Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm not hurt, believe me.

What about when one of your guys is in a heated firefight, and a second guy is 20 yards away, w/ no LOS to select an enemy? You have to quickly select him, and race into position, while yr other guy is under fire. I guess what I mean is, anything that has any real-time mechanics will necessarily demand more gamer "reaction-time" than a traditional turn-based affair like TOEE.

2. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009

To make it absolutely simple and I can't believe I didn't realize this way of explaining it, but all of kotors battle mechanics and character stats are built in a way that if you wanted and had the time to do the math by hand, you could play it on paper with a 20 sided die. That's the way these kind of RPGs used to all be built. So you couldn't take into account distance or character location on paper, so it's not in the game.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    In KOTOR, that guy who's out of range will automatically move into range even if you dont micromanage their movement.

Not that i think i hurt you, but more of i think because i was just wrong to go off like that.

4. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Maybe that's why I like the Warhammer "tape measure" type of play. Elevation, cover and distance are all factored in. I guess that's what I was thinking about.

5. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    I dunno. I was in that early-level Sith shoot out (over the uniforms), and I had one guy firing into the room. My second guy was outside and to the left. Couldn't swing the camera enough to target anyone, so he had no command. Just stood there until I manually moved him closer to the door, where I could tap a target for him.

6. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    what you should be doing is pausing the game, switching to the character in said danger and playing it in a turn based system and let the computer bring the other character over. But yeah, if you are going to reach that far then it's true,

though if you look up the accepted definition of twitch, it specifically mentions a split second reaction, like a head shot in an fps, or the reaction time of the highest levels of Tetris, or in general the requirement of reacting without time to fully think. This is the true issue I had, not an issue of real time affecting the game of kotor(which you've successfully reached and bent the rules to find a very specific example, which isn't a big deal), more the mis use of twitch, I'm generally not very receptive of someone using what is essentially a call of duty bro shooty term in my beloved RPGs.

7. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    Are we still talking about that?

8. jcpazos

jcpazos Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Software developer
    Mexico
    Rancor, How ti kill?

Hi

I can not figure How kill the Rancor. Can you give me some adrice here?

Regards

9. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    No because its become apparent that you will stretch and twist until you can find the tiniest example on how to make yourself right, even if 99.999% of the time you aren't. So I'm very done and now I'm going to help this guy kil the rancor.

10. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Take synthesized odor, and grenade, put it into corpse pile, hilarity ensues.

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I used poison granade. :D

12. icepulse

Aug 7, 2008
    It's for the best.

13. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    Search the severed arm and you should see an item named 'synthesized odor' and use Mission to go into stealth (or yourself if you can) and plant a grenade or two on that pile of corpses,the rancor will walk over to it and eat the grenade and die

14. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Do you have to keep reminding me that I'm not 20 any more? ;)

As to the rules, I think I remember there having been a stink (amongst an assuredly tiny portion of the gaming community) at the fact that KOTOR hadn't been updated with DnD 3.5 rule changes, or perhaps that was a later Bioware game.

A more exact reason I have trouble with most Bioware games is a function of the pause option. You can set it to pause after every round; I want to pause when any character in my party can perform an action. IIRC you can set the game to pause after EVERY action, but then it gets ridiculous.

15. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Agreed. Gears of War is vastly overrated.

16. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Ha ha. That's not really where I was going with that, but sure that works too. Ha ha.

17. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Perhaps we can get back to a decent conversation about kotor on ipad rather than bickering?

This game has been a huge surprise for me. I played about half an hour of it in 2003 and couldn't get the hang of the combat so gave up. Since then I've played Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 and enjoyed them, so it's interesting going back to the game that started it all.

And this time I'm loving it! I'm fact I'd go as far as saying that it does a lot of things better than Mass Effect, especially the later ones that became a bit too action orientated IMHO.

This is the first time that I've felt I've got a fully-fledged, involving, time-sink of an rpg on ios - and with it coming out of the blue like it did I still can't quite believe I'm playing it. I'm about 5 hours in now and loving it more and more - and I'm finding the movement fine, not s problem at all.

I'm realising now in 2013, with the benefit of hindsight, that this is a seriously good game. To have so much speech in it, so much to do and so much depth of gameplay makes kotor stand up well to rpg's of this generation in my opinion.

Now if only an Elder Scrolls game could come out...

18. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    What I do is pause after round and if that isn't quite enough I just... Push the pause button.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh... forgot to mention that since my first time finishing KOTOR1 on the PC years ago, my succeeding KOTOR runs have solely been Solo, no party. Even in KOTOR 2. :D

So yeah, now my guy is roaming around undercity Taris solo again :D

20. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Same with Jagged Alliance 2. Height, cover, distance, movement speed, stance (prone/standing/walking/crouching/running/"stealth walking", etc. I love the way turns work in that game...no turns outside of battle, you have complete freedom of movement; turn based "combat mode" kicks in when either a)one of your characters spots an enemy or b)an enemy fires on you. There are some other circumstances iirc.