Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Wow, nine hours into the game, and I am just now getting to Dantooine...

2. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Ya I forgot how long this game was.

For this playthrough I'm trying my hardest to not look at any character build guides.

3. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I loved this game when I first played it (still in my top 5 of favorite games) and I'm loving it all over again. I can't believe just how much I'm enjoying it on the ipad. The controls take some getting used to but besides that its absolutely perfect.

4. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

With how well this is doing, I DO hope it means the there is the potential for future games!

I don't foresee this being good for jade empire or the ME games as there is a much larger focus on "twitch" gameplay.

I agree with the tap to move idea, though I think it might be a little strange with how you interact with the world here. But honestly, in no world would more options be turned away.

Honestly I would also like the option to have a virtual stick too.

There's also a part of me that realizes I could also play this on my 360 sitting in the same seat where I'm playing it on my iPad ;)

And yes, sadly I do realize the Internet seems to bring out the worst in everyone. I'm also sad the chatroom has been nixed, it was at least a great repository for those things.

Because of your unnecessary need to try and state your superiority due to your age... Multiple times now. And this comment seems to further cement how you interact with other people.

All I asked was for people to be nice, so this thread doesn't derail into petty bickering like far too many other threads.

This is all I'll speak to in regards to this. From here on it'll be game discussion only.

And on that note, an interesting bit of casting trivia, Carth is voiced by Raphael Sbarge (Once Upon a Time, Risky Business, Pearl Harbor, etc) and of course the Bioware regular, Jennifer Hale.

[​IMG]

Though I hate having a silent protagonist. I am so incredibly glad they changed that in Mass Effect. It is the one thing that kept me really hooked into Jade Empire, this and Dragon Age

5. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Man it's expensive to live on the light side,just handing out credits left and right, turning down rewards, sometimes just a thank you is all you get. It's a rough life.

6. stlredbird

stlredbird Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Amen. But I can't help myself, in all Star Wars games I've always taken the light side.

7. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Will this possibly come out on iPhone? Don't have an iPad so yeah, kinda want to play this despite the small display.

8. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Yes, yes, doubt it's feasible. Morrowind extensively used disk caching to load cells and keep track of all the pillow fortress built ;)

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Pretty glaring omission in leaving out Raphael's pretty major role as Kaidan in BioWare's other big sci-fi epic, the Mass Effect trilogy; I have to assume you let him die in the first game, then, and forgot about him. ;)

The developers have stated that there are no plans to bring KotOR to smaller devices.

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Not me...I've continued a habit, began in the late 90s, of turning off shadows before I begin playing any 3d game. It always seemed like a harmless way to improve performance.

Sure, that was before specular lighting and dynamic shadows, but...when you always play with Shadows turned off, you don't notice.

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    A real oldie was...crap, forget the name. Martian Chronicles? It was one of the games that were part of a DnD spin-off series which included Buck Rogers, IIRC.

I think you traveled to Mars with Jules Verne. Good old game. Probably older than what you are referencing.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im really happy with how KOTOR ipad turned out. This definitely opens up possibilities of more classic titles hat blew the world once over.

13. riChchestMat

riChchestMat Well-Known Member

You sure you don't mean Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams?

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Martian Dreams was the first thing that came to mind, but that was part of the Ultima Worlds spinoff series, which also included the Lost World-esque Savage Empire.

15. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Likewise, I have an older machine so turning of shadows is nearly always a requirement to claw back FPS. Honestly I really don't care if characters have shadows, ESP when games have bad clipping and shadows fall through walls they shouldn't so you can see there is someone there.

16. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    A game like this, I have played it through tens of times on pc and Xbox and when I got it on ipad I didn't even realize there were supposed to be shadows, its a very small thing that doesn't really detract from the game. Besides old game shadows weren't all that great looking anyways. I don't feel like I am missing out one bit.

17. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Library circulation rep
    Beaufort, SC
    The Buck Rogers XXVc games (Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed) used the Gold Box engine and a variant AD&D 2nd Edition rules set. They didn't feature Jules Verne, though. Both run great on iDOS if you have it.

18. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That Game is currently FREE on GOG.com

It's awesome.

19. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Basically if shadows make or break a game for you then you have problems

20. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO