Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The official rules state that if it works for X-Com, it is good for everything :)

2. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I do have one thing that is kind of a sour note about tablet games, this game is ten years old, but it instantly destroys nearly anything even remotely resembling an RPG on ios. Maybe we really are settling for less on ios, with this game, and xcom my bet would be this is just the beginning of us truly getting console size and quality games.

We need more of these full sized portion games!

3. jcpazos

jcpazos Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Software developer
    Mexico
    Thanks for you help. #

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The sad part is that means either more ports of existing games or somehow we convince a lot of people to start giving serious developers serious money.

5. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Full sized ports are at least a start, we can go from there, in the US kotor is the number one paid app right now, and its quite expensive for the App Store, so if this keeps up it will show that a higher priced game can be successful and that we are starving for more substantial experiences.

6. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Loving this more and more.

I hope it sells a crapload!! It deserves to and might encourage more old classics to visit ios land.

Also I hope the price stays, I'd hate to see it on sale.. Lets be honest here, at £6.99 its already a steal!

7. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    Not only is it the top paid app, but more importantly, it's the 3rd highest grossing app. KOTOR is making a killing right now.

8. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Really happy for this games success on iOS :) What else would you guys like to see ported or remastered? I'd have to say Planescape Torment, Fallout 2 and Morrowind.

9. Cg2005

Cg2005 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    DC
    I always had a soft spot for Jedi Knight (Dark Forces 2). I would love to see this come to iOS. I'm really impressed with what they have done with this release. I understand how some people don't care for the combat system, but I think it really translates well on this platform.

10. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, from what I understand, this gen on consoles wasn't great in respect to RPGs either. Yes, there were a some good action-RPG hybrids, but pure RPGs? Only a few. Which makes it even sadder, actually.

But really, I am all for ports of good games, old or not. Original content is not always better - as Nintendo and Sony could attest, what with tons of up-ports and re-makes of great older games continiously offered on their platforms...

11. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Dedicated handheld game systems take criticism when their libraries rely on ports of old titles, but I'd be happy as a pig in $&@! to pay $10 a pop for well-ported classics on the iPad. Specifically:

•Age Of Wonders II
    •Jagged Alliance II
    •Ultima VI
    •Hidden & Dangerous II
    •Temple Of Elemental Evil
    •Rebelstar: Tactical Command
    •Moonbase Commander
    •Warhammer 40k: Chaos Gate
    •Wizardry 8
    •Star Control II

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Age of Empires II would be my port of choice.

13. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #353 Crabman, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    i did not expected this but i must say that i really like the swipe movement now.It's just very relaxed to play it one handed,just with the forefinger.Needed some tweaks on the sensibility though.Exceptions are close rooms combined with partymember that likes to step on your feet (CARTH,get the f**k outta my way,hairless son of a tusken slapper #%*+"\^)

aaaaaah,and how i missed Pazaak.I already spent most of my credits for better cards instead of better gear,lol.I was SO disappointed when the first Mass Effect was released and the Minigames in there were quite lame compared to Pazaak,nothing in a later Bioware game came close to it (they decided to throw them out of their games instead.Shame.

Btw,i can't believe peoples descision to buy it or not are the...shadows.Makes me speechless a bit.Missing shadows didn't bother me much since i realized i can't talk to them,make them a partymember,fight,flight or explore them.

14. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    It's doing well in Germany too.

#2 Top Paid (Warhammer Quest #3)
    #6 Top Grossing (WQ #10)

I haven't yet bought it as I have the PC version and feel a little silly buying it twice, though it is the sort of game I want on my iPad. (That said, games like this & WQ remind me that as awesome as the battery is on the iPad, games burn through it)

15. Greg G

Greg G Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #355 Greg G, Jun 1, 2013
    Very cool! Did you by chance try to test if the save games are compatible between the port and the PC version?

16. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    In Spain it's also doing great: #3 Top Grossing. It's an amazing game. Never experienced it on PC. Loving it on iPad. In fact, I asked myself last night what on Earth was I doing 10 years ago instead of playing this. I quickly remembered I was more interested on discos and girls at that time :rolleyes:

Now with a family, I don't have much free time, but I think I'll play this game whenever I can :D

17. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    I would personally be VERY happy to pay £10++ for any of these:-

Railroad Tycoon 1 (2 and 3 sucked. 1 was epic, the 2D graphics were perfect)
    K240 (one of my fave games of all time)
    Ultima V (imo the best Ultima ever)
    Knights of the Sky (Epic WWI game)
    Wings! (Cinemaware's finest game)
    Silent Service (Best sub sim I've played)

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It's the #1 top paid app in the US, and the #3 Top Grossing (Warhammer is #4). I hope this encourages Aspyr to bring more of it's extensive back catalogue to iOS.

19. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

For someone who is supposedly older and seemed to claim to be more mature, you sure aren't acting it.

Please just try snd be nice? Everyone?

The game is excellent. Beyond excellent.

I was surprised at how the game works, as I am used to Mass Effect and Jade Empire which are more I guess "twitch style" in gameplay. Here, however, the graphics are nothing more than a shell to a pen and paper system. It's kind of strange, but the story and details behind it are fantastic.

I keep wishing there could be co op play in these games. Though it would be a little creepy getting it on with a friend... =\

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #360 Exact-Psience, Jun 1, 2013
    Hells yeah~

Fallout 1, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 too.

Holy crap and i just remembered Pool of Radiance!