Universal Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (by LucasArts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Oct 15, 2013.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Harsh, but the devs are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Apple really need to provide a better way for developers to indicate compatible devices.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You have an odd definition of "slumming."

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'm guessing his point is there's a perceived lack of originality. Pocket Trains = Pocket Planes; Tiny Death Star = Tiny Towers; Nimble Quest = Call of Snakes.

I haven't played Tiny Death Star, so time will tell, but it does look like a reskin (and also rather vertical for a death star).

4. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Yeah, Apple really needs to add a model no white list or black list to their SDK.

On the subject of things that Apple really should do, will Apple ever figure out a way to make game app data and game save data independent of one another. Sometimes I would like to remove a 2GB game from my device without losing my months and months of save data. Why can't we have a save data manager like every single console on the market?

5. wekwek

wekwek Active Member

Dec 13, 2012
    On the spot with your observations. They need to make earning bux easier, at least same rate as Tiny Tower. Or else I may not finish this game. Seems impossible to get the elevators without inapp purchase for bux.

6. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I believe what you said is EXACTLY their intent. They don't WANT you to finish this game. They want it to become a time and money suck that you never leave.

7. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    IMO It feels exactly like tiny tower only reskinned with Star Wars theme, a bit like angry birds, so not really a bad thing.
    I spent far to long playing the original tiny tower and then broke the habit so I think it's probably for the best that I leave this alone right now before I takes over my life.
    It's really a very good game but *deleted for my own sanity.

8. Biggavelli

Biggavelli Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Boston,MA
    I still play Tiny Tower ( almost daily ) so this is must :D

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Its the way the dark side gits ya.

10. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    The level of fan service in this game is amazing. The exhaustive amount of characters and species (along with bios that can be browsed in the album), the location references, the names, the animations, the droid beeps and soundtrack make this a mini slice of Star Wars pulp to carry in your pocket.

I never got into TT but I'm aware that this is the same format. While I'm sure the gameplay mechanics are mirrored to TT calling it a reskin feels harsh. This isn't just a fresh coat of paint. Star Wars references permeate very facet of TDS.

As a game it's rock solid. As a tribute to Star Wars it's incredible

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #31 awp69, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    I never even had a remote interest in Tiny Towers, but as a SW fan, I'll probably check this out.

On a side note, I thought LucasArts closed its doors before Disney even bought out all things Lucas?

My hope is that this is just the door opening for real Star Wars games on iOS. Give me some Rogue Squadron style games baby!

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well, for one, there's KOTOR already.

But of course, we want more.

I'd instabuy ports of Force Unleashed (even if it's just the watered down PSP version which i still greatly enjoyed), Jedi Power Battles, and the Star Wars Lego titles. Of course, i do want KOTOR2 as well.;)

Oh man... The possibility of Jedi Academy (1 and 2) ported into iOS makes me hungry, even if it's just the single player story mode.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #33 VirtualBoyFreak, Oct 15, 2013
    After seeing the 38-min video, I've noticed you're only granted 1 bux when building a new floor, and I've read somewhere that you also get a bux when assigning 3 dream jobs to a business, right? If that's the case, this game will be unbeatable without spending real money on Starbux... (Did Starbuck's pay something in this game, btw? :p).

The Force Unleashed was available a long time ago on iOS. It had nothing to do with its console counterpart, but it was available. I had it on N-Gage and I enjoyed it a lot at the time.

Check this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFquV4uvc3Y&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwFquV4uvc3Y

14. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Definately could go for Jedi Academy/Jedi Knight!

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Isnt it odd that the Death Star is totally vertical? Or am i missing something here?

When will this hit worldwide?

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I guess the part that's being used for commercial purposes is a vertical column.

17. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I too dislike the vertical design of the Death Star. In my opinion, they should have added new shops in ring sections like this:

[​IMG]

and give a bonus every time you complete a ring. Each ring would take more and more stores to complete as well. Also, it would actually feel like you were expanding the Death Star instead of just building a column of shops straight through the middle of it.

18. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    The ring idea is pure genius, and wouldve been more appropriate for Death Star expansion. It doesnt have to expand too fast, like how the town still isnt too big even after weeks or months of playing Pixel People.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #39 Exact-Psience, Oct 15, 2013
    You talking about the sort of on-rails game? I remember that as one of my first purchases on the appstore, but never really enjoyed it.

I want the 3D action game Force Unleashed.

EDIT: Watched the video. Yep, that's the one. It's horribad, having played the PSP version.

20. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Force Unleashed was probably the best game for N-gage to be honest ( I had it also ).

Star Wars Battlefront with multiplayer is only thing SW I need currently , apart from KOTOR that is already out.