Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Member

Apr 20, 2013
    Lol that's so cute, calling Skyrim an RPG.

You think Skyrim is an RPG, you aint seen nothing yet.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

3. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    That is still very very far from twitch gameplay. The Internet.... Being contrarian just for the sake of it since 1995. You press an attack and watch the character move into position on his own and carry out the attack on his own. There is zero aiming or split second timing based gameplay here. Sheesh.

4. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    I am at a loss. Just playing any bioware game for 5 minutes compared to wow or really almost any mmo would be so obvious on how they differ, but apparent there are wow apologists hanging out in ios forums, they have no dog in this fight so I just don't get it. Oh well. They will be missing out if they don't play kotor. Their loss.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Agreed, LOL. Somebody failed at gaming terminology 101.

6. briansanderson

briansanderson Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    This is one of the best games ever made. Anyone who has not played this on the other platforms should really experience this game now then.

7. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So I have been testing out mods that are available for PC on this and a couple of them actually work. I was able to get the mod that lets you start out as a jedi. I will keep testing more mods. Most mods just make the game have graphical errors or just crashes the game.

8. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    What's to apologise for? WoW has a crapload of story and lore. I don't like the game that much, but it's there.

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'm not interested in an argument.

I'm just saying that there are plenty of RPGs that demand no real-time positioning whatsoever. Often, in this game, I like to manually determine where my boys take up position, vs. the old "click on enemy, watch character run toward danger - rinse / repeat" type of thing. In this case, doing that opens you up to some fire, and you have to scramble. That's all I really meant.

I guess I think of full turn-based (a lá Ultima VI or ToEE) when I think of RPG combat, vs. the pause / unpause action that was ushered in w/ BG. I prefer it, but I still love this game.

Deus Ex is still my favorite though.

Feel free to explain why it's NOT an RPG, now.

10. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    By the one that lets you start as a Jedi do you mean the super skip Taris mod?

11. elisha11230

elisha11230 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
  12. Power Gamer

Power Gamer Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2013
    I will wait until they add the missing real-time shadows. No shadows, no money.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not quite as much the power gamer as your name implies, huh?

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Will someone please explain this damn pazaak to me. It's driving me nuts; I love card games in real life but I can't seem to figure out how to draw from the main deck - only my 4 side deck cards.

15. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    The cards get drawn from the main deck automatically, if you don't draw one from your side deck. You just click the option in the bottom middle to continue (sorry forgot what it's called).

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, just now figured that out thanks to a youtube video, thanks.

Really wish the tutorial had explained that.

17. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    There was actually a Pazaak game called Wager 20 on the app store a while back (it was originally actually going to be called Pazaak, but there were... issues >_>). Fortunately, I still have it on my device, but at some point it was pulled from the store entirely.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Aw... somebody really missed the point. Zeta was pointing out your definition of twitch gameplay. Im not even sure who smacked you with "it's not an RPG" but i may have missed that in previous pages :D

19. Zetaspawn

Jan 11, 2009
    Ummm what? If you play kotor, there is no real time positioning, the hits and misses are dice rolled regardless of where you stand or try to run. And my point was solely that it DOESN'T have twitch gameplay. You can try to run around and such in kotor if you want but it doesn't do any good.

To clarify further

There is NO point in moving your character around and playing that way would be awkward and difficult.

Dice rolls determine your hits and misses, for you and the enemies.
    Again none of this positioning you keep mentioning.

The battles are also turn based in the sense that you queue in an attack and let the character carry them out and you take turns with you and your enemy one person attacks and then the other one gets a TURN to attack and it goes back and forth. To simplify there is character A and character B, character A begins a battle, the game pauses, he selects his enemy and queues up 3 attacks. Next A unpauses, runs up to B all on his own and swings his lightsaber, a dice roll determines a hit or miss, then A stops, B then attacks, with A defending. He gets a dice roll for a hit or miss, then B stops, then A begins the second attack that was queued up at the beginning of battle. It may play out in "real time" but it is very turn based even during real time motion.

Final time: there is ZERO benefit to moving your character around in battle. There is nothing to avoid by moving, running left and right back and forth will not change the dice rolls and it will just make it harder to concentrate on your attacks.

For this being one of your favorite games and for sounding like you think you are a hardcore gamer, you don't seem to understand the basics of the battles in this game or even understand what the word "twitch" means in regards to gameplay.

This is a pointless discussion and I'm hoping that restating my point enough times will get it across.

Ps: I didn't ever say anything about anything not being an RPG and I have no idea where that came from.

20. retrogamer83

retrogamer83 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    United Kingdom

Are you implying Skyrim ISN'T a role-playing game..?