak

Ezak Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    #63 Ezak, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
    Still not sure what race to pick yet, will need many more games before I figure that out (although wardens seem pretty insane in every stage of the game)

I'm considering switching to move/hold to attack vs default attack move, since it will allow to actually micro (like instantly pulling damaged units to the back of the army and kiting with stop/shoot micro) anyone already done that got feedback?
    Can't wait for iPad version, as it should be easier to select single units :p

Haven't found the time to play online yet so doing quick skirmishes at work...
    I find pro difficulty level playing warden to be pretty hard to beat without "cheating" his initial push (kite away with a unit, stupid AI will stick to it)
    Seems he only attacks if you try to tech, If you mass army asap, he won't be as aggressive.

SC2 ladder this WE but I'll try to play later on.
    Name is Sherpak, add me for some games ;)

Btw, it's not mentioned in the game but you can select all similar units/buildings on screen by pressing and holding one for a second

4. Naorioto

Naorioto Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    Am I The Only One Here play mirade?
    It's true that it's hard to rush or to resist of a rush,but in late game,they're amazing :D

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Wow, thanks Ezak, definitely didn't know you could do that with buildings.

6. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah I think you are haha xP. It's rare to find a game with anyone using them.

I have some stuff to post about the game/strategy/etc and don't know where to begin, so I'm wondering if anyone has any specific questions on anything. I'd be happy to answer them.

7. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Really? I actually like the myriad, they're a fun race to play with, cool units. Especially at the start when you could mass produce those starting fighter things for 40 xen and 0 energy.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well, the thing is, one guardian can take on 3 of them, and 2 guardians can take on ten evenly.

9. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I suppose, yet a guardian costs 120 xen + energy and it takes longer to create, so they are about even.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It doesn't take energy but yes the cost is 3x and the build time is nearly 3x as well.

11. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Have you even started on campaign? Or has it been multiplayer ranked matches ever since release?

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #72 backtothis, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
    I'm on level 5 of campaign :p, so not too far. Hm, well I've played quite a bit of custom games as well haha.

Damn, it's getting pretty intense. Just had a 20 minute game where I relied on my air units to win it.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The battle drones + the mega unit from the Warden are unstoppable, holy shit xD..

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #74 backtothis, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Since no one is asking anything, I'll just start off with a strategy post similar to the one earlier, but a perfected version.

Here's a good strategy for novices to online play: the guardian rush with the Warden Faction. This is good for small maps designed for 1vs1 where you know where the enemy will be for sure.

-send 3 miners into the mining building you begin with and send the other 1 to build another mb on the other mine in your base.

-Zoom out all the way, open the control group arrow, and click the HQ. Purchase a miner the second you have 50 minerals and rally it to your opponent's base. Make it control group 1.

-Change your rally point to a place right by your new mb, and make 2 more miners as soon as you get 50. Put these into your new mb. Your control group 1 miner should be at the enemies base by now.

-You might have to wait a few seconds, but as soon as you get 100 minerals, make an assembly somewhere very close to your opponents base, but out of the main path if they should send a unit out.

-While the assembly is building, make another miner and fill up the last space in your new mb.

-You should have enough for a guardian (120) when your assembly is completed if you have done everything so far with no down time at all. Rally him to your opponent's mines.

-Queue a second guardian while you send your first one in. If he has units, which is doubtful if he's also warden, but possibly likely if he's the other 2 races, aim for them first. You should be able to handle them, especially when your second guardian makes his way in.

-If he has a turret, get out of its range by using force move (holding an area for 2 seconds) and attack one of his buildings not inside the turret range (most likely his military building or hq) since the range isn't large enough to defend everything. Also, in the meantime, don't forget to keep rallying guardians and keep your minerals below 120 at all times.

-At this point, you've either won, or you've failed the rush. If you're against the Consortium or Warden, most likely you've won. So, I guess I can say use this strategy sparingly if your enemy is also using Wardens since they will have a good chance of holding you off. Aim at military buildings first and kill anything that comes out of them. If you succeed, the game is over.

-If your opponent somehow spotted you early on or somehow defended against your rush, don't keep wasting units and stop making guardians. Running is a good option at times. Force move any survivors if it looks like your rush is going to fail.

-If this is the case, make another miner immediately and send any units you have left back to your base. Build a power plant and fill it with 2 miners. Then upgrade both of your mb to hold 5 miners, and fill those, and then to 7. During this process, make sure you make another assembly in your base for defense and make a guardian whenever you have a surplus (over 120). When making miners, don't just queue like 4 of them and have 200 of your minerals subtracted from your stockpile. Queue 1-2 at a time. This way, you'll be able to make additional guardians during the time you're trying to fill each of your mb with 7 miners.

-When you have 5 guardians in your base and both mb upgraded to max, research the ranged attack ability for guardians. This makes short work of any of basic units as well as towers.

-From here, you're on your own. Just remember to attack frequently, expand your eco to 4 mb and 3 power plants, research upgrades, and make more advanced units if it's getting to be a long game. Mix in air units if the game is past 15 minutes. Don't forget to make the Mega unit as well. It's a bringer of death.

Good luck with this start/strategy. Keep practicing until you can play with no downtime at all. Definitely ask if you have questions. Cheers.

15. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    y cant i find any 2v2 matches is no one doing them?

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, if you check out the leaderboards for 2vs2, there's like no one on there. Most people play 1vs1. If you're looking for a 2vs2 game, create a custom game with a 2vs2 map. Those usually fill up pretty fast. You should still be able to have a good time even though it's not ranked.

17. Loganaustin

Dec 12, 2010
    damn Backtothis ur 71/75

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Haha yeah, got cocky 2 of those games and got whooped after underestimating my opponent. The other 2 games my opponent pulled some moves I hadn't seen before. Not planning on losing anymore anytime soon though xD..hopefully heh.

19. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Were those first matches against me ranked? lol if so you better thank me for that head start.

20. Loganaustin

Dec 12, 2010
    ugh im 2/6 cause this one opponent i keep on goign against keeps on pausing the game every 10 seconds i cant get anything done so i just forfeited because it was annoying me haha, but one of those matches might have been u. Not sure though. What kind of strategy should i use for terran(or consortium or w.e)