Universal Star Wars™: KOTOR (by Aspyr Media, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, May 30, 2013.

1. darthstuey

darthstuey New Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Awesome

I just spent a month getting a hard drive for my xbox at the right price and the waiting wry patiently for this
    In the end I got kotor 1 and 2 for 15 quid
    Have been playing number 1 for about ten hours and it is fantastic so if the ios version is anything lie the original xbox one get it
    I'm now looking back at the original xbox catalogue as I was out of gaming due to being a first time father when it was out
    Just got panzer dragoon
    That would make another great ios port

2. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That's not exactly true. When you want to position your characters, you cannot tell them where to move in the paused mode; you must "go live" and move them in real time, under fire.

3. nrfuller

nrfuller Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Office Manager
    Wilmington, DE
    I've only played a little but so far I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

I hope this sells well, if only to encourage other game makers to begin releasing their older titles for ios. There's such a huge backlog of games out there that while old, are still incredible, immerse experiences. My hope is that KOTOR is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of bringing actual, full console games to ios.

4. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #264 Crabman, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
    Is this the dialog.tlk file you can find in the net?But where can i locate it on the iPad?I tried it with iFunbox but no luck...

edit:nevermind,found the file.But i have problems to delete/replace the original file.Have to try a little harder^^

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hmm...maybe we can bump the graphics a bit, too. Add those shadows and increase the resolution.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I have to admit... This is my GOTW. Hell my GOTM even, and a very strong GOTY contender for me.

7. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    no matter what i'm doing i can't delete/replace the original dialog.tlk file with the new one.IFunbox does nothing and PhoneView says"maybe a read only"file...error:10

Any suggestions appreciated!

8. Liberachi86

Liberachi86 Active Member

Feb 28, 2013
    Where's My Water 2 QA
    Tried modifying the swkotor.INI file to add back the missing shadows and grass, and also increase the resolution (which is set on 1024x768 with 2x aa) but so far the game doesn't seem to be responding to INI changes like the PC version did, and resets the file everytime the app is run. Not to mention the INI file already shows that shadows and grass are enabled...

9. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #269 VirtualBoyFreak, May 31, 2013
    Well, I haven't tried changing the language yet, but when I asked about it in the Aspyr website I got the following response:

"As far as languages go, we only support English language and do not recommend replacing or tinkering with any files.

We dont currently have plans for localization right now."

So there you go, it seems no other languages will come in the short term.

I've been playing for nearly an hour now and I'm loving the game so far. I like controls too, but I guess that after reading all the post, I might be in minority here :p

10. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I own an iPhone 4S 16GB black, and an iPad 3 64GB wifi and 3G, also in black.

Previously owned an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4.

You lose.

11. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    No tablets, apart from those for hereditary high blood pressure.

I just don't tolerate those on forums who mouth off "facts" like they're in the the know.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The mods are only human (apparently), so you kinda have to use the report post button in the absence of an omnipresent member of the forum staff.

13. ipad2user

ipad2user Well-Known Member

May 9, 2013
    Bought!!

Lack of shadows is a little annoying but still, the game is worth 3x the price!

14. laxbro270

laxbro270 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Ok so the only rpg I have ever really played is skyrim and I am pretty skeptical about getting this game because I have exactly $10 left in my account and I don't know if I will like the game so can someone tell me how the game plays and what games are simular so I know wether or not to get this game,

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Well the only RPG you've played is Skyrim, and it's nothing like that, so...

Yeah, it's kinda similar to Mass Effect.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I know you said you've never played much RPGs, but you may be familiar with any of these following titles? Coz these have similar combat and RPG mechanics.

Neverwinter Nights
    Baldur's Gate
    Icewind Dale
    Planescape: Torment
    Dragon Age
    Fallout Tactics

17. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #277 VirtualBoyFreak, May 31, 2013
    I have found SW: KOTOR Spanish translation here:

http://academia.clandlan.net/?page=academia/view&id=78

Be aware before tampering with the language archive that:

- This is a translation of the PC version.
    - They say in that page that it SHOULD work fine (always talking about PC version), not that it does (Even though they mention it has been thoroughly tested in long play sessions).
    - The translation is ideal for PC v1.03 (but we don't know which PC version number the iPad game is based on...)

With this and what they've told me in Aspyr website, I'm sticking to the official iPad English version. Nonetheless, here's an option for those of you who want it in Spanish.

EDIT: I've just opened the archive "dialog.tlk" in my PC with the notepad and I've seen that aside from dialogue, it holds references and calls to many archives which I guess are of the PC version, and there are messages such as "introduce disk 1 of the game" and things like that. I'm not sure if in the long run changing the .tlk will give some kind of problem.

18. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    since they added new dialog to explain the ipad controls i doubt a plain switch of the pc dialog files will work.

the addition of thoose new sentences is probably the reason they do not offer different translations.

19. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    Amazon.com is my preferred method for reading reviews written by customers because by and large, the rating mechanism provides robust feedback for indicating the quality of the review.

There are 631 customer reviews for SW:KOTOR (Xbox version). The default listing is by 'Most Helpful' review by rating. The first couple of customer reviews will give you a good indication of whether you will enjoy this game.

As MidianGTX stated, SW:KOTOR is most similar to Mass Effect, because it provided the template for the latter. The major difference - aside from IP - is the combat mechanics: SW:KOTOR uses real-time, turn-based combat, whilst ME uses real-time heavy reaction/twitch based combat.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #280 Exact-Psience, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    ^ I believe it's called Tick-based or something (forgot). Basically it's turn-based played automatically unless you input commands in between default actions.