iPad Star wars price drop!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by SLDROFHLA, Oct 28, 2008.

1. SLDROFHLA

SLDROFHLA Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    wonder why? it's not temporary, I checked. is it not doing well?

2. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Just one cause: "Worst game ever"

3. SLDROFHLA

Oct 23, 2008
    I don't have it but i heard its bad

De Blob just dropped: that is the worst game ever on my touch

4. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Still not interested. It sounds like Don Bluth's Dragon's Lair with its pre-set moves etc. (mind you I remember Dragon's Lair with fondness as it was something completely new at the time.)

5. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I was put off buying this as a lot of people reported very short play-length, lack of variety and not really worth £6. I don't reckon it's worth £5, although the gameplay mechanic looks nice. :)

6. I'm not interested either. It looks boring as hell.

7. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Still not enough of a drop for me to buy it...

8. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    As mentioned, De Blob is down as well. I'm considering picking it up because it's getting a lot of good reviews on sites and in the app store. On the other hand, I highly value the opinions of TouchArcade forum members so I'll first look around a bit to see what fellow forum members thought about De Blob.

9. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #9 NotYou, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    It's pretty lame. Take a look at the Wii version and you'll see how horribly toned down this version is. They pretty much turned it into a crappy cell phone game with touch control.

Seriously, the whole game involves running into walls. That's pretty much it, with slight variation here and there. You run around and bump into walls. I just gave away the whole strategy element.

10. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah some of the big companies are really stupid... They're making typical cell phone quality games because they think it's a typical cell phone

11. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I hear you, and it's reactions like this that prevented me from picking it up right away. I just wonder why so many on-site reviews are so positive then! I guess one would to pick this game up because of the original concept only.

12. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Sr. Web Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    I really enjoyed the Star Wars: TFU game for the iPhone. The gameplay is more or less the same, with new jedi powers each level, but the genius of the game are the graphics. All hand-drawn, some with animation. The game looks really great, and the story isn't too bad either.

I would say it's worth playing through once.

13. SLDROFHLA

Oct 23, 2008
    do not get de blob! it is incredibly boring, you just run into walls, no gameplay, story, replayability, it is HORRIBLE! i don't know why people would rate this highly:confused:

14. thom-22

thom-22 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    San Diego
    Because most of the reviewing sites are taking the games for what they are, eg. are they fun or not (and note that fun is always a matter of opinion), whereas the negative comments here are often based on the games not being like their PC/console counterparts. Personally, I think for the time being it's appropriate to look at iPhone games for what they are. I mean, what do you expect for $10 or less? De Blob for Wii is $50! Duh, of course the iPhone version isn't anything like the Wii version. Same with TFU.

That being said, the iPhone versions of De Blob and TFU are not exactly barrels of fun, in my opinion. I bought both at full $10 price and don't regret the purchases -- I knew what I was getting, I wasn't expecting anything more than mobile-device games. But I wouldn't recommend either without significant price drops. The game mechanic in TFU is actually kind of interesting, and it might have been hailed and raved about were it not associated with a recently released major-franchise console game (which, ironically, didn't get top-notch reviews itself ;)). Plus it would seem more worthy if it was longer and didn't have so many loading screens and needlessly prolonged dialogs.

15. SLDROFHLA

Oct 23, 2008
    I know, but De Blob is just bumping into walls, and the description played it WAY up, like there was real gameplay. Annoying!

16. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Spot on. I used to pay $6 minimum if i wanted a crappy mobile game for my nokia - this is amazing what you can get for that price now. I'm buying everything while its cheap ;)

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    re de blob:

With all due respects, just because most members here don't like the game doesn't mean it's not any good, because everyone has a different taste. For example, I'd never enjoy puzzle game, no matter how good they are, so Loopy Lab and Pathways which got favourable review are out of my shopping list.

Some like pasta, some like sushi. Some like de blob, some don't, so it depends on you. Of course, there are always the absolute rubbish - those DSEffects games :p

18. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    My only advice is Do not, i repeat DO NOT buy either Star Wars or DeBlob both are awful games complete waste of 15 bucks

19. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I enjoyed Star Wars. The music and storyline are pretty good, in line with the movie series. Yes, the gameplay is abit repetitive in that you're drawing symbols like in Harry Potter on NDS to invoke force powers, but the further you go the more powers you learn and have to pick appropriately. Also as you progress, you have even less time to react to the symbols (the chase by AT-ST walkers with their rapid fire was really fun!).
    Even though I don't play it as much nowadays, I haven't regretted paying the full US$10 for this.

20. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08RZukDaPvM

Holy s**t you're right! What were they thinking?