Universal Starbeard (by Jolly Good Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Jolly Good Games

Jul 30, 2019
    Female
    London
    It's great feedback and it's definitely something we had thought to include in a future update but for a different game mode with the Starbeard? We have 12 months of content planned with 4 major updates therein (all free updates) so who knows?

raravan and ste86uk like this.
  2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm loving how you've scaled the game! My first run all the way to the end wasn't that difficult...but I've noticed as new powers and heroes are unlocked, things get a bit nastier in the further runs.

Der Khan likes this.
  3. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    #23 PBSNellie, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Yes, another mode where you could carry over what you've won would be nice. Then the current mode could be called HardCore or something like that.

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Have you played the game? This really wouldn't make sense unless they did some major redesign. The fun of the game is in the unlocking of new characters, monsters, and powers for use in future runs. Since using these then newly unlocked characters is key to unlocking further characters, each with their own unique combination of initial skills, using the same character with the skills they'd built up to the end boss fight in the previous run would screw up the game's scaling difficulty.

I can also add, compared to other games of this nature, it isn't that tough to clear all 3 planets and then defeat the main baddy. I'm far from a strategy gaming pro and I made several successful runs my first day of play.

Also did you mean to include the quote about Tulsi Gabbard?

5. HumbleSloth

HumbleSloth Active Member

Apr 30, 2014
    #25 HumbleSloth, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    In the Gnome Tome it says Garden Gear is coming soon. Anyone know what that is and when it’s coming?

6. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    No I did not! In fact it was meant for another group, lol! Sometimes my computer does some strange things. So I removed it from my original post. But to answer your question, I did buy the game and do like it, but I haven't gotten very far in it yet as I am leaving on a trip tomorrow. I was just commenting on that because there are other games that have that option. I don't know enough about development to know how that works.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Not trying to be a twit, but as a fan of the clean slate restart, I'd hate to see this game get overly wussified. Once you get the flow, PBSN, you'll be busting bosses like a baddass, I'm certain.

My "pro" tip of the day:
    Go ahead and push wasps around, but try not to kill them, it's not worth the collateral damage

Jolly Good Games and Der Khan like this.
  8. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Thanks, LG. I always appreciate your input and insights. I've played games for several years, but still have much to learn!

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I also soon came to realize slow and steady wins the race. Most of the pests aren't deadly to you directly on the board but only if they hit the bottom. Just try to avoid overflow, rack up resources, and zap the boss when convenient.

Der Khan likes this.
  10. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    since yesterday the game is stuck on loading screen. Is it just me? I tried also deleting and reinstalling but didn’t work. Is stuck on the “best enjoyed with headphones” screen.

11. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Working for me

12. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Ok I sorted it out turning off the mobile. Some problem with gamecenter I think

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I keep looking at this thread and being tempted so despite all the money I’ve spent on iTunes lately I give in and just bought it. Looking forward to checking it out.

Der Khan likes this.
  14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    How do I save this? Just had my first little go and when I went to exit it just forfeit my whole game. Do I just close the app rather than try to exit to menu?

Or can’t you save it and have to do a whole run each time you play?

15. Der Khan

Der Khan Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Thanks for your interest! The issue of persistent progression versus starting with a "clean slate" is a tough one. When I started working on the game I had three goals; 1) I wanted the game to respect player's time (Im a Dad with a fulltime job and two kids! ) 2) I really wanted the player to feel rewarded for understanding the game system 3) I wanted to make something I could enjoy playing over and over throughout development. I initially began building the game intending to have a big ramp of persistent content, but I quickly discovered that making a game that is all of the above and persistent is *really* difficult! I wanted each upgrade to feel meaningful and not having them be persistent meant I could really expand the players power with each upgrade. Lord Gek hit the nail on the head about balancing - if u are constantly upgrading ur character with meaningful upgrades, the rest of the game would have to scale as well and quickly the game is full of content that is very hard to balance. My hope is that when most runs end, you will feel like you have leveled up ur skillset rather than earning permanent upgrades.

That said, u do unlock characters and more crazy powers and enemies get added to the game as you play, so there is some form of permanent unlocking going on.

I know having no permanency between attempts can really turn some people off, so I’m very curious to know what u think! We have lots of ideas for permanent progression games for our next game and ur take on Starbeard will help inform our decisions!

ste86uk likes this.
  16. Jolly Good Games

Jul 30, 2019
    Female
    London
    It saves automatically! It saves after every turn you take both to the device(app) and to your game center if you have internet connection.

ste86uk likes this.
  17. Jolly Good Games

Jul 30, 2019
    Female
    London
    Hiya, yeah this only happens when your internet connection is a bit dodgy. We're sorting a time out for the next patch which won't be much longer now. In the meantime, either make sure you have awesome internet or boot the game in airplane mode to avoid this. You can always switch airplane mode off when you have decent connection again!

Thanks for the bug report :)

18. Jolly Good Games

Jul 30, 2019
    Female
    London
    See you on the leaderboard, but lord gek is killing it...

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  20. Der Khan

Der Khan Member

Aug 6, 2019
    Hey All! We have a new update out. Lots of fixes and a bit of balancing. Let us know your favourite and least favourite characters! We are in the middle of a balancing pass and your input would be hugely appreciated!