Universal Starbase Annex (by Chimera Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    that may be part of my issue. i don't want to bother you any more so i think i'm just going to start the tutorial and do things trial and error until i see the patterns. thanks my friend for all your advice!

2. CaptLudd

CaptLudd Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    In my first game against an AI the opponent captured one of my stars which had a diplomat rated 7 with one card rated a 4! How did that work? Was it because it was a star hex, or because it was a diplomat or what? Also i still have not seen the upgrade optios arise even though i have had multiple times when i had 2 eligible cards on the same friendly hex. The tutorial is non exixtent and the rules cryptic to say the least. Please help, thank you

3. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    A 4 alone would not be able to capture a 7. Did the opponent perhaps have more cards adjacent to your 7? For instance, if there was a 4 and a 7 next to your 7, your opponent could have attacked with both of them (the 4 + 7), which would result in them capturing the two 7's and then capturing your space with the left over 4.

Card upgrades are handled by three simple rules:

1) Only cards of value 5 and less can be combined in an upgrade. So a 2+3, a 4+1, a 5+5. But not a 6+1, or a 7+2.

2) If the cards are the exact same value, then they can be upgraded on any space on the board, AFTER the movement phase ends. So, a 2+2 can become a 4 when they stacked together on any space on the board.

3) If the cards are of different values, then they can only be upgraded when stacked on a star space. So, a 3+1 which end their move stacked on a star can be upgraded to a 4. Or a 5+2 can become a 7.

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    I really like the game so far ... nevertheless: The tutorial could really be better!

It is hard to learn it from the tutorial ... but after learning the rules it is really good ... ;)

5. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    and as you can tell from all my questions, i agree! :D

@KittyMac - perhaps you can take some or most of your rule clarifications that i asked about and add them to the game rulebook. even the 'expanded' upgrade rules you just gave CaptLudd.

6. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't know if its just me or not but i'm having a really hard time getting in and out of the menus. For example, a lot of things I think I can touch does not respond for me most times. I know this sounds really dumb but I've clicked on the "?" icon from the main menu and couldn't figure out how to go back because nothing I touched responded. I still don't know how I got back to start the tutorial but the same thing was happening there too.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

Also, +1 for better tutorial instructions but from the limited stuff i've seen, this could be a cool game. Help!

7. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #47 Mack the Knife, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    @KittyMac,

I'm pretty sure Upgrade is not working as you describe. I had just moved a 2 card and a second 2 card into a space sector (not a star sector) and no upgrade happened. So I left them sitting there and after the next Move, still nothing. I then moved them both into a star sector and nothing. Either I am missing something glaringly obvious or something is broken. Can you check? Thanks...

---wait a minute, I just thought of something. I didn't have a 4 in my hand, that's why it didn't upgrade, right? I'll bet that's it yet in all the explanations of upgrade never was it mentioned that 'you can upgrade 2+2 as long as you have a 4 in your hand'. Am I right?

8. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    That's correct, my apologies. You can only upgrade to cards which exist in your hand.

Here is an example of how it works:

9. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #49 Mack the Knife, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    thanks... it makes sense now but initially i thought any 2 could combine. i think i've got the gist of the game now but i'll tell ya, even the easy AI is giving me trouble. :eek:

Update -> my bad
    i just went thru the tutorial again and the text for the Upgrade does mention matching a card in your hand.[​IMG]

10. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    KittyMac,

The first AI is Easy, the second is Normal, and I presume the third is Hard. What? There are 15 more beyond Hard!!? In most games I rarely beat Hard, am I doomed?

11. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    AI's 3 - 11 are labelled "Normal", then there's three "Hard" and four "Very Hard".

My apologies, I make challenging games. At least this one the app description said "the challenge is high" :D

12. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    that's good news. hopefully if i can make it to 11 i should be able to finish! thanks

13. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    The issues I was seeing were iOS8 related and not due to this game. That said, I've spent some time playing a few rounds and so far, having a really good time. I definitely could have used a little more hand holding during the tutorial and glad I stuck with it.

14. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    After a long time I started the game ... and I am missing ALL games texts! On both of mine iDevices I have absolute no game texts anymore ... iPhone 6+ and iPad Air, both with 8.1.3 .... I cannot imagine that I am the only one with that problem!

15. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Oh my, look at that! Thanks for the report, will look into what's up.

16. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Thanks! Just start a game and you will see that all text boxes are empty! I hope you can fix that!

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    No update, no reaction ... well, in between I tried the game on several other iPads and iPhones but it seems it does not run correct with the latest iOS ... it seems the game is dead ... :(

18. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    #58 Mythbuster, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    xxxx

19. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Update to Starbase Annex went live today, should fix the text rendering issue.

20. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Thank you! That is fixed ... but ... has anybody any other game sound than music? Even with the setting Master volume and Effect volume loud ... there is absolute nothing ... :confused: