Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. Never played this the first time around either, now I am curious how it will be.

2. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    The game didnt start at all?

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not quite sure why we are discussing Bastion in the KOTOR thread :) , but it wouldn't. Start, that is. It requires 4S and up.

With KOTOR being only the latest in a long line of games with the same requirement, we might have to declare the 4 no longer viable as a gaming handheld.

4. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Well, i would like to buy KoTor but i only have an ipod 4th. Will it runs slowly or not at all? I dont care if it runs slowly.

5. AspyrMatt

AspyrMatt Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Not at all. If I recall correctly, it crashes before you can finish making a character. The unsupported devices just don't have enough memory.

6. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Thank you. For the universal version as opposed to doing a seperate release.
    That was awesome. I rarely play games on my iPad. I had bought this and not launched the game even. Since getting it to my iPod I've actually started it up.
    A quick question, are there any graphical enhancements if I load it on my iphone 5 or iPad 4 vs playing on a 5th gen iPod? I prefer using the iPod for various reasons. If it's a lot better looking on the iPad or phone I might use them.

7. My poor iphone 4, sitting in the back of drawer, replace by a Note 3, reminds me, I gotta turn it into a mp3 player.

8. timmis6010

timmis6010 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I purchased this for the ipad back when it first came out and now when I go to the app store on my 5S it is still showing as $4.99. This happen to anyone else?

9. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    It happens when games get updated with universal support. If you click to re-purchase, App Store prompt will tell you have purchased this already and ask if you want to download. No worries, you're not paying anything again - it's just how the App Store displays it.

10. timmis6010

timmis6010 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Right on. Thanks for the heads up!

11. AspyrMatt

AspyrMatt Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Austin, TX

The iPad 4 will be a little better looking, it has shadows and anti-aliasing, which you won't get on the iPhone 5 or Touch 5. Between the Phone and the iPod you won't see much difference, but the better memory and processor on the iPhone would probably give you a smoother experience.

12. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks. Good to understand the differences. I've been playing on my most underpowered device and it's running well. Considering I've had much simpler games stutter and crash, you guys have done a great job with the universal update.

13. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    #873 warcrack, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Have promo code for this game,PM me your offer.
    Updated:End:)

14. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin

This are all valid points,thanks for contribute.

@Aspyr:Thanks anyway for a great port!

Funny bug?when i reloaded my old savegame,Bastilla was naked.I'm pretty sure i didn't do this,lol.

15. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #875 Cilo, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Any chance someone here is willing to do an updated gameplay video on an iPad air, or iPhone 5s? All the talk about how amazing these shadows are, it would be nice to actually see what the rage is about. :D

Update: Checked out the xbox review on youtube and that had plenty of shadows. I guess the xbox was more capable at rendering graphics than an iPhone 5?

16. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm not a SW fan, so don't know if I should buy this. Any non-fans here who bought it, recommend it?

17. theLorax

theLorax Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I'm on the fence with this game. I'm wondering if it would play okay on an iPhone screen.

The small screen has me saying no. But the sale price, and the fact that i've only experienced the first few hours of the game have me saying yes.

18. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Star Wars does nothing for me...... BUT, this is a GREAT game!!!

I recommend, you will not be disappointed :)

19. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    There's a nice thorough review on youtube by gamespot from awhile back that will tell you everything you need to know about the game. The good thing about KOTOR is it doesn't follow the story of Star Wars that you already know from the movies, it just uses the universe as a backdrop. If you don't like turn based rpgs however, you might not like this game. There is action, but at its core it is an rpg.

20. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    I swear I still get subtitles even though I have them turned off. I know ya still have them when it's an alien you're talking to, obviously, but I get them even if I'm talking to someone like Carth.

I haven't played this since it first came out on PC so I don't remember if it was like this.