Starfront Collision Online Strategies and Meet-Ups

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Epox, Feb 17, 2011.

1. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Hey, sorry for ignoring your invites, I was already playing a game :) next time though.

Guys, multiplayer is awesome. As soon as I get a good strategy going I'd love to play you guys online in some epic 2v2 or free for alls.

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #22 backtothis, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Initial strategy post:

Warden faction

-3 miner to fill pre-made mine facility, 1 miner to make a second mine facility; this is the universal start

-make a miner the second you have enough, and explore him until you find the enemy's base (which is usually directly across from you, but not always on bigger maps)

-If it's a small 1v1 map, get ready to rush. Practice this in skirmish, or you can just improvise like I did while online xD. With the one exploring miner, make the basic infantry building somewhere near your opponent. Rally guardians (basic melee unit) into the opponent's base, use discretion on what to do next.

-By the time you're attacking, you should already have 2 filled mining facilities along with a miner ready to make a third mining facility at a distant mine on the map; this will allow you to keep the guardians to continuously queue from your basic infantry building. If I'm not mistaken, the infantry building costs 100 and each guardian costs 120. By the way, you upgrade mining facilities with 50 energy. This allows you to send 2 more miners into the facility.

-If your opponent fended off the rush, I'd suggest grabbing an energy mine and more normal mines and upgrade buildings + guardians + pop cap along with making a few more infantry buildings near the opponents base. Attack when you feel like you're ready and hope you have enough guardians to overwhelm the enemy. So far, I've always had enough.

-If it's a big map or your rush failed, I'd suggest building up your economy more and pump out heavy hitters; experiment in skirmish on what each of these more advanced units can do. If you're going to play a boom game on a large map, spend the first few minutes completely on your eco, then start pumping out aircraft along with the mega unit. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Anyways, this is just an initial post after 8 online matches. Cheers!

P.S. Always target enemy military units before attacking their buildings, and remember to make a control group of your army. Whatever you do, don't make turrets!

3. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    40 the max pop? I can't seem to go higher then that

4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, 40. That's definitely enough though, and you're most likely not going to get near that if you're playing a skilled opponent online.

5. djWHEAT

djWHEAT Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Moving this from the original RELEASE THREAD:
    I'm not talking about the resources like $/gas, I'm talking about the FOOD COUNT of my Workers. I need to double check and test this but it seemed like when I recycled a building the worker food didn't return back to me, so it's like having a negative food count. Again I need to test this out for certain but that's how it seemed to be.

I'd advise people to be careful when building an army cause it's really easy to build to close to your pop cap and then you're unable to make workers for new mines.

I figured you could make new CC's just cause of the way the maps are laid out, but I suppose that makes sense.

BTW, someone commented that there's no micro in the game, and I totally disagree. I found that ZOOMING in slightly during engagements allows you to select and pull units a bit better. I was micro'ing marines EZ against a few guys online for easy victory.

6. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    In in double study hall so I had to make a post.we are definitely playing a 2v2 tonight

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hell yes we're doing a 2v2 tonight man.

To the poster above: actually the miner population count disappears as soon as you populate the mine. If you don't believe me, just throw 3 of your miners into the mining facility at the very start. Your pop count will go immediately to 1. Yes, there's definitely micro in this game. As I stated in the other thread, If you're gonna use the human race, you better know how to micro. Actually, I don't think getting to pop cap comes that fast. The game feels perfectly paced to me, but I guess it's smart to keep an eye on where you pop level is at.

8. djWHEAT

djWHEAT Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Ahhh, that makes perfect sense that it "frees" up the supply once they goto mine. And that would explain why the supply doesn't "free" back up. Thanks for pointing that out. I haven't played the other races yet, so I'm not sure how the micro mechanics work for the other two, but I'll be playing around with them to see what I can find out.

I also like the pace of the game, I had simply asked about the Command Center because it seemed like the map almost looked to be designed for an additional base.

9. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, I thought so too. But I think it works a lot better this where you just make lots of mining outposts. Number 6 on leaderboardssss.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    PM starting around 1 am EST if you want to play a few private 1v1s or 2vs2s :]..

11. Kylescorpion

Kylescorpion Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Add me guys!

Thanks for answering btw ^

12. Nesvand

Nesvand Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Review Editor
    Australia
    Woah woah woah wait... we're playing an RTS with a bit of a SC-edge to it... and noone has asked if this is THE djWHEAT?

Please tell me we can expect a Kings of Tin for Starfront! ;)

13. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Feel free to add me on GL, my name is Paradiso for that too.

I'm not quite ready for too much multiplayer yet though, ive been busy with college and work stuff today, so I'm just now starting the campaign, but I'll be playing tonight for sure.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Add Backtothis on GL Live if you haven't already.

Haha Paradiso, I just played the tutorials and made my way straight to multiplayer. The majority of the people on there are just starting out so there's plenty of time to figure out how best to play the game while online like I did. Hope to catch you online soon either way.

Guys, we need to play a 2vs2 today!

15. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Just tried to play a match, 1v1 and I lost cause the connection was lost :(

It'll take forever to get used to each race, let alone each unit. It's fun though, but I know I'll enjoy it more once the HD version releases. Hopefully they let the camera zoom out a bit more than they do now.

16. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    Add me too guys, maybe we can make a game sometime. Mudkipz223 is my username

17. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Definitely, the camera should be allowed to zoom in more.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ready for today's rematches?

19. thethinice

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    I might be able to play in 2-2 1/2 hours.

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ah damn I'm about to start now. I generally don't start playing at 3 am EST like yesterday lol..I have school in the morning.