Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Well,maybe you should look closer.I have shadows on my ipad4 ;-)

But anyway,that's a pretty lame reason for an uninstall.What are you playing?Graphics or games?

2. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    Don't get it wrong:it was not about shadows or not (in my case),it was the fear that another developer shows no love for the iPad 4.There's a huge gap between iPad2 and iPad4 (even between ipad3 and 4) and sometimes i'd like to see why i spent 700 bucks just 10 months ago.Why should i have sold my iPad 2 otherwise?

The same for Oceanhorn (and some other games).There's no real difference between iPad 2-4 and It runs at the same FPS on older and newer devices (barely 25)but then the air comes arround the corner with 60fps.I'm pretty sure an ipad 4 deserves more than 25 then.

3. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    So they update the app to make it universal, but then they charge you again for the new "universal" version? WTF?

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    They most certainly don't. However, sometimes bought apps can how up as non-purchased in the App Store. Buying them again will not charge you.

5. batmania15

batmania15 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2013
    No shadows on iphone 5

6. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Member

May 30, 2013
    QA And Community Relations
    Austin, TX
  7. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    shadows makes me want to buy a game that i previously don't like :)
    doesn't important to you doesn't mean it applied to others. i bought this game on launch day but i stop playing it once i noticed the lack of shadows. now its time to fire it up again on mini retina :)

8. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Ok, I found that out. I decided to buy it again while it was on sale, since I really wanted it for my phone in the first place, and when I tapped Buy, it told me I already owned it and it would update for free. Thanks. Sorry for the confusion.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yer welcome! :) I have yet to fire it up myself, actually, but it sits there on my device tantalizing me, and I am thinking this could be one of the great iPhone releases of, well... ever :)

10. ltcommander.data

ltcommander.data Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I'm not sure why that's surprising. The iPad 3 has a 2x more powerful GPU on a GFLOP basis, but has to drive 4x the resolution of the iPad 2 so GFLOP/pixel actually fell by half. The iPad 4 has a GPU a little more than 4x more powerful on a GFLOP basis than the iPad 2, but again drives 4x more pixels, so GFLOP/pixel isn't significantly higher than the iPad 2 and so you wouldn't necessarily expect to see huge graphical differences depending on what is bottlenecking the game. The iPad Air GPU is about 7x more powerful than the iPad 2 by GFLOPs and ~1.8x more powerful on a GFLOP/pixel differences which is why graphical quality is finally moving ahead. The move to Retina simply sucked up all the GPU performance improvements in the last 2 years.

11. akbaa

akbaa Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Shouldn't there be a settings file or something like this? I looked inside with iFunbox and all i found was a swkotor.ini file...it seems like it doesn't do anything though... (Looks like the default options for the PC version)

There should be another configuration file somewhere, right? People could then in theory change options for shadows and bloom there...and either get horrible fps or be able to maintain acceptable fps..

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Run it on iPhone 5 and still no shadow...

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm sure when a dev spends a lot of time/money trying to port (or create) a new game its probably easier getting it to work on one main device instead of making sure 'shadows' work on the ipad 4, but dont appear on lesser devices etc etc.

I mean surely today of all days we should just be happy KOTOR runs on iphones? I mean devs have so much to do with all the various devices and configurations, i'm not surprised if they may go for a 'standard' approach for most of the machines. They release games for peanuts.

14. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Shadows confirmed here on an iPhone 5S.

15. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Bought This. It better seriously wow me.

16. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I wanna buy this at $5. But 2 gigs? Not so much. Did I misread that?

17. batmania15

batmania15 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Damn something the iphone 5 can finally not do :(

18. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    how does it control on iphone? Heard it worked pretty decent on ipad.

19. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I have an ipod touch 4th gen. I know it's not supported. If I buy it will the game run slowly or wont run at all?

20. the fish

the fish Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Vienna
    I bought Bastion on iPhone 4 and it simply didn't work.