Universal Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (by LucasArts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 15, 2013.

1. destruya

destruya Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm using the Android client, where all we have to do is go into the app settings window and select the app to force-kill and clear its cache.

2. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I haven't opened TDS for a week now, I think my addiction is finally broken and I can delete it.

3. destruya

Oct 18, 2012
    I'm honestly just playing until I hit 100 million credits, then I'll just wait for word there are new (non-residential) levels.

4. Kemaleon

Kemaleon Member

Jun 26, 2013
    I'm just throwing Bux at salvage droids now, other than a couple of VIP's I've had nothing good so far. Only stock for the Imperial level assignments we don't get anymore.

Should give up really but haven't found anything else I like playing yet, any recommendations?

5. Errk!

Errk! Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    TDS got me into Tiny Tower. Lots of things about the gameplay are better in Tiny Tower.

6. lisianne

lisianne Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Somewhere else
    Tiny Tower won Apple's Game of the Year the year it came out. It was fun, whimsical, well-constructed, updated with new features (some suggested by users) many times, backed up from the get-go, & had excellent support from its developers. Its rules were fair & the game was balanced so whoever was impatient COULD speed things up spending real money. No one was targeted by blatant money-grabbing tactics à la TDS. Whatever bugs it had were minor, taken seriously, & quickly addressed.

Most critically, IMO, it didn't change the rules in mid-game & didn't make older devices obsolete with a single update. <--great way to create a loyal following...NOT!

If I were looking for a how-to guide for perverting the concept of "Freemium" by grossly requiring IAPs, & tarnishing one's name brand, I'd look no further than Disney's TDS.

Glad you're enjoying Tiny Tower. It gave many of us months & months of fun & encouraged me to voluntarily support the devs by buying bux.

7. StevO-J

StevO-J Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2013
    The Netherlands
    This. Well said, I really could not have said it better myself.

8. destruya

Oct 18, 2012
    #1348 destruya, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    Once again, the gacha mechanic saw fit to give me another residential level (Wookie Arms). 77 vacancies now. -_-

9. Errk!

Errk! Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Completely agreed. Well said.

10. thebassman

thebassman Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I just hit 100 levels, and my Imperial Missions have stopped appearing - is that when everyone else's dropped off, too?

11. destruya

Oct 18, 2012
    It's been busted for everyone for quite some time. People who were saying they still had missions have since said that they've dried up for them.

I'm honestly beginning to think the last glut of levels they dumped out are the last buildable ones we're going to be getting for a long, long time. That 'new levels every Monday' claim lasted a week. They're more fixated on that newer Star Wars game now, most likely.

12. thebassman

thebassman Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Yeah, I was the one who had missions for quite a while. But as soon as I built my 100th level, that's when they stopped for me...

13. mnemo

mnemo Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Germany
    As I suspected earlier, it really looks like the levels were the final blowout and the game has been abandoned by Disney Mobile after their layoffs, at least for the moment. There has been no data update for quite some time, it's still reported as 1.4.0.6 in the Help menu.

14. lisianne

lisianne Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Somewhere else
    It isn't clear to me whether the extra levels represented the final "blow out" or a miscalculation. That would be pretty soon to abandon a game! My thought was they were too lazy or inept to fix the game for "older devices." I say "inept" because there were so many examples of this: not having enough apartments (until the end when there were too many!), poorly coding or planning changes in the Imperial level so that at one point a single item cost 33,000 (!!) coins, not anticipating the effect that a flood of cheap, new levels would have on the game.

IMO, if Disney could have fixed the game, it would have. Their only out at this point, if they care about the game at all, is to rewrite it from the ground up, testing it all the way. Risky for current players.

Meanwhile, looks like NB is planning a sequel to Tiny Tower. Both excited, concerned, & sad. Excited because it should be fun. Concerned that NB might take some ideas from TDS, the IAP-arm-twisting type which would ruin it. And sad that I already have a bad taste in my mouth from TDS plus, like it or not, I'd compare it to TT &, to the extent it emulated TDS' monetizing schemes, I anticipate being disappointed.

Please, NB, prove me wrong!

15. mnemo

mnemo Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Germany
    lisianne,
    you're not taking the reported layoffs at Disney Mobile into account. If the game didn't return the investments by in-app-purchases, there's no good reason to assign staff to the project. There's been no data updates for weeks (previously the data version was updated every few days), the release of new levels was totally random because the number of residential and other retail levels just don't fit together and the decoration event was probably planned weeks ahead and was handled automatically by the game engine. Also, the huge bugs in the game (like the startup bug with Internet connection) were not fixed, there's been no new app version for weeks, too. No good signs at all, in my opinion.

mnemo

16. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    #1356 Lorena, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    The screens of the new Tiny Tower looks really good!

17. Errk!

Errk! Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Can anyone post a link to the Tiny Tower 2 screens or news?

18. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Some screens from @eeen

Attached Files:

19. Lorena

Lorena Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Other

Attached Files:

20. H2O2

H2O2 Member

Feb 17, 2014
    Where did you guys see those screen shots? I can't find any info about it at all.