Universal Star Wars: Commander - (by LucasArts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    This looks great but then I see it's free.

GODDAMNIT!! I'm sick of greedy publishers pumping out freemium aimed JUST to bleed you dry. This type of game with a pay-once premium price of £3-5-10 would be so brilliant.

Damn I'll have to skip this now.. What a let down :(

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I would at least wait. Dont get me wrong i'm not a fan of freemium but look at Dungeon Quest which is 'freemium' but thats superb as its not too grindy/greedy. The whole point of this soft launch 'should' be to see whether users think it is too greedy or needs improvements etc

At least give this a go when its out. Not every freemium game is 'evil' and instantly dismissing a game when its free is just as bad as someone saying ios gamings bad after they've just seen a few games (and not even tried any)

3. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I can totally see your point but I'm a bit too long in the tooth to change my ways. I've been gaming since I got an Atari 2600 for Xmas 1977 and the idea of timers in games just goes against everything I love about gaming. 'Wait 15 mins or pay £1 for x' is just pure greed no matter how you spin it and it harms the gameplay.

Anyway I'll say no more on the subject, I'm just disappointed because this could be been so good.

4. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    All the more reason to keep playing LEGO: Star Wars and KOTOR and even emulate my favorite old Star Wars games from GBA and N64.

5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Bleed you dry? Just don't buy anything! I wouldn't pick up half the games I do if they were not freemium, never felt the need to buy IAP on any freemium title.

But rarely I will buy a 1 off IAP if I really like a game and stick to it a while and it's not a massive company just to support the dev.

As for this I do have Plunder Pirates and Tiny Realms soon I'm not sure I even need this.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    With freemium simply give it a go, you've got nothing to lose. Again not all freemium games are evil, some are very balanced and you actually want to buy an IAP or two to say thanks to the dev (Eg Bullet Time or Dungeon Quest etc).

IF it is an 'evil' freemium game simply dont buy an IAP or try one of the other 10 million games out there on the app store !

But what is wrong is writing off a game instantly thinking it'll be an IAP nightmare hell, 'might' not be the case, at least try it first.

7. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Well, I'll pick up where you left off because I totally agree! It is no longer a game, and just becomes a form of entertainment. Tiny Death Star is the perfect example. Sure it's fun to look at, but once you tap a few things, you really just sit back and wait or pay. Very much like going to a theme park or watching a movie at a theater. You pay, you wait, then you're entertained. Just wait for Star Wars Episode VII... They will charge you every 15 minutes to keep watching or else you'll have to leave the theater!

But really the first Star Wars defense game on iOS was Battle For Hoth, and it was pretty good, despite how simple it was. If they could have just made this premium like that was, it would have been a lot more fun and more like an actual game than just entertainment. I just wish this game was the portable version of Star Wars Empire at War... with an option to play OFFline. I mean, first they ruined The Hobbit by making it a city building/fighting game with dwarves and elves... neither of which are Hobbits. And now Star Wars is getting dragged through this free to play mud.

8. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Anyone know the size of the game.

9. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    I seen in past week a comment along the lines of "its free then... no thanks"!, now that makes me laugh, the times i seen people moan about the price of games and now there are people that will NOT download a game cause its free!!!. I mean come on its free, no one is forcing you to buy anything from it and how many games is on your iphone or ipad? Just play one for so long and then go and play another game while you wait for the timers to finish on the other game.

I seen Eli comment he does that same thing himself, also we forget get some of us play most of these games on iphone etc, they are not games machines they was not designed to me used for hours at a time but in short busts.

10. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Personally, I know that I often don't download free games because I don't want to send a bad message to the devs. Obviously the download itself costs me nothing, but do I really want the devs to feel like F2P is the only way to go on the mobile market, or that that's the best direction in which to take that particular IP?

That's why I still haven't downloaded, among others, a single F2P Star Wars game (Tiny Death Star, that Card Battler and, likely, this one too). On the other hand, whenever a paid Star Wars game comes out, I immediately get it (I didn't get KOTOR at release due to my not having an iPad - bought it as soon as it became an universal app, though - but I did that with LEGO Star Wars and the new Journeys Episode I game). And that's what I've been doing with plenty of other properties too! Like The Joker said in The Dark Knight, "it's not about the money, it's about sending a message!" :)

11. Magnum0ik

Magnum0ik Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Insurance Broker
    Portsmouth, England
    Ooooh. I like the look of this. I do play coc so if as good then I will be pleased - and I am someone who doesn't pay any IAP. (Paid £3 ever on coc).

Force commander or Empire at war would work well on ios. Rogue squadron and dark forces have already been mentioned. Also pod racer.

I just hope it launches in uk soon.

12. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    They're just not that fun for me usually. They aren't games for me. They either entertain me or they don't. And I'd like to see more people NOT download them "just to try" so the developer stops getting so many downloads... and hopefully we'll see a return of video games instead of tapping entertainment. I will admit that I have a couple that DO entertain me. But I don't need more than a couple entertainment apps to waste my free time on. I'd rather invest in games that I can pay upfront for. It's something that was really popular from when I was 5 years old until around 30. Then this F2P model arrived and now we can build a virtual "City" with a million different skins, and attack other peoples' cities when our timers are full. Just makes me sad that we can't have something like this without this lame business model ruining what could have been a game.

13. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I can only speak personally but I refuse to play games with timers. I will not have a game dictate when I can and cannot play. Also I've been gaming since the 70's so I'm used to games made by people who want us to enjoy it and have fun, not like these days where 'most' of the free ones are designed purely to bleed people dry. Okay now I'm going to leave this thread before I draw the attention of the mods, enjoy your game.

14. Zamrod

Zamrod Member

Apr 28, 2011
    From the video, this game looks precisely like Dungeon Keeper but Star Wars

15. rhljk14

rhljk14 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Swansea, MA
    Does anyone know how big the game is installed. Thanks

16. !nsomn!ac

!nsomn!ac Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Any idea when is this will be available in US?

17. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    You should check out http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=233875 this a free game, yes there are small timers but the amount of play time you get with is at weights the timers by 10 times as much, which is rare for a game so just cause its FREE dont give it the same brush as all over games

18. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No Details about it where yet announced from Disney/LucasArts.

19. Ikeda

Ikeda Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Sorry but the F2P market is so saturated that I agree with others.... it's just all a cash grab. No reason to even bother. I got suckered into Fable Age the other day and within minutes was bombarded to buy hero's... for 30 BUCKS! One hero. 30 dollars. Those better sheot gold as that's 30 apps.. or 5 super premium apps. Hell that's a Square Enix app. F2P is disappointing and jading me to the mobile market (course it's doing the same to the MMO market on PC as well)