Universal Star Wars: Commander - (by LucasArts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jun 25, 2014.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I like both. But those old classics are still brilliant, thats why games such as Baldurs Gate/Sonic and others are still very popular on iOS.

Yeah my phones not a console but people love playing Gameboy/MAME and other games on them. Some ports are easy to do, its a shame when these old games gather dust.

2. Yeah i know about the old classic star wars are very good. But iOS has the next potential Star Wars fans of Rebels and episode VII in range. Not the old ones. So, if you want some old games there are PC/Console for that. Same for emulator.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah but the issue is i cant take my PC/console to the bus stop, train or sat waiting for a customer at their office.

You'll be the same in 20 years time when you have a phone and youre dying to play some old classic iOS games on your new phone in the year 2030 !

Whats frustrating is i want to play these games 'legally' but i cant, yeah i can play some star wars games via an emulator. On Android you can play Dark Forces but you cant on iOS. These old classics are just dying which is a shame. It would be the same if you couldnt play records anymore and they refuse to make a cd format of them. Frustrating

4. I understand your reaction. It's even more difficult with Star Wars games because THQ is down, and LucasArts is a Disney brand...
    For the other old games, we can expect to see more of them on the appstore in the next few years.

5. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, I'm tired of these timer/energy games full of IAP. They could have made a mobile version or port of Star Wars Empire At War, and that would have been so much more enjoyable for me. I had hoped this would be quite a bit better. But after I finished a mission with almost all my troops still alive and I didn't get any of them back, I deleted this. With timers and the looming knowledge someone out there is going to destroy my stuff and steal from me, and the addition of losing troops with every mission, is all too much for me to even be able to enjoy one of my favorite IPs.

But this is coming from someone who hasn't been raised on this kind of Clash of Clans type mobile gaming. I prefer single player campaigns where I can play when I want, like KOTOR. Still don't know why they haven't made a new game with Episode 4-6 in the style of KOTOR. Maybe port the Rogue Squadron games.

6. They can't steal from you in online...you should play further before saying crap...

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    How does that work though ? Even though someone attacks you what happens, do you not lose any coins/gems despite the other person gaining them ? Is it that just your rep score goes down ?

I do agree with the poster though about your troops, as i said earlier why do i lose troops if theyre not killed ? Yes its a way to stop making a huge army and you have to be selective with your resources but i still think its just a way to get more coins from people

8. God sake, don't you have seen that online mode it's just to gain medals and money/ressources ? You CAN'T loose money/ressources from other plays, online mode and solo mode are different. When you lost your turrets, they will repair themselves and quickly. That's all.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #109 Ayjona, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Star Wars: Commander seems like one of the best of its kind. And you know, in spite of being a fan of hardcore strategy titles, I think I could get into a freemium social city builder.

If they only added a layer of skill-based, interactive combat.

I'd be all over, possibly in a subconsciously sexual fashion, a freemium city builder with RTS battles (Touch Dimensions, take note, if you ever feel tempted to make a freemium cash grab :) ). Age of Empires Online demonstrated just how *extremely* fun (if not profitable at all, at least not at those premium content prices) an MMO-RTS can be, and how the persistent city building aspect can play into the battles in a variety of relevant ways.

I'd probably be equally enthusiastic for a city playground sim with in-depth turn-based battles (skirmishes a la Ravenmark Mercenaries).

Hell, slap decent CCG battle mechanics (where decent equates at least Solforge/Shadow Era levels of complexity, not Rage of Blehamuth ;) ) on top of Farm Mafia Call of Star Wars Ville to simulate battles, and I'd probably goad and coerce and trick myself into playing that for a painful while.

As long as the city building aspects play into combat sequences in a meaningful fashion (again Age of Empires Online did this with great success, variety and depth), the actual city sim-ing itself gains so much additional purpose, context and sense of achievement. This is evident even in Empires of Sand (see below), where the stuff you do in your city only have slight effects on battles, beyond capping tower upgrades in combat.

To this day, the only freemium city builders to have kept my interest beyond the intial playtest are Battle Nation (thanks to a combination of good writing, amusing comedy, general polish, and at least slightly interactive combat) and Empires of Sand (since combat plays out in a competent tower defense engine, plus a few additional rather innovative mechanics for TD PvP).

I'm almost surprised such mechanics has not been explored so far within the freemium social city builder genre. But I suppose skill-based elements might be at odds with the target audience for the genre, and might contrast with the primary motivations to invest in IAP for these titles. And interactivity with depth in combat might take away from the accessibility and comfort that grant freemium sims 2+ millions of downloads and an excess of sold IAP content.

10. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Love Star Wars. Hate Clash of Clans and anything like it. Gave it a try. Deleted after 5 minutes as to me it's not really a "game". It's just pressing here and there and waiting and watching. Not my definition of fun.

11. Trust me, there are strategic mechanics in it. Go further in the campaign mode you'll see.

12. worldcitizen1919

worldcitizen1919 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I've just begun this and I love the theme, units, graphics and sound effects but I've never ever been able to really get into any Clash of Clan type games. But IAP costs and timers and energy tend to spoil these games for me.

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    See how you get on, i thought the tutorial was pretty good, some of the early missions were quite good. I know it wont happen but i think back to the old Force Commander on PC (Basically Star Wars red alert), again its a shame those games dont get converted

I've got quite a hefty base now, some of the later missions are quite tricky but its good when you can unlock some better soldiers/ships etc.

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I mostly just say crap. So, I apologize for being misinformed.

But I've put in a ton of time on other games like this one and have lost resources and troops to others. And that just isn't fun. When I lost all my healthy troops after a mission, I just felt cheated by this type of game. Again.

I'm just not cut out for this type of game. I want to like them, but the online ones just ruin it for me with timers, energy, troops, battles, etc. I'll retreat to my mud hut on Dagobah now and do some meditating or something.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i feel thats a joke and obviously theyve done this so you have to just keep trying to get money to churn out more troops. I'm torn ! Part of me really likes it, the other part thinks 'if only they did a decent star wars game !' (Only the Lego one is the decent one)

16. Again i understand your feelings. But it thanks to those games we'll see more AAA Star Wars games on iOS and Console.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Surely there will be some decent Star Wars games on the app store at some point. I think with Rebels coming out in October there could be a new game, hope its not too 'kiddie-ish'.

18. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Has anyone played this long term? I've been invested in another space themed CoC clone, hesitant to make the jump :/

19. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    You summed up my feelings exactly! I've seen this a hundred times, the only difference is the Star Wars aspect. They're not strategy games! You can't get anywhere unless you spend money on nothing useful. I'd rather spend money upfront than spend it on useless crap to get rid of timers. Star Trek trexels has got the same problem.

20. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    #120 pinOi32, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Do something else while you're waiting for timers to go down. Eat dinner, watch a movie, surf the web, stare at a wall, talk to yourself, etc. The list goes on.

Always remember to upgrade your collectors for the extra resources you gain from them. The higher the lvl they are, the more you gain per hour.

Low on resources and want a quick boost? Raid other people's bases or do single player missions. If raiding other people, be on the lookout for a poorly built base with a high amount of resources.

Also, there's no need to rebuild your whole base if someone comes along and destroys the whole thing. However, you'll need to rearm traps if they were activated by enemy troops. In CoC, you do this simply by tapping your Town Hall and tapping the Rearm button. Instant rearm.

Now, everything I said here applies to CoC, but should also apply to this game as well.