Universal Starbase Orion - (by Chimera Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

After Apple problems sorted out (they charged my account 5 times and still no download)... finally got it downloaded...

and .... I really should have... I forgot how addictive these games are... and this one is pretty addictive... i.e. good...!!!

having lots of fun learning the ropes.. making mistakes and learning from them... great fun...

Found a couple of bugs (including occasional crashes) but the only biggy seems to be when you invade multiple systems (i.e. multiple battles) at the same turn. I could only access one of the battles (to set orders) no matter where I selected (both systems battles seem to point to the same battle). Same for the after battle review. quite annoying, so I am trying not to schedule battles for the same turn if possible...

overall a great 4x game with just enough depth to be fun but no so much as to get too much.

Well done to the developer!

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #82 Ayjona, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    While it seems that the devs of Chimera visit this thread frequently, my guess is that the best chance for bug reports and feature requests to be heard is to visit the official forums, and post in The Galactic Council.

Known issues:
    It will never plague us again ;)

3. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    This is definitely the case. There are a good 4-5 separate forums out there with long SO threads, so putting it right under my nose is the best way to get it seen.

We're hard at work on v1.0.3. Here some screenshots from the next version, fixing the text issues that have been reported.

Attached Files:

4. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Played MOO years ago and glad to have something similar on my iPad! Just starting out so I don't have a grasp on the game yet. I have 2 planets that don't have enough food (-1 every turn) - what the fastest way to increase food?

5. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Drag some of your workers or scientists over and make them farmers.

If you tap on the summary lines in the planet view, it will display how the production output was calculated ( for example, it might say +18 From Farmers (+2 each), and -2 Morale Adjustment ).

6. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    is there any gameplay video?

7. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    haha lost my entire fleet to an amoeba early on.

Gave me nostalgic chills ;)

Kinda wish the game didn't 'spoil' the outcome of a combat encounter though. An option to for a more 'vague' notification would be cool.

8. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    After examination, this particular bug seems to only affect when trying to view a battle from the Battle button when viewing a system. If you tap on the line directly in the sit rep report it takes you to the correct battle.

9. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    I do wish some of the UI things were more snappy. There is a noticeable pause while going into planet view mode, which gets tedious for a game where you need to visit those fairly often ;P

Hope this gets better in future updates. Still really enjoying it though ;)

10. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    what determines what planets my ships can fly to..? Why is it that some planets that look four squares away can't be travelled to, yet I can fly all the way across the grid to other planets with the same ship?

11. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Your empire's best fuel cell technology determines the base distance all ships can travel.

If a ship is equipped with Additional Fuel Reserves, they get to travel even farther.

The map is isometric, which has the affect that when traveling left/right they can appear to be going farther than traveling up/down.

Finally, the grid on the map represents the distance your empire can scan (ie, detect enemy fleets); it does not represent the distance you can travel (some have found this confusing).

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Perhaps selecting a ship/fleet can display their maximum travel range with an overlay.

By the way, did you ever consider a rotatable 3D map, with planets distributed along all axes, Frontier: Elite II-style? I'm mostly just curious, as I am not expecting such a system to be integrated into Starbase Orion this time around ;) But perhaps for that distant but hopefully inevitable sequel...

13. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Overall I felt that true 3D star maps, while pretty, quickly become a hairball mess which is then followed by user frustration trying to navigate them. And given that SO's mantra was to preserve the old school feel, I decided go with the 2D map and spend the time extra time on other areas of the game.

14. juan13

juan13 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    @KittyMac: Could you put the tutorial in your site?

15. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Definitely. We're actively working on two fronts; beefing up the in game help pages with more content for v1.0.3, and posting a more comprehensive guide on SO's forums.

I imagine both to be available within a weeks time.

16. Oreniishi

Oreniishi Active Member

Oct 12, 2011
    I've noticed another bug when you have max population you don't need any of your population farming and the it still says +0 so population never goes down? Even though my food level is red.

Other than that really enjoying the games. Oh one minor bug double tapping on save position crashes game :) I'm liking the new screenshot with full info kitty:)

17. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Thanks! Found it and fixed it for v1.0.3.

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #98 eev, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
    so i assume this game is only for hardcore strategy players because there is no normal trailer or gameplay video?

19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    KittyMac, is it possible to change the push notifications for multiplayer games so that selecting a push in the notification center brings us directly into the actual match, instead of bringing us to the multiplayer menu, and forcing us to click past the GameCenter screen every time we want to do our turn? (This is how most asynchronous games work, placing the user directly into the game in question when a turn notification is chosen.)

Or is this a limitation of the new GameCenter asynchronous engine? If so, I sincerely hope as few developers as possible use it :) It would be painful to have to go through two different screens for every turn we want to perform when we have 20 different matches in 10 different asynchronous games running :)

20. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    #100 KittyMac, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    We will not be able to get an official gameplay video out in the immediate future.

I know there are a couple of in-depth reviews in the works. I think one will be available on SpaceSector in the next day or two.