Universal Star Wars: KOTOR II (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Selling a years old game which was a rushed, buggy and incomplete mess and apparently still is in that state is a total cash grab in my opinion. The usual AppStore consumer is neither the average TA reader nor someone who is searching the internet for a mod which completes the game let alone is even aware of the existence of such mod or that mods are supported. All they get is a incomplete mess. Sorry.

edit: I really love KOTOR but I just can’t support this decision.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    With all due respect, the average App Store consumer is also not going to stumble on KOTOR/KOTOR II (especially at their price-points) and think "Hey, this'd be cool to try". Despite the Star Wars IP (and the fact that prior to Jedi: Fallen Order, have been considered the best Star Wars games ever), these games are extremely niche and not casual-gamer-friendly. Folks who are picking these games up know exactly what they're getting into.

Thing is...even with its bugs and being a rushed, incomplete mess, the original mod-less KOTOR II has always been part of "Which KOTOR game is better?" arguments. What you're getting here straight from the App Store IS KOTOR II, for better or for worse, and I'd imagine the average App Store consumer who does buy this without doing their research is both oblivious to and doesn't care for the problems with the untouched version of the game. Aspyr are selling the same game they sell on PC and are not being disingenuous about anything...there's just a world of possibilities for those in the know. Icing on the cake/cherry on top, if you will.

Also, it really sucks seeing a publisher as revered as Aspyr getting fingers pointed at them for apparently releasing a "cash grab". Please watch that video Jared linked to in one of his front-page articles. They're more than largely responsible for both KOTOR II and TSLRCM still being supported in this day and age on PC, and it took them half a decade to bring this over from PC to mobile only after seeing if there was interest in this port becoming a thing!

subgenius and skoptic like this.
  3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It’s also good to keep in mind that the unmodded KOTOR II in its “rushed, buggy and incomplete mess” state still has an 85 Metacritic rating (and an 8.5 user rating to boot). In other words, most people consider a good game that’s worth playing, even if it has issues — in fact, that’s almost the name of a Gamesradar article that came out a few years ago.

If anything, I am impressed that Aspyr invested the resources to bring the complete, mod’able game to mobile.

subgenius and metalcasket like this.
  4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's not just good. ;) Like I said above, folks to this day will still argue that the unmoddable version is a better game than KOTOR (1).

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    From what I’ve seen, there’s a bit of New Hope vs ESB going on. Personally, I’m firmly in the ESB camp :).

metalcasket likes this.
  6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'll take Rise of th...okay, okay, just messing. :p I bounce around all 3 of the original trilogy depending on the weather, probably.

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    A tip for those that may not know if you already bought KOTOR1 then you can get this game for $10! Just go to the bundle version that has both and you will see it’s $10

squarezero likes this.
  8. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Thanks for sharing this tip. I tried it a couple of days ago in the US App Store and got $16 to complete my bundle. Same today. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to get the same discount. I have noticed that App Store sales sometimes affect bundle pricing, however. KOTOR I may be discounted for the holidays, in which case the $10 “complete my bundle“ price point may return once the sale has ended.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    This usually is the case if you've gotten games that are part of bundles at a discount. Do you have your KOTOR I receipt anywhere to make sure?

10. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    I had not considered that possibility. Purchased KOTOR I at a discount in 2014. That said, I’ve gotten a couple of the Final Fantasy titles on sale and still get the option to add FFVI: The After Years at a steep discount by completing the bundle when there aren’t any sales on other included FF titles. I plan to edit this response (after the sale has ended) if the lower price becomes available to me.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, this whole Complete My Bundle thing can be very iffy. I'm guessing you've probably paid full for some of the other FF titles. KOTOR also appears to be full price right now (having just reverted back on the 16th of December), so absolutely no clue in that regard!

12. downgrad3r

Jul 1, 2016
    #72 downgrad3r, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    True. I’m sure we’re not alone in wishing for a bit more clarity and consistency from the App Store on this matter and others. By the way, I did pay full price for FF III.

metalcasket likes this.
  13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Absolutely. I mean, regardless of anything, it makes no sense at all that an app would cost more in a bundle when it's available bundle-less at its correct price.

downgrad3r likes this.
  14. Scott Schultz

Scott Schultz New Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Male
    Hi, I downloaded KOTOR 2 Lords of Sith for my iPad. I couldn’t spot/nor app show secret compartments in both starboard dorm and area where you find Handmaiden on Ebon Hawk even after I left Peragus mining station and after orginal owner of the ship mention it on Nat Shaddaa. Am I missing something or is this a bug? Thank you for your time to read and answer it.

15. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    When I launch the app the first time it ask me for notifications(that happen with all the apps) and access to Bluetooth (KOTOR 2 want access to Bluetooth) but why? For pair a controller? Have you got same request?

16. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes and just answer ‘No’?

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just a heads up for folks using TSLRCM...keep an eye on this page, okay?

https://deadlystream.com/files/file/1801-mobile-restored-content-mod-mtslrcm/?changelog=0

The incredible zybl2 is still working on this mobile version. To keep your mobile mod updated, you'll need to download, extract, and move everything just like you did the first time. Oh, and don't forget to clear out your dlc folder before doing so. ;)

Also, for anyone who undermine's the importance of Aspyr in this whole thing, please check out this video I just came across:

torikul likes this.
  18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Thanks for the heads up!

metalcasket likes this.
  19. torikul

torikul Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2016
    Male
    Nice game engaging content!

20. allsopj84

allsopj84 Active Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Male
    I don’t have access to a PC to apply the mod, is the game still worth playing?