Universal Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (by LucasArts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 15, 2013.

1. rewyan

rewyan Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Through NimbleBit servers. I guess this'll be the same, but not sure since Disney is involved.

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The way I understand it, they closed the production part of LucasArts - as in, they won't be making any more games themselves, but they will still license the IP for other studios to make any future games.

As for the game itself, I think this is what Tiny Tower would've been like if Nimblebit balanced their games towards profits instead of what they do for their own games. It's got the charm of Tiny Tower, but the Bux are coming at a snail's pace. There are some nice additions here and there and the game part itself is still as good as Tiny Tower, but I hope the Bux rate is nudged up slightly before the final release.

3. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    #43 Saucepolicy, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    As a child of the 70's, it made perfect sense to me... :D

[​IMG]

Also, on the subject of fan service, I noticed that there's a controller for the Atari Star Wars arcade game at the bottom of the options menu.

4. Battlefront II would be perfectly fine for me

5. DeadGuy427

DeadGuy427 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    US Army Infantry
    Lacey, WA
    I would do terrible things for a Battlefront port...as far as Tiny Death Star goes, I love the look and little nods to the movies, but it feels so different from their other games when it comes to bux and random VIPs. I ran the elevator for about 30 minutes straight and didn't have a single VIP, no looking for someone to earn bux...the only time I have received one is for building a new floor. Even the mission from the emperor is impossible to complete because no one is trying to find a citizen...I am holding out hope that Nimblebit fixes this up to their usual standards.

6. Cozmic0

Cozmic0 Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Actually it's called Imperial Bux :p

You get 1 bux for assigning 1 dream job.

7. Cozmic0

Cozmic0 Member

Jun 25, 2012
    #47 Cozmic0, Oct 16, 2013
    Hey I still think that this game is not in the same league as those other money-sucking F2P 'game' or even their endless gameloft clone.

Sure the bux earning rate is slower, but still there is nothing that you cannot do without spending a bux, even moving and upgrading levels got a VIP that can do that. Plus you can still earn bux albeit slower than previous Nimblebit games.

One more observation:
    Upgrading a floor increase the amount of stocks available but not the restocking timer. Not sure if the increased stock is as much as the floor upgrade in TT though.

8. brainticket

brainticket Active Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    #48 brainticket, Oct 16, 2013
    Bug

I don't know if nimblebit are watching this. I think I have found a bug. I am on the "Get Upgraded" mission which says "Upgrade levels 1 times, and feel the power surge within!". When I use an upgrade VIP he manages to upgrade a level successfully but I am not given credit for the mission. I haven't tried spending bux to upgrade yet - I am jealously saving these for an elevator upgrade.

Edit: Another mission issue. I was on a mission that required me to have a shop with all employees with skill 9. I already had a shop like this but I didn't get mission credit until I made one employee unemployed and then re-employed him again in that shop.

Edit 2: I got mission credit for the first issue if I upgraded using bux.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Turns out you can occasionally get a Bux reward for fully stocking a floor. It's rarer than a buying frenzy. I got it for stocking 2/2 products on an incomplete floor with a person missing, too.

10. Xytal

Xytal New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    OMG, Jedi Power Battles... Played that so much as a kid. I would buy that day one, hands down. That, and Jedi Knight. God, I put so much time into JK as a kid.

11. wedge598

wedge598 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    This is a great idea. I'll give them a pass though as they obviously wanted to work off their existing Tiny Tower model. I guess you just have to imagine that you are only looking at the center shaft and that the shops extend out beyond the visible area of the screen.

It is too bad that they didn't take this one back to the drawing board and work up a ring model link you suggested though. I think Disney was just looking to cash in on a quick reskin like they did with Angry birds various reskins of the Where's my Water games.

12. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Hi guys, I'm stuck in a quest... Wondering if you guys we're able to complete it. It says I should "Upgrade the levels 1 times and feel the power surge within!".

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Spend 3 Bux to upgrade any store level.

14. brainticket

brainticket Active Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    Yeah it doesn't work using the VIP. You will need to spend bux.

15. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    It works fine on iPod touch 4, make an Aussie acct, d/l ipa to iTunes on pc, use ifunbox to install and it bypasses all the requirements crap, since the app and device is signed under same acct, you may not have to be jail broken for this to work, but that's just a guess, I'm using jail broken 6.1.2

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Or you make an Australian account and just download it as you would any other game?

17. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    You can't because I tried on my iPod4g and it says incompatible needs a digital compass. My daughter is most upset that she can't play it on her iPod too.

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh, I do apologize. I missed the part about it specifically referring to working on an iPod and thought that was a long workaround to get the game from the store of a different country. My mistake.

19. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Hmm I'm not impressed that they block ipod4 for non technical reasons, I've been playing this on my iPod4 for several hours without ANY problems, conspiracy theories ahoy. I hope they address this with the worldwide release. I would be interested to hear who and what motivates developers to block last gen devices from running apps that are still capable of working on these older devices.BTW this isn't an angry gamer nerd rant, I have an iPad mini as well, I'm just interested in the business side of apple and the AppStore

20. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Can you destroy planets?