Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hehehe... Story and solutions to Quests change in between Light and Dark side. The solution changes are what makes the game a lot more replayable. If that isnt enough, you can also play as diffirent classes on each playthrough and can even play around using only Blasters to finish the game, which i did on the PC version years ago (which was hard coz the sabers just have more stuff that can buff them [feats and crystals], while you are stuck with mediocre guns).

That is what guarantees that $10 is a friggin steal, if one thinks the 40-hour gameplay isnt enough to justify the price tag.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Okay so I don't want to go into oodles of details about pricing so I spoilererd the crap out of that.

This game is awesome.

It's funny looking at how many things have changed in this universe that I love.

It's also crazy how they have conversations with full body motion, versus the "talking heads" in the early ME games.

And I really appreciate the fact that the gaming isn't twitch based, as I don't care for GTA and the ilk on touchscreen devices.

This, however, works just fine :)

Love it. And damn it I want MOOOOOORE!!!

While I agree that this game is worth well over $10, I cannot get behind the mentality of people spending large amounts of money on their iPad automatically making them wealthy enough that they can just discard costs of a game.

The fact is iOS gaming has been forced down to the free - $1 range and developers have a huge uphill battle to fight. And when games that are higher price drop by huge amounts constantly, it doesn't instill confidence in buyers.

That said, this game is doing incredibly well on the App Store, which I'm not surprised about because of one simple factor: Star Wars ;)

Like minecraft, Star Wars has a magical power to it ;)

Again I still stress the above, we can't put these kinds of "it costs less than a" labels onto games, especially with consumable food and such.

I don't buy lunch or coffee out and I don't usually go to movies and tend to buy them rather than renting them, so the analogies don't apply :). People need food (and I also believe they need coffee :)) and buying lunch out isn't generally a splurge.

I have a very limited amount of money to spend. I don't buy console games any longer and while I maybe spent a fortune on my iPad, it was a one time buy.

To be honest, I have likely spent way way way way more on games than I did on this iPad.

It's actually terrifying.... =\

3. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Dont get mad about these "costs less than" analogies... I think of them as they are... Funny, witty and entertaining to read.

Like... Costs less than a prostitute, and will satisfy you for 40 hours or longer. Oh, and you can do a second or a third, without paying extra. :D

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

And you just won the Internet ;)

Thanks for that. It's awesome :)

And I LOVE how they make it so difficult to stay on the good side, all these awesome powers sitting there taunting you to be eeeeevil.

I just can't be evil. I'm a weenie :(

5. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    22 hours in, and it feels like I probably haven't even reached the halfway mark. I didn't play the game back in the day so it's all new to me on the iPad, and I must say, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

The app store screenshots really don't do the game justice. There's a lot more to the game universe than those bland examples would suggest. Here are a few screens I've taken along the way.

[​IMG]

6. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Fun fact, that weird alien on the start screen next to bastila isn't in the game at all. He gets a spot on the cover but isn't even in the game.

7. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    #487 Riotgirl, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    I disagree. ME is reaction-based / twitch combat and would be horrendous on iOS. I played ME on Xbox 360 and it took me quite some time to get used to twitch combat, utilising the environment, and positioning my party - all whilst under enemy fire. Admittedly, the pause button came in use for when making tactical selections.

Doing all the above on a touch-screen device? I shudder to think.

Playing backwards i.e. ME, then KOTOR, one can see how much KOTOR influences ME, and how much of a debt ME owes to its older sibling. 16 and a half hours thus far in (just reached Dantooine), and in some ways I find KOTOR a little more satisfying than ME! Given how much I *loved* ME, is a testament to both Bioware and KOTOR.

The cinematics, orchestral sound-track, character interaction, and narration; full of iconic SW touches and moments, from Bith musicians and dancing Twi'leks, the robot whirls and hums emanating from droids, the mechanic, haltering steps from an early C3P0 model, and kinetic moments during fire-fights: the sound of blasters filling the air, and the familiar whooshing sound of a light-saber as a Jedi rushes into battle, hurling foes through the air, sparks flying as melee-weapons clash. I'm not even a SW fan!

8. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Forgot to mention, it took me a *long* time to comprehend what characters and the lore inform you with regards to why the use of melee weapons (other than light-sabers) is still feasible. It was only during a duelling match, when my blaster rounds where having minimal effect and then getting knocked unconscious by an opponent [Marl] wielding a double-bladed sword, that I realised that I need to adjust my tactics.

For that matter, timing one's melee charges *after* you've lobbed a grenade is important.

Don't get me started on how many times (3) I've blown myself up overloading a computer terminal, forgetting that my party is standing in the same room in which the soon-to-be overloaded terminal resides. BOOM!

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    At least you "forgot" your party was standing in front of the terminal. Mine was worse: "hey yeah, let's overload the terminal and kill any idiot who tries to access it", then quit the terminal... BAM! Party dead... WTF... Did I do that!?!?!? :D

10. {SQUEEK}

{SQUEEK} Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    *raises hand*

Also guilty of this. Overload the computer there is 3 people there! ....... Oh crap

11. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    I had been looking for the Xbox version to play on the 360 and I could not find it. To get a portable version for the iPad is a better way to go for me. The load screens on the iPad 4 are very short. It's just as exciting to play as when I played the PC version. Thank you for this release. It is my all-time favorite game!

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That's a generic selkath, and they're everywhere in Manaan. :D

13. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Can anyone help me? I have no idea how to
    Kill/get past the Rancor, I tried using stealth, but the rest of my party got instakilled.
    This has to be one of the BEST games on iOS. It's fricken amazing.

14. {SQUEEK}

Aug 23, 2012
    I used grenades. And ran back into the door. Back n forth.as soon as you go through the door he goes back to starting position.

It's weak but it works

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Did you get that item (looks like some sort of a vial, but i forgot the item name) from the severed arm along the way?
    On the rancor area, there is a pile of dead bodies where you will have to put in that vial plus a grenade, while using a stealth character. I managed to put it in there without stealth though (i went solo and no party), but having Mission who has stealth in your party makes that easier.

16. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    The item is
    synthesized odor. Put a frag mine in the pile of bones near the Rancor, followed by the synthesized odor. This will lure the Rancor over to the bone pile then blow him up.

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Any grenade works. I never use poison grenades during fights, so that's what i used on him. :D

18. {SQUEEK}

Aug 23, 2012
    Can't wait to try this out

19. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Thanks for the help! I got 'em! :D

20. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Anyone with a iPad 2 here can attest if the framerate stays solid when you leave Taris? Hard to judge before a graphically intensive section.