Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Penumbear. :p

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    They're an irritating and unnecessary omission, that's why some people, including myself, are annoyed.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If it improves gameplay perfomance (not that it was stated), then id prefer them removed. We know the ipads can handle them though, so i cant take my mind off the possibility either.

The reason the game is still top notch is that the core gameplay is still there, and it still looks and feels fantastic overall.

I think the main reason people steer away from it is not the removal of shadows, but more of the fact that they have access to the other versions which have them.

4. {SQUEEK}

{SQUEEK} Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I wish there were shadows so I can do shadow puppets

5. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    how long is the game and how is the replayability? can i make choices that affect the story like mass effect?

6. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    Very long, Great story line, and the replay ability is seemingly infinite due to the whole Dark side or light side charma options and character customizations

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dood... if it werent for KOTOR, Mass Effect wouldnt be what it is.

40-hour gameplay for first time players, and the amount of customization is impressive.

Want a pistol slinger? Want a heavy gunner? Want to be a thief? A smooth-talker who can talk his way into more rewards or out of danger? A Jedi? A Sith Lord? Want to use 2 lightsabers? A light staff? Want to save a backwater town? or do you want to send them all into danger?

These are just examples of what you can do in KOTOR. You can replay all you want and change some story angles.

8. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    sir you just sold me!

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm playing towards the light side. 6hrs into the game already, doing side quests and being "good" with everyone. Still on the first planet though. I'm slow, but I'm sure I'll have many, many hours of fun with this. It's just amazing!

10. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Actually amazed at how many people don't know about KOTOR and ask about game, am I that old ? :rolleyes:

11. As a 15 year old who didn't realise what was actually happening in the world of gaming in 2003, no you are not

12. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Playing through this game again has made me so desperate for more kotor that I finally started taking some serious chunks out of the old republic mmo. I hate mmos but you can sort of tunnel vision through it as a single player game.

13. Morgan01

Morgan01 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    USA
    2.3 GB installed.

14. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I have never played this franchise on any devise. Worth the price tag? Still a great iPad game?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, and yes. Just keep in mind that this is an RPG, not an action game, and certainly not for casual gamers. You'll have to put time and attention into the game to really enjoy it. The iPad version is actually quite good, though the movement controls take a bit of getting used to. For $10 you're getting what many people consider to be one of the best RPGs (and the best Star Wars game) ever made. Personally, I prefer Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, but that's in no way a put down :).

16. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I've never played this game before. Has it aged well? Any exploration? Is this set up like Mass Effect where you choose which area to go to? Any open world game elements like NPCs talking or doing stuff independent of you?

And I read in several retrospectives that the combat and structure is very MMO esque.
    "Fighting consists of positioning yourself near your enemy and slowly whittling their health down with normal attacks and special skills that have to recharge after use"

Does this get repetitive or boring? In the few MMOs I've played, I hated the combat and having to spam attacks and just...well, whittle away enemy health.

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Oh gawd here we go :(

18. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I know this response....

19. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Have you checked a wiki on the game? Have you checked a few of the previous pages? Have you bought frozen synapse yet (since you started a thread asking about WQ comparridons)? Have you googled it?

20. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Just got my first Pazaak deck. After 10 years I was actually excited to start playing again, I forgot how much I actually loathe the game.

I hate carrying stuff I don't use in games. Anyone know if you can sell your deck? I'm away from my iPad and can't get an answer from Google.